View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
$300 6-max. Max Value?
Maniackid11
Eating Fish
Balla
Members
Forum Posts: 316
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 23, 2019 - 12:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Game Hand #81987685 – Tournament #11196262 – Holdem(No Limit) – Level 3 (15.00/30.00)- 2019/07/23 16:10:46 UTC
Table ‘9’ 6-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: Godscrilla (4622.00)
Seat 2: Maniac1130 (8807.00)
Seat 3: Rokhd (997.00)
Seat 4: Creed84 (4546.00)
Seat 5: Mikemaxryan (6570.00)
Seat 6: happyfishgirl (8182.00)
Godscrilla posts ante 5.00
Maniac1130 posts ante 5.00
Rokhd posts ante 5.00
Creed84 posts ante 5.00
Mikemaxryan posts ante 5.00
happyfishgirl posts ante 5.00
Rokhd posts the small blind 15.00
Creed84 posts the big blind 30.00
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Main pot 30.00
Dealt to Maniac1130 [Ad 3h]
Mikemaxryan folds
happyfishgirl folds
Godscrilla folds
Maniac1130 raises 90.00 to 90.00
Rokhd folds
Creed84 calls 60.00
*** FLOP *** [6s Ts Ac]
Main pot 225.00
Creed84 checks
Maniac1130 bets 86.00
Creed84 calls 86.00
*** TURN *** [6s Ts Ac] [9h]
Main pot 397.00
Creed84 checks
Maniac1130 bets 298.00
Creed84 calls 298.00
*** RIVER *** [6s Ts Ac 9h] [5h]
Main pot 993.00
Creed84 checks
Maniac1130 bets 248.00
Creed84 calls 248.00
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Main pot 1489.00
Maniac1130 shows [Ad 3h] (a pair of Aces [Ad Ac Ts 9h 6s])
Creed84 mucks hand
Maniac1130 collected 1489.00 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1489.00
Board [6s Ts Ac 9h 5h]
Seat 1: Godscrilla folded on the Pre-Flop and did not bet
Seat 2: Maniac1130 (button) showed [Ad 3h] and won 1489.00 with a pair of Aces [Ad Ac Ts 9h 6s]
Seat 3: Rokhd (small blind) folded on the Pre-Flop
Seat 4: Creed84 (big blind) mucked [4d Td]
Seat 5: Mikemaxryan folded on the Pre-Flop and did not bet
Seat 6: happyfishgirl folded on the Pre-Flop and did not bet

Here’s my thought process: I think at a 6 handed table, this deep, this is an obvious open. On the flop I bet smaller to attract the 6s and Ts. No flushdraw is ever folding either. On the turn, I bet big. Here, I want to really build a pot against any flushdraws/straightdraws while maximizing fold-equity. Plus, I think he could potentially call with a T-x type hand since i bet so small on the flop. On the river, all the FLDR missed. So i bet smaller to attract the T-x hands, but also to save a few chips in case he stuck around with a better Ax.

How was my thinking here?

3for3
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 201
July 23, 2019 - 10:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great if Villain will call Tx, and never turn worse into a bluff :).  

Preflop, your hand is fine to raise, but being on the button isn’t any better than being on the button at a 9 handed table.  If anything, it is a tad worse, since fewer low cards have been folded.

Think of your raising ranges compared to how many have yet to act, not the number of people that folded.

nkarapet
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 60
July 24, 2019 - 1:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would not probably open A3o with 40BB. If open I would not blow the pot with top pair bad kicker, even that your hand probably ahead on BB’s range. You are not denying any equity since nor draw neither Ax (all of them beats yours) folding.

On turn I believe your hand is already behind so you are turning your hand into bluff while having reasonable showdown value. On river I do not see too much cards you beat. And if he shoves you have 400-is behind to call 2200, so no way you are folding. However by betting so small you are letting him to call with weak Ax like A4/A5 which could fold on shove.

