View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
QQ with 106bb
smallcat66
Midstakes Master
Members
Forum Posts: 101
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 18, 2015 - 9:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am playing 25c/50c online and have 53 dollars. Villain has similar stack and is a reg of average ability.

It is folded around to the villain on the button who raises to 1.50, I am in the small blind with QQ and 3 bet to 5.25, villain 4 bets to 11.25. I don’t really know what to do here. I don’t want to get all the money in pre flop and I have no plan if I call. I call hoping to hit a set or if not see what happens. The regs on this site are not usually getting all the money in pre flop with anything less than QQ or AK. Any help guys would be appreciated.

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 2067
February 18, 2015 - 9:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

4-betting and getting it in can't be too bad, but given how tight a lot of players are with 4-betting at the small stakes, I could see just calling. If you do that, you're just going to have to put him on a range of {QQ+,AK} for seeing the flop and proceed accordingly. Probably that will mean folding whenever an A or K flops, calling most bets if it doesn't, and then making a decision on the turn about whether you think he'd bet again with AK (probably, given assumptions we're already making about the player, I'd fold to most turn bets).

What does your 3-betting range look like in this spot (SB v BN)?

smallcat66
Midstakes Master
Members
February 19, 2015 - 5:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My 3 betting range here would be fairly wide and polarized. well actually maybe not that wide with strong hands. AQ+10 10. I would also 3 bet with suited aces and medium suited connectors.

HUDs do not work on this site but having said that I have played a lot with the villain and I should know what he 4 bets with but I don't. Also I don't know if he ever 4 bet folds. It was only when I was posting this question that I realized that there was a lot of information about players that I am failing to gather.

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
February 19, 2015 - 11:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You don't have to have that info to make a decision. If you don't feel confident guessing what his 4b tendencies will be, then you should just construct a balanced 5b range. Given the width of your 3b range, QQ probably belongs in there for value.

mhonan981
Home Game Champ
Members
Forum Posts: 34
February 19, 2015 - 12:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Andrew,

I’m curious what a balanced 5-bet range here should look like given smallcat’s 3-betting range?

I feel like I’m 3-betting a similar range out of the SB in 0.25/0.50 6 max and run into this similar situation when 4-bet. Like you mentioned, players at these stakes only seem to be 4-betting AKs+, QQ+ and for many players its just KK+.

Part of me feels like you shouldn’t have a 5-betting range here at all and should just be flatting vs your standard 0.25/0.50 player. With stacks over 100+ bb you are getting right price to set mine with say TT-QQ and you reveal less when you have KK+.

I also play on a site with no HUD (I live in NYC and have a Mac, not many options), which can add to my confusion here.

Thanks

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
February 19, 2015 - 4:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, actually, I want to back up a bit, because I think the stated 3b range is too tight, especially against in a field where 4bets are not common. Honestly if you aren't going to get 4b much I'd probably just never flat SB v BN, but even a conservative 3b range that allows for some flatting should still be at least 10% of the deck, something like: AJo+,ATs+,A5s,KJo+,TT+,54s-T9s,J9s,T8s, and perhaps also the smallest pairs (22-55) that aren't good enough to flat. That's 12.5%. Personally I'd 3bet more like 17% and never flat.

If your opponent 4bets so tightly that you can't profitably shove QQ, then he's leaving a ton of money on the table and letting you realize a lot of equity. So although jamming QQ will be less good than calling vs a player who only 4bets {KK+,AK}, you're essentially already winning against that player by realizing so much equity with your 3betting range. The narrower your 3betting range, the less you exploit this mistake.

If you never 5b jam, or only jam AKs and AA or something, then you risk making the same mistake he is. That is, if he has an appropriately wide 4betting range, or anything close to it, then you let him realize a lot of equity with those hands that would fold to your shove.

smallcat66
Midstakes Master
Members
February 20, 2015 - 6:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Only a tiny % of regs in this game ( 6 max .25/50c) are 4 betting less than QQ or AK so ye I get your point that I should be 3 betting wider.

I called and the flop comes 8s 7h 3c  ( pot 23.50)

I check

Vllain checks

Turn 9h ( $23.50)

I thought about betting but checked

Villain checked

River 4d

Hero ?

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
February 20, 2015 - 10:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bet turn. As played, bet as much as you think he'll call with AK (don't be shy, this is probably a bigger number than you might think).

smallcat66
Midstakes Master
Members
February 21, 2015 - 7:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree with you Andrew that I should have bet the turn. I also check the river and Villain bets 17 dollars into a pot of 23.50. I call and he shows me AA.

Villain types into the chatbox ” Why would you call a 4 bet to check down the hand ?”.

The reason I didn't bet was that I smelt a rat or maybe it was fear. Anyway I think I played the hand badly but didn't lose too much

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1