View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
KK facing cold 4b 1000bb deep $5/10, (!!!frequency discussion!!!)
jacobsharktank
Florida
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 547
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 14, 2014 - 11:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print
I found this hand on 2+2 in the medium stake cash games forum. I'm studying hand histories before bed in my hotel room during the seminole hardrock poker open. i think this hand took place in england. i don't look at 2+2 much anymore, and i sort of don't get what a lot of these guys are saying, so i thought i'd bring it here. I can't figure out a way to hide my post, so I'm going to just post my analysis at the bottom. Please think/post before reading it, as I laid out enough stuff there that I think it'll be difficult not to get an unbiased answer without doing so.

i'm rereading pokers 1%, and this is the second nuts. i can't fathom how this would ever not be in our continuing range. i don't fully grasp how it works in multiway pots, but i think that if 70% of hands should be continuing (grabbing this number from miller), then that number gets taken to nearly 70% should be continued to the 3bet and then the 4bet between the 3 of us since the remaining 5 players to act aren't supposed to continue with very much..so.

"""""

Hero (UTG) £10000
Villain 1 (UTG+2) £3500
Villain 2 (UTG+3) £3000
Villain 3 (CO) £10000
9-Handed table, rest of stack sizes are whatever but assume everyone else has £2k.

Hero has KK raises to £30.
Villain 1 re-raises to £120.
Villain 2 calls £120.
Villain 3 re-raises to £500.
Folds to hero. Hero?

Villain 1 is mediocre pro, 3 betting merged value range with a few bluffs. Will play his hand honestly in this situation I think, but might be inclined to flat some stuff if I flat.
Villain 2 is recreational, not terrible but tilting a bit if I remember correctly. His range is pretty wide here and he 4 bets QQ, AK+.
Villain 3 is a good winning pro but is very LAG preflop. He has already cold 4bet once in a similar situation. I think he flats certain hands here so he is at least somewhat polarised but I'm not really sure.
Hero is viewed as winning pro, villains will have seen me 5bet light pre when deep but not very often. Basically if I continue everyone will assume I have a very strong range, which I obviously do.
""""

5 people left to act ( after villain 3 with 10k 4bets) with KK+/AKs, .73% (small number going ahead and multiplying by 5 but will be less than that), 3.5% of the 70% of hands should be continuing to the 4bet from the remaining crowd. the 3bettor and hero share the overwhelming majority of the remaining 65% if we follow hero' lead and discount the flatting possibly tilted guy who called 120. i'm not sure exactly, but if we treat the original 3bet like a pot bet and need to continue with 70%, that would mean that we'd do something like 70% x 70% for what we (and then the 3bettor) continue with, and in the 3bettors shoes, he would continue with 70% of his 3bet range (that number is still shared between the table). i'm not ure how much of the continuing ~65% is distributed between hero, the 3bettor, and the caller, but even if it's somehow evenly split among the three of us (i believe this to not be true based on how the tilty decent guy likely plays in this spot capping his range, but i'm not sure), that's talking about continuing with 23% of our opening range.

if our opening range is {22+, AQs, AK}, that's 7.39% of hand. .0739x.23 is still .0172.
since we wouldn't fold out the better part of our range and continue with the worse part of our range, KK would be in the continuing range.

if our opening range is wider and more speculative {22+, AQs+, AK, A2s-A5s, T9s, JTs, QJs, KQs}, that's 9.8%. .098x.23= 2.25% of hands. I don't know why we wouldn't have a bluff in this spot, but we could continue with QQ+, AKs, A2s, JTs and have 2.26% right there

I wanted to go to bed an hour ago, but it's really bothering me how many people said fold in the thread! I'm really bad at reading people through text, so I don't know how much of it was trolling but really I can't figure it out. 
jacobsharktank
Florida
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 547
August 15, 2014 - 12:09 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

and the thread. …..p-1463264/

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 2067
August 15, 2014 - 10:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Haven’t looked at 2+2 thread yet. I don’t think this is a situation where thinking in terms of Miller’s 70% is going to be helpful. That’s most useful in heads up pots, and this is not only a multiway pot but one with very uncommon and significant action. I have no idea, and I doubt Ed has more than a guess, about how the burden of defending to that 4b should be split between an UTG raiser, an EP 3better, and an EP cold caller.

The first question to ask is whether KK can even be played for value here. How likely is it that someone has AA given the action thus far?

The description of V1 is odd, as a “merged range” would mean he doesn’t have pure bluffs, and also his sizing seems large, so I gave him: {TT+,AQo+,AJs+,A5s,KQs} which is 5.5% of hands. Accounting for Hero’s blockers, this player will have AA about 10% of the time (6/59 combos).

Sounds like V2 as described will never have AA.

I think that V3’s range ought to be a lot more polarized, as his 4bet reopens the betting for an EP 3better and if I were him I wouldn’t want to do that even with hands as strong as QQ and I certainly wouldn’t do it with QJs. It doesn’t strike me as a spot where he’d want to squeeze exploitably wide either with tons of airballs. Really I think he ought to be on like {KK+,AKo} in which case Hero’s hand is a really significant blocker and he’ll have AA nearly half the time. Of course that’s such a tight range that it wouldn’t take much spazziness on his part to bring that % down significantly.

Against a V3 playing as I think he should be, my 4b range in Hero’s shoes would probably be {AA,AQo}, using AQo as a much better bluff than AKo both because I think I can call with AKo and because I don’t want to block Villain’s AK/KK when I 5bet. Against a spazzier one, maybe go to {KK+,AQo+}.

Really thought Hero may not want to have a 5betting range here at all. It forces him to define his range so much while giving an IP player good odds to call with a lot money behind. Of course a cold call defines Hero’s range somewhat as well, but I think he can get a little wider and it will help a lot if he’s able to keep AA in his range when he cold calls. So maybe cold calling like {JJ+,AQs+,AKo,JTs} or something like that. The biggest disadvantage of cold calling is that V1 can still 5bet, but he should have the same concerns about running into AA that Hero has.

So yeah, I think calling is best. I can’t see an argument for folding, you’d have to assume that V1 has AA a lot more than I think he does to make that better than calling.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1