Just my thoughts…

Maniackid11
Eating Fish
Balla
Members
July 24, 2019 - 7:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

3for3 said
Great if Villain will call Tx, and never turn worse into a bluff :).  

Preflop, your hand is fine to raise, but being on the button isn’t any better than being on the button at a 9 handed table.  If anything, it is a tad worse, since fewer low cards have been folded.

Think of your raising ranges compared to how many have yet to act, not the number of people that folded.  

Even if Villain does turn worse into a bluff, that’s fine. I think my hand is a good bluff catcher in this spot since the flushdraws missed.

I didn’t mean being 6-handed was relavant, I was just pointing out that it’s a 6-handed table. On the button is on the button. Besides, we have one of the Aces preflop, so there’s 19 cards Ten or higher left. On the fllop there’s 17 left. So I’m not too worried about him having monsters. If he does have big cards, good for him because he’s getting my chips.

Exactly what I was saying about being on the button. I think this deep, when it folds to me here, my range should be pretty wide. Even more so if the SB and BB are playing to tight. Regardless of how many people folded before me. With that in mind, if the BB is aware, he could call me wide knowing that my range is wide. I would expect him to call me with almost any two suited cards. T4 suited has 38% equity against my range, and I offered the BB 36% on a call. I know that you won’t always realize your equity but you don’t have realize it any more than 64% of the time to break even.

Maniackid11
Eating Fish
Balla
Members
July 24, 2019 - 7:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

nkarapet said
I would not probably open A3o with 40BB. If open I would not blow the pot with top pair bad kicker, even that your hand probably ahead on BB’s range. You are not denying any equity since nor draw neither Ax (all of them beats yours) folding.

On turn I believe your hand is already behind so you are turning your hand into bluff while having reasonable showdown value. On river I do not see too much cards you beat. And if he shoves you have 400-is behind to call 2200, so no way you are folding. However by betting so small you are letting him to call with weak Ax like A4/A5 which could fold on shove.

Just my thoughts…  

I think with 40bbs on the button, I am opening any Ace.

I bet small on the flop to attract worse hands. Something like pocket 33 44 or 55 could call along with 6x hands and Tx hands. We don’t neccesarily want to deny equity on the flop. Like you said, no flushdraw is folding. What we want to do instead is keep our opponents in with a wide range. This allows us to be more creative on the turn and river while building a pot in case we are ahead.

Why do you think we are behind on the turn? My flop bet was small enough that we could be way ahead.

The turn I bet big to get those junky flushdraws out along with any backdoor straight draws. The only flush draws that would call are the Kx, Qx ones. My bet sizing was big enough on the turn to induce better hands to play back at me, even more true since we have position on them. If they did catch their straight, the could get us to pay them off by raising us on the turn. Plus, we could also be on a flushdraw. So any straight at this point would be incentivized to get us to fold our flushdraws. I think the villain check-calling here caps his range.

Which brings us to the river. The river was a great card for us. Since I don’t think the villains range is all the strong at this point, I think we should go ahead and bet for value. This is where sizing comes into play. I really want think about the villains range that would check call flop and turn. I think that betting big here polarizes our range, so we don’t want to do that since our value targets at this point are smaller pairs. Mainly Tx-type hands that are trying to realize their equity.  So I chose a smaller size to entice the villain to look me up with those hands.

nkarapet
Grinding Micros
Members
July 24, 2019 - 7:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got distracted with your name :(, was thinking you have 1130 chips .

You are 150BB deep, not 40

Still think A3o is not opening until have read that both blinds are super tight. About rest will reply later

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 2067
July 24, 2019 - 10:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t think this hand is strong enough to put so much money into the pot. If the turn bet were small, you might be able to get away with going for three streets here, but definitely not for a big bet. I don’t know why you think you’re such a favorite against Villain’s range. Charging draws is nice, but one draw got there already and Villain has better Ax, some slowplayed two-pair+, and some turned two-pair+ in his range. A big bet makes it easy for him to call with hands you’re ahead of and fold hands you’re beating.

