View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 (1 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
40/80 JJ in SB facing CO 4-bet Sunday Kickoff
Nqon
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 198
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 23, 2012 - 9:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print
 Poker Stars $100+$9 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t40/t80 Blinds - 9 players

TournamentPokerEdge.com Hand History Converter

fullhouseiii (CO): t4850 60.62 BBs
hareakala (BTN): t4106 51.33 BBs
Hero (SB): t14586 182.32 BBs
Daroxxx (BB): t6536 81.70 BBs
gdonk7 (UTG): t3687 46.09 BBs
Artem 110488 (UTG+1): t5010 62.62 BBs
Toddolino (UTG+2): t5000 62.50 BBs
Wise_Owl1989 (MP1): t11719 146.49 BBs
Dsavo (MP2): t5182 64.78 BBs

Pre Flop: (t120) Hero is SB with J of clubs J of spades
5 folds, fullhouseiii raises to t200, 1 fold, Hero raises to t545, 1 fold, fullhouseiii raises to t1160

Sunday Kickoff. Villian is decent winning, has been playing tight over small sample since he got to the table. This is my first resteal and this is villians first steal oppertunity. No history. I don't think he has seen any pots of me other than an open-cbet win.

I vary flatting and threebetting here with jacks at this stage, but I feel like this is a good spot for me to threebet light (althought perhaps a bit too early, but have to set up the image at some stage) so therefore I go for it.

Check out my "going pro" poker journal, updated weekly with wins, losses and my progress as a player:

Click here

FkCoolers
Cambridge, Ma (Central Square)
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 1610
December 23, 2012 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The default readless range for the 4b is QQ+ and AK so it's a fold pre. 

Too bad he's not deeper because then we could at least set mine on him. 

I wouldn't advocate flatting to most players here because sometimes you forget that his preflop range hasn't changed and you can't find a fold on a low flop and end up Negreanu'ing yourself. 

bennymacca
Adelaide Australia
Road Gambling with Doyle
Members
Forum Posts: 2616
December 24, 2012 - 1:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

FkCoolers said:

The default readless range for the 4b is QQ+ and AK so it's a fold pre. 

Too bad he's not deeper because then we could at least set mine on him. 

I wouldn't advocate flatting to most players here because sometimes you forget that his preflop range hasn't changed and you can't find a fold on a low flop and end up Negreanu'ing yourself. 

pretty solid advice here

Nqon
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 198
December 24, 2012 - 3:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Yeah. Thanks for the reply, sorry for superstandard hand. I got it in like a donk and I just needed to post it to embarress myself enough to remember. I hadn't been getting out of line at all (which is somewhat rare, I have a tendency to play the early stages too aggressivly, something that I'm adjusting) so I had no reason to think he was light.

Had a decent run, but busted out in 22nd- after some weakass shortstack play. My shortstack play is much much better in the $55, $22's and $75turbos than in the $109's and $215's- i really don't care about the cashjumps before the final table, I just havent finaltabled a buyin over 100 so I really want to do that. Definitly a leak.

Check out my "going pro" poker journal, updated weekly with wins, losses and my progress as a player:

Click here

Carlos
Atlanta, Ga
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 778
December 24, 2012 - 8:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like the idea of setting up a light 3better image at those stake. Where I play that image is not necessary so I flat.

If I think he's opening light, I call to keep the air in his range. If I think he's opening tight, I call to set mine.

Yeah it's a leak but there is no shame in playing a little weaker to reach a goal imo. Once it's done, you will be much more comfortable when you get back there. I did that recently to cash in the first $109 I ever played and now when I play them I feel like I am able to go for broke. Once I get close to a final table, I'll probably go through this process again. Good job on the deep run.

Carlos
Atlanta, Ga
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 778
December 25, 2012 - 2:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

To you last point: Im watching a vid with DannyN playing turbos and he makes some folds on the bubble that could be shoved. That makes me wonder if it is a leak or not.

In one hand he has QTo in HJ+2 with 7bb. That looks like a shove to me and I've heard we should actually shove wider on the bubble. He says they are 3 away from the money as the reason why he folds so even the pros do it.

Maybe we should shove wider on the bubble if we have a big stack and tighter if we have a short stack?

iSoAssassin
Perth, Australia
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 11
March 11, 2014 - 2:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Def fold pre. I would have 3bet for value as well. Just bad timing. His range here imo is AK….. AA -QQ. Your crushed.

iSoAssassin
Perth, Australia
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 11
March 11, 2014 - 2:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

And that bet size tells me its more like AA KK….

pckrrr
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 57
March 11, 2014 - 6:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

– Bigger pre this deep

– Flat instead of 3betting if you intend to 3b/f, (why would you turn JJ into a bluff?)

As played I flat the 4b, we are still deep enough to set mine and we are still doing well vs strong Ax hands and his bluffrange Don't fully agree with the ranges given above. Shoving doesn't make sense because we are only getting called by better. 

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 924
March 11, 2014 - 12:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Think it's really close between shove pre and flat pre. People are probably going to think flat sounds weird but the fact is you're getting better than 3 to 1 preflop, and people shut down a lot postflop when you flat in spots like this. Essentially what I'm saying is that if we really do think his 4bet is so strong that he exclusively has QQ+ AK+ preflop, we gain equity (compared to shoving pre or folding pre) by giving ourselves the chance to fold on some A or K high boards and win when he checks back his unimproved AK, even if we occasionally get into weird spots or give up chips vs QQ+ on low boards. Having said that, if you're uncomfortable with these kinds of postflop spots and think you can't play them profitably then folding vs shoving is probably pretty close with all that money in the pot.

For the record, I think your preflop 3bet sizing is pretty much fine.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11986

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1