View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Videos from 2010/2011
ColdZer0
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 20
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 24, 2015 - 1:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey, I have been watching some of the older videos including the Bankroll Builders and I have been wondering how accurate that information still is.. One of the reasons why I tried to stay away from books to learn poker is all the very outdated strategy, now 4-5 year old videos aren’t that old but I’m personally not sure how much poker changed and was wondering if you would still recommend watching them. Some things seemed weird to me like HITTHEPANDA saying he would never limp heads-up while in the newer videos I see a lot of limping between the last few players of a tournament..

Thanks for the help!

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 2067
December 24, 2015 - 3:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Depends on whether the strategy content is exploitive in nature. If it’s based on “when people do X it usually means Y”, that can change, but a book like Mathematics of Poker is several years old and still relevant as ever. I try to be explicit about this as much as I can in my videos, and I think my early theory videos are still pretty worthwhile for that reason.

mykhalzyruskane
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 76
December 29, 2015 - 12:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Something I like to pick up more on the definitely the math. Just so much math! Hard to fathom calculating all that math in a matter of seconds on a hand you’re playing. I’m considering buying the Mathematics of Poker book and checking it out. 

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 4582
December 29, 2015 - 1:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Strategies definitely change.  As TPE advances “and ages” it does make one wonder when (or if ever) videos should be removed. I think as long as people watching them understand that the game evolves and that the new the video the more reflective of the current game they will be, then it is ok to leave them up.  Plus, many old videos are good simply from an entertainment standpoint, which is at least for some part of the reason they watch vids.

cheers for the question!

mykhalzyruskane
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 76
December 30, 2015 - 1:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I noticed a lot of the videos in the university program are older videos. But at least for me they’re more than just for entertainment. I think they still have a lot of merit and value to see how things were compared to how and what things have changed today, what things can be exploited, etc. There’s a lot to learn from and extract from these videos old and new. For each individual that goes through them, I think it’s about is what to incorporate into their own game, ‘steal’ or use what is useful, exploit that which you may or may not intend to use, and add essentially what becomes your own.

wyldeyed
Lighting Money On Fire
Members
Forum Posts: 24
January 30, 2016 - 4:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

You could make an argument about some of the old vids.The ones I still think should stay even if they are 5 years old are the sticking it to the man vids or any vids where there is someone going over a HH. These kind of vids (maybe just to me) really help. You can see folks maybe not doing exactly right and the feedback to what could/should be done in a situation. 

Should add just having two folks talk about hands together really gives me alot to think about. I still go back and watch some of the older vids to just iron out the basics sometimes.

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
January 31, 2016 - 2:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

solid points guys.

tazzjazz
Midstakes Master
Members
Forum Posts: 109
February 4, 2016 - 10:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

don’t release the old vids!

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
February 5, 2016 - 3:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

By “release” do yo mean “get rid of”?  I definitely do not think we will not get rid of any videos.

joelshitshow
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 582
February 5, 2016 - 11:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Indeed, old videos allow for public shaming as we all get older (and bigdog’s newborn comes of age)

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

WhiteMountn

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11985

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1