View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
3 players left in 180 player $2 turbo - thoughts on hand?
dragontamer
Guests
July 15, 2010 - 4:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hi all – so I’ve been playing some 180 man $2.20 turbos on stars lately, trying to patch up the leaks in my game before I move up in stakes. Below is a crucial hand from one of my SNGs and was interested in what you all think is the optimal way to play this hand out.

My thoughts going into this hand – BB is not tight, but not too laggy either – seems to be playing pretty decent. I believe he calls this pre with almost any 2, and checks it down most of the time.

Edited to add one more read on the hand: Also, the all-in player has been playing very well, and got unlucky to lose a bunch of his chips recently. We both are very interested in eliminating him I believe.

on the flop when he bets, I hesitate and try to put him on a range. We have already checked it down once before to eliminate the #4 player, and I am sure he wouldnt make this bet without a strong hand. So the range I come up with for him is:

All pocket pairs 77+

56,78, 89, 97, TJ

And that is pretty much it. His bet on the flop is pretty small, and I think if I hit my straight I am ahead of most of his range and can probably double up so I call. Turn comes and ace, and my thoughts on his range do not change with his bet. I think I am ahead of some of his range (pocket pairs TT-KK) and have draws so I call the smallish turn bet. On the river, I feel like I am ahead of most of his range. Would be interested in what ranges you all would think villain has here, and how you’d play the hand.

Poker Stars No Limit Hold’em Tournament – t3500.00/t7000.00 Blinds – 3 players

Hand Conversion courtesy of Tournament Poker Edge

BB: BB = 22.6, t158204

Hero (BTN): BB = 12.7, t89182

SB: BB = 3.2, t22614

Pre Flop: (t10500) Hero is BTN with 6[Image Can Not Be Found] A[Image Can Not Be Found]

Hero raises to t14000, SB raises to t21914, BB calls t14914, Hero calls t7914

Flop: (t65742) 8[Image Can Not Be Found] 9[Image Can Not Be Found] 7[Image Can Not Be Found] (3 players)

BB bets t7000.00, Hero calls t7000

Turn: (t79742) A[Image Can Not Be Found] (3 players)

BB bets t14000.00, Hero calls t14000

River: (t107742) T[Image Can Not Be Found] (3 players)

BB bets t35000.00, Hero ?

JDOG1645
Guests
July 15, 2010 - 4:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

To be honest you put yourself in a bad spot here. The best thing you could have done is simply ship or fold preflop, you only have 12 BB Im shoving. The BB played poorly be flating the shove by the small stack which leads me to believe his hand isnt that strong and we are probably ahead of his range but we called instead of jamming again making it more difficult to play as the pot is getting bloated preflop.

dragontamer
Guests
July 15, 2010 - 4:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

JDOG1645 said:

To be honest you put yourself in a bad spot here. The best thing you could have done is simply ship or fold preflop, you only have 12 BB Im shoving. The BB played poorly be flating the shove by the small stack which leads me to believe his hand isnt that strong and we are probably ahead of his range but we called instead of jamming again making it more difficult to play as the pot is getting bloated preflop.

I def agree with you that my play pre was weak. Throughout the tourney my play had been pretty aggro, and my standard move here is def to shove.

I think my greed got the better of me though, and I wanted to lock up 2nd instead of shoving and maybe getting called/busted in third as the pay jump is $42 for third, and $72  for second.

Having said all that – any thoughts on villains range here, and how you would have played the hand if you did just flat pre?

JDOG1645
Guests
July 15, 2010 - 7:02 pm

Well personally I would assume that we have a dead pot …The undiscussed course of action would typically be to check it down since the SB was such a short stack and get him out.  But you bet and if you were going to bet you have OESD and an over. I bet about half on flop with the A on the turn Im jamming.  Although I prefer to have simply checked the flop if we flatted pre. His (BB) range is super wide, I think he called for two reasons one the odds he was getting and the chance for the two of you to knock the SB out. So at the river I think we are probably beat and our play cost us about half our stack.

