View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
2020 Poker Goals Discussion Thread
Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 4582
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 13, 2019 - 3:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Per me and Marc’s conversation on the most recent TPE Podcast (out today) this is a thread to post and keep each other accountable on our 2020 poker goals and objectives. 

So what are your goals for 2020?

JMC_PGH
Arlington, Virginia
Flounder
Members
Forum Posts: 7
December 17, 2019 - 9:54 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I was just planning this the other day!

Here they are in descending order of importance:

*20 hrs/month studying

*45 hrs/month playing (all months other than June; still gotta figure out what my June volume goal is). I’d like to have as many of these hours as possible in live MTTs, but I may dabble some in Bovada MTTs or live cash if schedule gets tight.

*Total of $90k live MTT buyins

*6 weekend trips to WSOP/HPT circuit stops

I decided 2020 is kinda a “make or break” year for me. I’ll never stop playing poker but I think the progress I make next year is gonna tell me whether going forward I’m going to be a fairly serious rec player or a REALLY serious rec player. I was actually thinking of starting a weekly blog here to keep myself accountable.

About to fire up you & Marc’s podcast now, eager to hear what your goals are!

JMC_PGH
Arlington, Virginia
Flounder
Members
Forum Posts: 7
February 24, 2020 - 7:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Figured I’d post a status update here. I want to post these all year to keep myself accountable; might start a separate thread in Poker Goals & Challenges if that works better.

*20 hrs/month studying

January: 15 hours; February so far: 8 hours

This hasn’t been going great and obviously my focus for these last few days in February is to study a bunch to get back on track with my target. I moved across the country in January so I guess I have that excuse, but I want to really pick up the pace and study a lot in March so that I can say that I averaged 20 hrs/month for the first quarter. My main form of studying has been watching videos and typing up hand histories for my coach (Andrew) to review, but I also just got Snowie so I will be working on that going forward.

*45 hrs/month playing (more in June)

January: 52 hours; February so far: 42 hours

On the other hand, this has been going well. I now live 20 minutes from MGM National Harbor and can get a good amount of low-mid stakes tournament action regularly, so I doubt I’ll have any trouble reaching this volume goal. It also looks like I’ll be able to work remotely from Vegas this summer, so I can play a bunch of WSOP events and get a ton of volume in in June.

Results-wise I made a deep run in the WSOP Choctaw Main Event and was one of the chipleaders at dinner break of Day 2 before running into a couple tough spots preflop and busting 25th for around $8700. I also played my highest non-WSOP Main Event buyin ever, the $3k Potomac Open main event at MGMNH, but busted late day 1.

*Total of $90k live MTT buyins

January: $4,555; February so far: $5,200

Not worried that I’m technically running behind pace here since so much of my action for the year will come at the WSOP. Also there were some events, including the Choctaw main, where I was prepared to fire >1 bullet but made it through the reentry on only one.

*6 weekend trips to WSOP/HPT circuit stops

Might actually blow this one away. I went to Choctaw in January and have a couple more trips over the next few weeks (see below).

Some Stats:

Bullets fired: 17 (12 unique events)

Cashes: 5

ABI: $574

Upcoming Events (get in touch if you’re going to any of these!):

WSOP Circuit Main Chicago 2/29

WSOP Circuit Main Atlantic City 3/14

WPT Deepstacks Maryland Live 3/21

WPT Deepstacks Pittsburgh 4/18

P-aire 146
Showing Marc Alioto How Its Done
Members
Forum Posts: 832
February 29, 2020 - 8:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

2018 Was my best year every ONLINE & LIVE combined.  

2019 Was worst year in 5-6 yrs.  Ughhhh, but I played much less on both.  Family issue that couldn’t be avoided.  

2020 Sadly, Lost my grandfather who I was caretaker for.  But……… year has started off with BANGS!

-Took 2nd in WSOP sunday 100k for 17k.  Then won my WSOP MAIN Event seat beating Tony Dunst HU along with Calvin Anderson and Dan Buzgon in Final 4.  

So, year is off to a good start.  WSOPC is coming this week in AC.  Will be playing events 1, 2 and WSOPC Main AC.  Plus, the WSOPC online series is going on it’s 2nd week.  No cashes yet, but will keeping trying.  

Plan this year to play more ONLINE and esp Live.  

Hoping this year will be better then 2018 plus we are going for Grandpa.  #4Grandpa #TPE4LIFE  

Wish everyone lots of luck

Whiting
Guppy
Members
Forum Posts: 3
April 1, 2020 - 4:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck everyone. Just come back to the beautiful game after a few years out. No goals per se so far but I’ll be on the site regularly. Got our little girl due in June so no doubt I’ll be up most nights checking out the posts. 

All the best this year, hope everyone is safe during all this madness. 

Gav

3for3
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 201
May 9, 2020 - 2:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a new goal.  Play 1 live tournament in 2020.  

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
June 1, 2020 - 2:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

3for3 said
I have a new goal.  Play 1 live tournament in 2020.    

This made me chuckle.  and let’s face it, we could all use some laughs in our life right now!!

So…how is everyone doing on their goals so far?

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
September 2, 2020 - 4:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cant believe it is September.  This year sure did not go as planned.

kondor
Lighting Money On Fire
Members
Forum Posts: 30
September 7, 2020 - 5:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not only is it September, but I still have not figured out what my goals for the year should be. 

Habeeb
Home Game Champ
Members
Forum Posts: 37
September 13, 2020 - 9:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Like 3for3 my goal was to play some live tournament poker and I got my shot and was able to final table an 80 man daily, minor brag. Hit the final table 2nd in chips and then things went bad and finished fifth.  Lost AK to KQ then lost JJ to Q9 but it was just great to be playing live again.  Wearing a mask for 7 hours straight really sucked but a small price to pay.  Now into a mandatory Illinois quarantine for leaving the state, lol.  

Habeeb
Home Game Champ
Members
Forum Posts: 37
September 13, 2020 - 9:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh and I did get to bust Clayton in an ACR tourney so all things considered I’m having a good year relatively speaking.

vhanna
Nottingham, UK
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 13
October 14, 2020 - 9:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi guys, I only starting ramping things up in June and then had a disc issue in my back (am guessing unrelated!) and therefore been out of action most of the year. I’m now playing a few nights a week and looking to make poker a bigger part of my earnings.

Goal for the rest of 2020 is to put in 20 hours a week playing and 10 studying to try to get sharper. Also focusing on playing 5 tables or fewer to make sure I’m on top of things.

ROI this year has been great but only across 100 or so tournaments so a long way to go.

The site has been a massive help to my game – looking forward to reporting back!

vhanna
Nottingham, UK
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 13
October 14, 2020 - 9:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Habeeb said
Oh and I did get to bust Clayton in an ACR tourney so all things considered I’m having a good year relatively speaking.  

Haha, real goals!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11988

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1