View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
90 and 180 Player Final Table Question
Croc1
Guests
January 3, 2011 - 1:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey gang,

I'm fairly new to TPE and, after watching a couple videos of BigDog and Panda, thought I would tip-toe into the online tourney world.  I have had great early success (TOTALLY thanks to TPE!!) but have noticed something familiar each time.  When I got to the final table of both my 180-player tourney and my 90-player one, play seemed to digress into a “all-in festival”.  Damn the torpedoes and just jump to the nukes because we all were shoving so much we were guaranteed mutually assured destruction…except for the lone winner.

My question is this:  Is the all-in barrage just the nature of smaller tournaments?  In larger tourney final tables (like a Sunday major) would I see fold, fold, fold, fold, shove, fold, fold like I witnessed at the much lower staked tournaments?  I have yet to watch all of the recent videos with our TPE pros who make the final table, so perhaps my answer lies there.  However, I just wanted to get some opinions and ideas from you guys.

Thanks!

Croc1

RonFezBuddy
New York City

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 2313
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 3, 2011 - 1:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

were you playing turbos?  If so then that's your answer – the stacks are shallower.  Usually FTs are not shovefests.  There might be some shoving early on from a few of the smaller stacks but then things will stabilize and deeper stacks will emerge.

Croc1
Guests
January 4, 2011 - 10:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, it was a turbo and that does explain some of the shoving by smaller stacks.  I just finished watching a video of Panda gutting his final two opponents to win a major tourney.  The video re-instilled confidence in me that all final tables are not shovefests.  In that one Panda applied gentle, yet firm, pressure until one of his opponents imploded and the final one found himself being eaten alive…

lespaulgman
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 626
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 5, 2011 - 8:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Depending on the buyin for the 90 and 180 mans you were playing you could be running into situations where there are tons of small stacks and they are just trying to double as quickly as possibly once the money happens. I know in the smaller buy ins a lot of the time you will see one or two dominant stacks at the FT and the rest very shallow. Fear not they aren't always like that. A lot of how the FT plays in a tourney depends very much on the dynamics of the FT bubble. The longer that goes on in general the shallower everyone is and the more desperation sinks in. Pay jumps will affect this too. If the pay jumps are huge and biased towards the top it will calm a lot of that down as people aren't willing to risk everything for peanuts (relative to the top prize that is 🙂 ).

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

jankyjon

Elpokero

WhiteMountn

Jensen68

PotCommitted

kinser111

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11982

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1