Hope I didnt come off sounding too rough, its a good hand to discuss.

dragontamer
Guests
July 15, 2010 - 7:09 pm

JDOG1645 said:

The undiscussed course of action would typically be to check it down since the SB was such a short stack and get him out.  But you bet

Actually I didn’t bet… unless u mean pre, where i bet enough to entice the SB to shove. I would def have checked the flop if checked to me. His BB range is super wide, but I think his betting the flop allows me to put him on a very narrow range – mostly I’m wondering how I did with the range I assigned him… which potentially, could be too wide of a range.

I called his min-bet on the flop, and called his turn bet.

JDOG1645
Guests
July 15, 2010 - 7:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh im sorry your right for some reason I thought you acted first.  That changes it a lotSurprised  I am somewhat aggressive so I would probably flat the flop bet like you did and then jam over his turn bet. I dont give hime credit for flopping a straight, if he did so be it. On that turn we have TP and a nice draw if we shove the only thing that could call us is a set or two pair both of which we are drawing live against. Plus our shove with the small stack dead in the pot shows huge strength.  Worse case scenario he busts us both out and your probably good for second, but we win the hand right there we are much closer in stake size going HU.  But again I play very aggro.

bigdogpckt5s
Guests
July 15, 2010 - 8:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just shove this pre or fold. Im never trying to play a pot with any hand but aces with this stack size. Get it in or fold. Id shove fwiw

Hagbard Celine
Guests
July 15, 2010 - 11:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i think calling PF is fine for such a great price.

on the flop i’d like to fold given your reads, but with such a great price i feel like folding is probably a mistake, although i’m not certain cause given the reads i feel like a pretty significant amount of the time we’re drawing to a 5.

on the turn, though, i think you’re leveling yourself in thinking that you’re ahead of any of his range considering your reads of the player. he just isn’t going to continue to barrel with one-pair hands worse than yours and he probably just checks his straight draws at this point–if he was even betting them to begin with. i like folding the turn.

the river is pretty gross. we have the idiot end of a 4-card straight on the board and a player who you’ve seen happy to check down in spots like this just went bet-bet-bet, with the last bet being significantly bigger than the first two. not sure if i’d fold in-game but i’d be surprised if it’s a good call.

dragontamer
Guests
July 16, 2010 - 12:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Hagbard – Your post was helpful. Of course he turned over TJ for the flopped nuts

What I was trying to decide was – did I just get unlucky, and would I often be ahead of his range here? I do feel like he would play any set the same way, but I think you’re right about his turn bet – he likely wouldnt be playing a weaker overpair like that, and probably not 2 pair either. Thanks much for your detailed post.

Wein
Guests
July 20, 2010 - 7:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hagbard Celine said:

I disagree.  Being this short I lean towards just a straight open shove pre. 

bigdogpckt5s
Guests
July 20, 2010 - 7:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wein said:

Hagbard Celine said:

plus 1

SFpwnt
Guests
July 20, 2010 - 7:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bigdogpckt5s said:

Wein said:

Hagbard Celine said:

plus 2

pkppp
Guests
July 20, 2010 - 11:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The first problem is looking at one tournement rather than the big picture.  Playing not to get third instead of playing to win will cost you alot of money in the long run.  That thought process caused you to min raise instead of shove preflop.  If your not going to shove, then you have to fold that hand preflop. 

The SB is shoving with almost any 2 there with him being so shortstacked, 2.7BBs if he folds, and now is in a position to triple up to 9BBs.  With your min raise you have made the SB shove which in turn is giving the CL in the BB 4-1 odds to call the SB allin.  The BB knows how cautious your play is, so he knows 99% of the time hes gonna get to see the flop with just calling the SB.  He also knows, unless you hit a big hand, your likely to check down the river to eliminate the shortstack.  After calling the additional 7900 you have now committed about 25% of your stack in a hand your most likely to fold to any decent size bet.

