View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
JJ OOP facing 3-bet from LAG reg with 150BB
wager9
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 87
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 25, 2015 - 2:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

LIVE.
Blinds Level : 25/50

Eff. Stack was mine at 7500. V covers with almost double that

Villain: We have some antagonistic history. He is a TAGish Reg who is not afraid to 3-bet in position – especially vs me. I’d say he is a good player and is certainly not straight forward.

Hero: Active and aggressive. I just showed down Q8o which I raised from CO. So my image is likely LAG ish at this point.

Pre-flop: I raise to 150 (my standard raise) from UTG+1 with JJ. One guy calls (this guy is a bit of a station) and V raises to 550 from HJ. I call. Other guys folds.

POT= $1300
FLOP: 892

I check. V bets $650. I call.
POT= $2600

Turn: 4
I check. V bets $1500. I call.

POT= $5600
River: J

Hero??? And why?

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 2067
November 25, 2015 - 3:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t see why you’d do anything other than check-raise. Would you ever donk as a bluff in this spot? Or as a blocking bet? My guess is no, which means that if you bet, you’ll basically just be turning your hand face up as a monster.

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 924
November 26, 2015 - 6:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Turn is probably reasonably close – there are a lot of players, even fairly aggressive ones, who just don’t really have a bluffing range on that kind of a brick turn. Your range is pretty face up and there are almost no draws he can be barrelling with, so you’re relying on him barrelling with a pretty low-equity hand in order for you to have some equity.

Since you would probably be calling QQ vs the 3-bet and you would also likely check-call a set of 88 or 99 on the flop at least fairly often, JJ is actually somewhere in the upper-middle of your range right now, which means it’s acceptable to fold it if you have a decent exploitative read.

Once you call turn, however, check-raising is the only option on river, as Andrew says. You have zero hands in your range with which you would ever lead out as a bluff, so you need to eliminate a leading for value range, unless you specifically think villain is weak enough not to realise you’re never bluffing when you lead river. Since I imagine villain is at least moderately competent, check-raising is the way to go.

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
November 26, 2015 - 11:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah I had the same thought about the turn, think it’s probably a fold. I wouldn’t expect TT to be this size, and not a great spot to barrel AK/AQ either. I think OP is making too much of the fact that he’s seen V 3-bet light before. Just because he’s capable of it doesn’t mean he’s doing it constantly or even unbalanced towards bluffs, in fact I’d expect the opposite, most people early in tournaments are way unbalanced towards value when they 3-bet, especially against an EP raiser (who also tends to be way unbalanced towards value early in a tournament). 

joelshitshow
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 582
November 27, 2015 - 6:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a question. Do you not 4-bet pre because of the flatter? V may have a wider range of you because of your recent showdown, so it seems like there’s value in a 4-bet.

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
November 28, 2015 - 2:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

joelshitshow said
I have a question. Do you not 4-bet pre because of the flatter? V may have a wider range of you because of your recent showdown, so it seems like there’s value in a 4-bet.

What’s your plan if 5-bet? What worse hands are calling a 4-bet? Even if you have good reason to believe you are ahead of your opponent’s range, that doesn’t necessarily make raising correct.

joelshitshow
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 582
November 28, 2015 - 5:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fair enough. How do you have a balanced 4-bet range? Do you use stuff like 98s instead because it flops well?

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
November 29, 2015 - 6:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

When villain’s 3-betting range is reasonably polar (as it is here, since they’re unlikely to 3-bet a hand like KQs when flatting is so profitable), we can 4-bet a polar range as well – there are almost no hands in villain’s 3-betting range which might flat a 4-bet, and almost everything is either 5-bet shoving or folding.

We therefore don’t have to worry about having hands in our 4-bet bluffing range that can play well postflop when we get flatted – we can polarize our 4-betting range in response. Thus, I think including 98s in our 4-betting range here would be a mistake, since it has no significant blockers and is so far down in our opening range that we would probably be 4-bet bluffing too much. I think the best hands to 4-bet bluff here would be hands like AQo and AJo, since they have the best blockers to the parts of villain’s 3-betting range which would be 5-bet shoving versus a 4-bet.

As villain’s 3-bet bluffing frequency increases, we can start exploitatively adding blocker hands to our 4-bet bluffing range, depending on how many of them are in our opening range to begin with – the next ones would probably be KQo, ATo, KJo if we open it, etc. If villain’s value 3-betting range gets wider, we obviously 4-bet wider for value ourselves (maybe 4-betting this JJ would be good there) and of course adding a corresponding number of bluffs (usually roughly a 2:1 ratio of value to bluffs) to compensate.

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
November 29, 2015 - 12:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree with the principles behind ginger’s post, but to be clear, I think even 4-betting all of your AQo here would be a mistake, unless it’s for exploitive reasons. Think how narrow Hero’s value 4b range is. Even AK is more of a semi-bluff than a value hand in that range.

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
November 29, 2015 - 6:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, agreed. I should have specified that all AQo is probably too many combos. If we’re only 4-betting to get it in with, say, QQ+, then we have 18 combos of value, and having 12 combos of AQo to bluff with is probably too much. We’d want to bluff with around 9 combos, so something like 75% of our AQo and nothing else.

jonmon101
Midstakes Master
Members
Forum Posts: 116
December 5, 2015 - 10:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OK so if our range for getting to the river is basically , 99,88,JJ, QQ, shouldnt we just shove all those hands on the river and turn our QQ into a bluff? (9 value combos and 6 “bluff” combos) I doubt I’m smart enough to think of this in game, but we have to have the stronger range on the river after ck/c twice right? 

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
December 6, 2015 - 12:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting question, but I’m inclined to say no. I think Hero’s range can be a bit wider than that. How about TT and KK? Also shoving the river with that strategy would rely on Villain doing some combination of the following:

a. folding an overpair

b. checking back an overpair

c. rarely bluffing the river

jonmon101
Midstakes Master
Members
Forum Posts: 116
December 6, 2015 - 9:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeajh, idk the answer but if I’m villain I would def consider checking AA… I guess its hard to say if hero can have KK, tricky spot

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11986

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1