View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
4-bet spot in FTP 100r
RonFezBuddy
New York City

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 2313
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 21, 2010 - 11:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Is this a good 4 bet spot?  The OR and the 3 bettor are pretty aggro and have been mixing it up.  The guy who 3 bets has shown no discernable pattern to my raises when he opens. 

Here I’m thinking this might be a good 4 bet spot given the positions and aggression of both players. 

Also, I assume that if I 4 bet and get shoved on I have to call?  My initial thoughts are making it 4200.  Would making it 3750 let me get away from 5 bets?

Thoughts?

Full Tilt Poker, $140/280 No Limit Hold’em Tournament, 6 Players

Board:
RonFezBuddy (BB): $16,224
BLUEVEGAS (UTG): $5,180
Alllllright (UTG+1): $19,650
YrrsiN (CO): $15,280
benvo123 (Button): $10,149
JBlaze20 (SB): $9,151

Dealt to: RonFezBuddy
[Image Can Not Be Found] [Image Can Not Be Found]
Pre-flop:
(3 folds), benvo123 raises to $645, JBlaze20 raises to $1,512, RonFezBuddy ? 

Wein
Guests
April 22, 2010 - 12:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

if you raise and get jammed on by either of them, you are basically going to have to call.

Let’s say you make it 4k.  There’s approximately 2k in the middle already, so 6k total.  Then jblaze shoves 7600 more, so there’s now 13839 behind and you have to call approximately 5k more.  You are getting almost 2.7:1 on the call here.  So unless he shows you KK or AA here, you’d have to call. 

Based on that, you have two options:

1.)  Fold.  (best option)

2.)  4-bet jam.  You don’t want to give players preceived fold equity when there isn’t any.  I’ve seen the original 3-bettor do some weird stuff.  I think based on that we don’t want to give them any room to 5-bet shove thinking they have a spot when they don’t.  I’m not a big fan of this at all, but if you’re going to do anything besides fold, this might be your best option.

Yes/No?

Hagbard Celine
Guests
April 22, 2010 - 1:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

yeah you and the BTN are only 36BB effective.

cold 4-betting (meaning 4-betting over a raise and a 3-bet from players other than yourself) is a really strong play and gets more credit–generally speaking–than 4-betting over a 3-bet when you are the original raiser.

jblaze is pretty crazy, and definitely capable of 3-bet/folding a ~35BB stack, especially against a cold 4-bet. so i think you have a ton of fold equity here and assuming you have a reasonably tight image i think this is a great spot. it would be nice if you had KQs, but whatever. i think that AXs, suited broadway, the bigger suited connectors and small-mid pairs are all decent hands  to bomb it with here.

as to whether or not you can 4-bet small and get away from it, wein pretty much nailed it. there’s just no way with 36BB effective you can 4bet and then fold. especially against someone like jblaze who might see a small 4-bet and actually think that that’s what you might be doing here.

and really with 36BB i think you’re best to just be shoving your whole range when 4betting, just like you’re probably shoving your whole range when 3-betting with 20BB.

if either villain had you covered then your bet-sizing here would be interesting but as is it’s a pretty simple shove or fold spot.

bigdogpckt5s
Guests
April 22, 2010 - 10:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The simple answer to this question is no its not a good 4 bet spot. The reason its not a good 4 bet spot is. Its not the right time in the tourny to be making this type of move. Ya its a 6 handed table and button raise could obviously be air biscuits so therefore the 3 bet range is certainly light esp given the villian.  You are hella deep and can wait to later stages of a tourny to be making these moves when theres way more value in them. So no its not a good 4 bet spot. There is no need to risk this much of your stack at this point in this tourny. Ship it to Ronfezbuddy tho 🙂

RonFezBuddy
New York City

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 2313
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 25, 2010 - 10:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Results time.  JBlaze had shoved and I called for odds.  He had KK.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1