I’d start by checking flop then go for two streets if Villain checks turn. Other two-street lines are also fine, but you have a lot of better candidates for betting flop, and this is a pretty good one for checking (because it isn’t a big favorite when called and it doesn’t gain much from folds).

Maniackid11
Eating Fish
Balla
Members
July 24, 2019 - 10:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Foucault said
I don’t think this hand is strong enough to put so much money into the pot. If the turn bet were small, you might be able to get away with going for three streets here, but definitely not for a big bet. I don’t know why you think you’re such a favorite against Villain’s range. Charging draws is nice, but one draw got there already and Villain has better Ax, some slowplayed two-pair+, and some turned two-pair+ in his range. A big bet makes it easy for him to call with hands you’re ahead of and fold hands you’re beating.

I’d start by checking flop then go for two streets if Villain checks turn. Other two-street lines are also fine, but you have a lot of better candidates for betting flop, and this is a pretty good one for checking (because it isn’t a big favorite when called and it doesn’t gain much from folds).  

I do agree with you about turn bet-sizing. I noticed after I posted this hand that it was a mistake. In game, I remember thinking  “if he calls the flop, I’m going to bet bigger on the turn to build the pot against flushdraws but not to big to get his Tx hands to fold”. In retrospect, my sizing was to big.

I don’t necessarily think that I am a favorite against his whole range, I was trying to target a portion of his range that I am ahead of each street.

There’s 16 combinations of straights that get there on the turn but there’s also many combinations of Str. draw + Pair and Flushdraws that didn’t get there on the turn that I wouldn’t hate if he folded and wouldn’t hate if he called either.

You’re saying this hand is better played as two streets of value opposed to one or three?

Wouldn’t you say Button Vs. BB ranges are wide here? So small bet on flop keeps him in with everything. I think it could be a mix of checking/betting turn but using a smaller size to like 50-60%. and then small bet on river.

Ok, so betting small on flop, checking turn, calling a river donk or betting 50-60% when checked to makes more sense now. We do this to keep both of our ranges wide on the river. Which would also be similar to Checking flop, betting turn and betting river. Is this what you’re saying? I think I understand now.

nkarapet
Grinding Micros
Members
July 25, 2019 - 12:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maniackid11 said

I think with 40bbs on the button, I am opening any Ace.

I bet small on the flop to attract worse hands. Something like pocket 33 44 or 55 could call along with 6x hands and Tx hands. We don’t neccesarily want to deny equity on the flop. Like you said, no flushdraw is folding. What we want to do instead is keep our opponents in with a wide range. This allows us to be more creative on the turn and river while building a pot in case we are ahead.

Why do you think we are behind on the turn? My flop bet was small enough that we could be way ahead.

The turn I bet big to get those junky flushdraws out along with any backdoor straight draws. The only flush draws that would call are the Kx, Qx ones. My bet sizing was big enough on the turn to induce better hands to play back at me, even more true since we have position on them. If they did catch their straight, the could get us to pay them off by raising us on the turn. Plus, we could also be on a flushdraw. So any straight at this point would be incentivized to get us to fold our flushdraws. I think the villain check-calling here caps his range.

Which brings us to the river. The river was a great card for us. Since I don’t think the villains range is all the strong at this point, I think we should go ahead and bet for value. This is where sizing comes into play. I really want think about the villains range that would check call flop and turn. I think that betting big here polarizes our range, so we don’t want to do that since our value targets at this point are smaller pairs. Mainly Tx-type hands that are trying to realize their equity.  So I chose a smaller size to entice the villain to look me up with those hands.  

