View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 (2 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Nervous Mike - My poker journey!
Kalculater
Nose Bleed Member
Members
Forum Posts: 428
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 22, 2015 - 7:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad to see the volume is paying off mate. Was great to see you on the tables too, even though we both ended up shorties and didnt even get to play any pots together…

~TearsAsLube

Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
Forum Posts: 141
October 29, 2015 - 3:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Long time no talk guys, sorry about that. 

Well, I’m still alive. I don’t really know where to start.

It’s brutal to be a full time MTT grinder, that’s for sure. Mentaly, to always make money, to not know how much money, if any, you gonna have by the end of the month. 

To keep motivation up and still grind. It’s hard. 

Few days ago I got a phone call from a tyre shop. The rumor is out that I did leave the old place (small town), and they had an offer for me in season. It’s that time of year when people need winter tyres on there cars.

I will work there for 6 weeks starting Monday, 100% variance free income. 
This is not a failure, it’s just a minor bump on the road. Get back to reality, real life. Hard dirty work… Get the hate and anger back, the motivation to never have to work a “normal” day job. 

So… poker results? What do me measure that in? Cashes? Well… nothing big, no bigger score, couple of close ones. Close but no cigar. We all know that it’s 1 or 2 tournament it all takes to swing back the year.

If we take and look at something else than cashes and look at other factors, to find some light at the end of the tunnel (and hope it’s not a train)…

I have over the year seen a development in my play if I compare EV bb/100 in intervalls of 100k hands. I have improved my position play a lot and overall my play is more solid. 

The last 155k hands I run a EV bb/100 at 7,41. Not great, but better than at start of the year and still room for improvements!

Hope to be back here soon again and be able to brag about some wins. 

Have a good one guys, thanks for reading and #Nevergiveup

Lloydy
United Kingdom
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 12
November 2, 2015 - 7:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very interesting read Mike!  Will look forward to hearing how things go for you in the future.

All the best!

Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
November 20, 2015 - 5:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, it’s friday night. Long days at work with overtime including Saturdays, not much time for poker. 

Did hit the tables tonight just to clear my mind some. Had a 8th place over at Partypoker in the Featherweight: The Right Hook $10k GTD, close but no cigar.

Plays shallow at the late stages and I got short stacked, did manage to ladder few spots and called off my last 5bbs with JJ vs CL aipf shove. He held KQo and hit a Q. Nothing I can do, standard from both sides. Next time I am the one winning that flip. 

A small win of $335, hey, everything counts! Just nice to hit a final table again!

Time to hit the sack, 4 hours of work tomorrow and hopefully some more poker after that. Best of luck to you all at the tables!

/Mike

Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
January 1, 2016 - 6:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starting the new year with a bink! Did deal heads up. I did belive I had an edge but heads up anything can happen and reducing variance can’t be that bad?

What’s your thoughts on deal HU? I did ask for a bit more than ICM too…

bink
Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
January 24, 2016 - 9:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not much to report, had an 8th place in the Big4.4 that I messed up. 

Testing out some other less time consuming formats at the moment as well. Lets see how it goes.

Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
January 25, 2016 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
bink

Small bink for $400, size doesn’t matter, always nice to win!

mykhalzyruskane
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 76
January 26, 2016 - 4:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now this inspires me! 107 posts of your poker life history! It’s great to see others examples of their successes and struggles and see people grow. This fuels me! Congrats on your win sir! A win is a win no matter what! Keep progressing, never give up and never quit!

Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
February 5, 2016 - 5:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Thank you for the very kind words Mykhalzyruskane! Appreciate it!
Yeah, this thread became more of a diary, some ranting, some results. A bit of all, but as you say it’s most of my poker life history and I’m glad if me ranting and sharing can inspire you!

So I have been grinding some different single table sit and go formats lately. Fifty50s and some regular 9 man. Been doing okey, the swings are in smaller scale and you can grind your Pokerstars starscoins more easily. But one thing that hit me, and I would never think I say this about poker, but they are boring, robotic!!

It’s just the same, a grind. You don’t get the rush, well rush is the wrong word to use… But for me the excitement and strategy adjustments that you get from the different stages of MTTs, are just naturally not there. But I hope to find a balance of both so I still can grind smaller sessions on days where I can’t put in a full scale MTT schedule. 

Results wise. Playing well, I see in my Hm2 database that the study and effort I put in my game pays off. I also notice I adjust my play a bit better in different situations than before. Small adjustments here and there, but overall hard to put the finger on exactly what it is, but whatever it is. It’s good for my game. 

Some binks and bricks as well. 🙂
3rd of feb I took down a small $5.5 $500 gtd on Partypoker, more like a Sit’n’go really because it only had 115 runners. But a win is a win. Also, had a 9th place in a $5.5 8k gtd turbo on Stars with 1939 runners. Brutal outcome of that one, but nothing I can do. I can’t control what cards that come, all I can do is to make a good decision with the information I have. That I did.

So after this, and being fatigue after “another close one” I did post the coolers and badbeats in the new TPE Skypegroup and that wasn’t too professional of me. Alex told me to keep the head up and play well and results will come. 
I went to bed, got 4-5h of sleep. Set the alarm early, got back up to start the grind again. It ended up in this one… #Nevergiveup

bink
joelshitshow
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 582
February 5, 2016 - 11:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice one!

Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
March 4, 2016 - 12:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Been grinding a lot lately. Nothing major to report. A 6th in Big 8.8 and a 35th in Hot 11 was the closest ones. 

Big8.8

Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
March 7, 2016 - 11:25 am

So I had this the week as well, but a very brutal Sunday. I still keep playing well so all I have to do is keep grinding. 
If I keep playing well, keep grinding, keep making good decision I will bink that bigger score soon enough.

Thanks for the kind worst on twitter azn007 as well, keep the head cool and have your mind in right place are for sure very important. I worked hard on that as well and I think I am on a good way there. 

Study much, play hard. #Nevergiveup. 

Hot11Image Enlarger
Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
March 18, 2016 - 5:49 am

Another close one, close but no cigar. 

Boomplayer hand

I have also updated the topic of my thread as this is no longer a 2014 Bankroll Challenge, it’s more of my poker journey so that is my new title of this thread.

Today is study day, including review the late game of this… Gig night and back at it Saturday and Sunday. 
Thanks for reading!

Big22Image Enlarger
BadAstronaut
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 89
April 12, 2016 - 4:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve gone through this entire thread and really enjoyed it – great story with some unreal results when you needed them. I’d love to see an overall graph, not just of results, but if this were possible a tracking of EV bb/100 as well to show the overall improvement of your game and how these increases in +EV spots came about. 

Really hope this keeps going well for you and you bink a couple more big ones. Great chatting to you in the Skype group – glglgl!

sharkfish96
Guppy
Members
Forum Posts: 4
June 29, 2016 - 12:36 am

Hey I’m on that pic of the Hot $11 😛 I knew I had seen your name somewhere… 

Haha, watching this is really motivating, its a real example that hard work actually pays! 

if you are interest we could make a study group or something… I really don’t spend much time off the tables, but recently subscribed to TPE, so if you have any interest don’t hesitate on sending me a PM 🙂

Hope to see u on the tables Mike!

BadAstronaut
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 89
June 29, 2016 - 3:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So what if anything has changed about your study/review routine? What are you doing away from the tables that you are finding most beneficial to your game?

W0RDS
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 18
July 9, 2016 - 3:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just read through your whole thread! Awesome read. Very inspiring to see all the deep runs on as difficult a site as stars is to play on. Pls keep the updates coming!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

WhiteMountn

Jensen68

PotCommitted

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11983

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1