As for your read of the BB on the flop you are right, he wouldnt not make the min bet without a strong hand.  You can eliminate alot of those hands from him just calling prefllop and his min bet on the flop.   JJ, QQ, KK he is definitely reraising preflop.  Most likely also reraising preflop with 1010 to isolate.  He could just call preflop, but on the flop he would not be min betting with an overpair and openended straight draw.  As for 77 88 99 he would bet the flop heavy to isolate the SB allin to win the almost 70k pot.  He knows from previous hands that unless you have j10, which more than likely you don't, your folding to any decent size bet there.  Even if you have J10 he can't be eliminated and still has 2 streets to catch his boat and take down the tournement on that hand.  Based on your reads of him on previous hands, the only hands realistically he has where he would min bet would be A10,910, or J10

The problem with the call on the flop goes back to you not willing to get all your chips in the pot.  Your drawing to a 5 and 10 and even then not sure you would make the call for all your chips with how cautious you were playing.  So by calling the flop your just throwing those chips away.

The turn you have to fold with your unwilliingness to get all your chips in.  By calling the turn you now have 50% of your stack in the pot and really can't fold the ensuing river bet.

In short, play to win.  If you don't, you put yourself in terrible positions and cost yourself money.

dragontamer
Guests
July 21, 2010 - 1:29 am

pkppp said:

The first problem is looking at one tournement rather than the big picture.  Playing not to get third instead of playing to win will cost you alot of money in the long run.  That thought process caused you to min raise instead of shove preflop.  If your not going to shove, then you have to fold that hand preflop. 

The SB is shoving with almost any 2 there with him being so shortstacked, 2.7BBs if he folds, and now is in a position to triple up to 9BBs.  With your min raise you have made the SB shove which in turn is giving the CL in the BB 4-1 odds to call the SB allin.  The BB knows how cautious your play is, so he knows 99% of the time hes gonna get to see the flop with just calling the SB.  He also knows, unless you hit a big hand, your likely to check down the river to eliminate the shortstack.  After calling the additional 7900 you have now committed about 25% of your stack in a hand your most likely to fold to any decent size bet.

As for your read of the BB on the flop you are right, he wouldnt not make the min bet without a strong hand.  You can eliminate alot of those hands from him just calling prefllop and his min bet on the flop.   JJ, QQ, KK he is definitely reraising preflop.  Most likely also reraising preflop with 1010 to isolate.  He could just call preflop, but on the flop he would not be min betting with an overpair and openended straight draw.  As for 77 88 99 he would bet the flop heavy to isolate the SB allin to win the almost 70k pot.  He knows from previous hands that unless you have j10, which more than likely you don't, your folding to any decent size bet there.  Even if you have J10 he can't be eliminated and still has 2 streets to catch his boat and take down the tournement on that hand.  Based on your reads of him on previous hands, the only hands realistically he has where he would min bet would be A10,910, or J10

The problem with the call on the flop goes back to you not willing to get all your chips in the pot.  Your drawing to a 5 and 10 and even then not sure you would make the call for all your chips with how cautious you were playing.  So by calling the flop your just throwing those chips away.

The turn you have to fold with your unwilliingness to get all your chips in.  By calling the turn you now have 50% of your stack in the pot and really can't fold the ensuing river bet.

In short, play to win.  If you don't, you put yourself in terrible positions and cost yourself money.

Thanks pkppp – I agree with the people who are saying I should have shoved pre, I guess maybe in my OP I should have been more specific as to what I was looking for as to feedback.

After the tourney was over and I looked at the hand, I felt like the right move was to shove pre. I was less confident about what the proper thinking was once I found myself facing the flop bet +turn +river. I was hoping for more feedback as far as putting villain on a hand-range post flop, so I definitely appreciate your post, and Hagbard's. I've been trying to improve my post-flop play and especially working on hand reading.

I never thought to eliminate kk/qq/jj from his pre-flop range – but I think you make a good point. This player imo is sneaky enough that at least some of the time, he wouldn't raise pre with those hands – as that would be sort of turning his hand face-up imo. But on the flop you are probably right – he would have bet bigger with a vulnerable hand like top pair. I didn't take that into account and should have, as it would make it easier to fold that flop.

After thinking more about this hand I really butchered it. I hate my pre-flop play, my flop, my turn, and my river play.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11988

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1