Lets build BB pre calling range inspired by “Wide Ranges” video. It would be pairs 22-88, all suited hands excluding 24s-J2s, Ax up to AJ (included) all offsut broadway, 87o+. Total 54%. I defend my tighter range, but I am not good example 🙂

On flop we have 76% equity against this range. Let’s assume BB defend against your CBet (1/3 pot) with all sets, 2 pair, all pair, all FD which is 50% of BB original range (I think it is very loose calling range on flop, but lets stick to it).

On turn you bet big, so I would assume BB will cal only with straight, sets 2 pair, top pair. Against these range your hand has 25% equity. If we add all FD (which is not profitable for BB to call) your equity will go to 40%. If instead you add Tx then your equity goes to 51%, but I will be shoked with BB calls such a big bet with all Tx. So let’s add  Tx with J+. Still you will have only 43%. Let’s add K high FD, all FD with any pair. Even with this range your hand has 47%.  And BB overcalls with this range.

Blank river and you bet 25% of the pot. So if BB calls with Tx+ you have 37% equity against this range.

I really think the ranges much tighter especially on turn. I do not think BB will call T with less than KT. In this case on turn we will have only 33% and on river only 12% of equity.

Maniackid11
Eating Fish
Balla
Members
July 25, 2019 - 8:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

nkarapet said

Lets build BB pre calling range inspired by “Wide Ranges” video. It would be pairs 22-88, all suited hands excluding 24s-J2s, Ax up to AJ (included) all offsut broadway, 87o+. Total 54%. I defend my tighter range, but I am not good example 🙂

On flop we have 76% equity against this range. Let’s assume BB defend against your CBet (1/3 pot) with all sets, 2 pair, all pair, all FD which is 50% of BB original range (I think it is very loose calling range on flop, but lets stick to it).

On turn you bet big, so I would assume BB will cal only with straight, sets 2 pair, top pair. Against these range your hand has 25% equity. If we add all FD (which is not profitable for BB to call) your equity will go to 40%. If instead you add Tx then your equity goes to 51%, but I will be shoked with BB calls such a big bet with all Tx. So let’s add  Tx with J+. Still you will have only 43%. Let’s add K high FD, all FD with any pair. Even with this range your hand has 47%.  And BB overcalls with this range.

Blank river and you bet 25% of the pot. So if BB calls with Tx+ you have 37% equity against this range.

I really think the ranges much tighter especially on turn. I do not think BB will call T with less than KT. In this case on turn we will have only 33% and on river only 12% of equity.  

What is this “wide ranges” video? Is it a TPE video? If so, can you provide a link?

In game, my though process was to target all Tx, flushdraws, and smaller pair type hands. I realize that my turn sizing was a mistake. In my defense, I don’t remember making it this big. In my head, I made it bigger than flop but not so big to fold out Tx hands. I see the mistake now.

Which is what I think Andrew was saying. Check flop, bet small on turn and bigger on river. Or bet flop check turn bet river. Or bet flop bet turn check river.

Villain can still have nutty-ish hands, or hands that have me crushed. I just didn’t think it was likely because of his passive actions. Again, I see where I made a mistake on the turn and with sizing. 

nkarapet
Grinding Micros
Members
July 25, 2019 - 6:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was referring to `Wide Ranges with Matthew “theginger45” Hunt`, need myself to rewatch again…

Hopefully I didn’t provide just some noise in the discussion above, but for myself was useful 

Maniackid11
Eating Fish
Balla
Members
July 25, 2019 - 9:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I will have to check it out sometime.

Foucault

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 2067
July 26, 2019 - 11:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The existence of worse hands in Villain’s range isnt’ enough to justify betting. You need to be ahead of Villain’s full range of hands that will call (and/or pick up equity from his folds) to make betting +EV.

Maniackid11
Eating Fish
Balla
Members
July 26, 2019 - 11:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Foucault said
The existence of worse hands in Villain’s range isnt’ enough to justify betting. You need to be ahead of Villain’s full range of hands that will call (and/or pick up equity from his folds) to make betting +EV.  

That makes more sense. Thank you!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11988

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1