View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
910s on the button, KQs on BB
kardi31
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 56
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 1, 2017 - 3:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello everybody,

yesterday I had a couple of hands which I would like to share with you and ask for your feedback.

1. Hot $5,5 , blinds 200/400 ante 50

It folds to me on the button with 910s – stack 18BB

SB has 10BB, vpip 15%

BB has 25BB, vpip 23%

Would you call/raise/fold ?

Raise for me is not an option as I wouldn’t call when SB shove. I decided to shove, my 910 is not that often dominated (don’t see BB calling with A9) unless they have higher pairs. And when they call me with 2 overpairs I would still have 40% equity. 

I got called by BB with AQo, didn’t connect with the board and lost. 

2. Bounty builder $11, blinds 150/300 ante 45

It folds to the guy on SB with 45BB stack, vpip 35%

I sit on BB with 25BB stack with KQs.

SB raises to 2.5BB, I 3-bet to 6.5BB, he shoves. 

Would you call or fold? Would you 3bet pre-flop or just call in position? 

Bear in mind that in Bounty Builder tournaments people tends to do crazy stuff and play very sloppy and loose.

I end up calling, he has AKs, turned the flush and I was out. 

markvor
Home Game Champ
Members
Forum Posts: 33
March 1, 2017 - 3:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Hi there.

To 1) For me it is a fold, u got a -EV of 0,13

Here is the result of ICMizer with the values u provided

…..er/#yXVRJy

Range i would give the players SB/BB

SB Range: 44+,A8s+,A5s,A2s,A9o+,KTs+,KJo+,QJ

BB Range 55+,A2+,KTs+,KQo,QTs+,QJo,JT

To 2) How many Hands you got with him at the table?

I would flatcall the raise. You invested already 1 BB and the prize for 1.5 BB is really good to see a flop in position with a hand which plays really good at the flop.

3-Bet fold is not an option. You loose Fold Equity for better Spots.

Shoving 25BB’s in a non Turbo Bounty Tourney for me is not an option also. 

For me it is important to protect my bounty as long i can.

Turbulence
Falkirk, Scotland
Showing Marc Alioto How Its Done
Members
Forum Posts: 768
March 1, 2017 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

1. I would probably raise the BTN with the intention of calling off against the BB and folding to the SB. If the BB is a super NIT then you can consider raise folding to his shove (depends on your normal raise sizing). Honestly think open folding in this spot is pretty bad. 

2. Just flat the raise pre and play in position. No need to get crazy in this spot especially when you are the one at risk. As played it’s a fold to the jam. Under 20bb at the start of the hand I would get this in. By flatting pre you are keeping in all his worse Kings and Queens. 

What was the purpose of your 3bet? You really need to think about why you are 3 betting in the first place and what you will do if 4 bet or flatted. Have a plan for the hand before you make your first action. 

aka Prophead340 aka Prophead2000 aka Turbulence_1

PocketFives Profile: .....urbulence/

kardi31
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 56
March 1, 2017 - 6:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys for your feedback. 

I try to put a little bit more aggression in my game lately, but I think I over-do in those hands.

In first hand I know I wouldn’t call any of those guys’ shove and I did feel like raising and wasting 2BB with 18BB stack would be a bad idea.

Second hand, I had sample of ~90 hands  for my oponent(yes, I know it’s not much). The reason for 3betting was to increase the pot, KQs flops pretty well and I had position. Not that’s a legit reason, but I saw some decent streamer playing this hand the same way with same reason. Unfortunatelly I wasn’t really prepared for a 4bet-shove. 

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 924
March 8, 2017 - 9:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hand 1 is a very comfortable shove, you’re only 18bb effective against the BB and it’s very likely they’ll make a lot of mistakes against your shoving range. Plus I think it’s a Nash shove anyway.

Hand 2 I think 3-betting is fine, but once you 3-bet you can’t just fold there BvB. KQs is a huge hand in that spot and you have great equity against villain’s likely jamming range. I think 3-bet/call and 3-bet jam are both decent options depending on how wide you expect villain to be, but I really dislike 3-bet/folding a hand that strong on 25bb. Probably super exploitable.

Nas47
Home Game Champ
Members
Forum Posts: 37
March 8, 2017 - 1:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Note: I commented on the spots before I saw the spoilers.

Hand 1: The fact that the tournament is a turbo should incline you to shove when you get a good spot like this. The blinds go up relatively fast and the 18BB you had will become 14.5BB soon. If you shove and just pick up the chips you will have 16BB at 250/500 which is a better way to think than protecting an 18BB stack. 

Hand 2: I agree with theginger45 comments. In addition I think a) It would help you if you start thinking in ranges other than specific hands. I recommend Daryl Jace’s videos as he is talks about ranges a lot (This is from the videos I saw…I am sure there are many others who cover this topic). I used to fold in these spots and say “well he must have a good hand”. But if you think in ranges, even against some good hands bvb such as pocket pairs you have 50% equity. You have around 40% vs AJ and 30% vs dominating hands including QQs. Sometimes you run into the top of his range KK+ which sucks but that is poker. On the other hand villain can jam super wide for your bounty including hands you dominate and hands you are ahead of such as  KJ, KT, QJ, QT, JT  etc for your bounty and this is a great opportunity to double up to 50BB and hunt bounties yourself! b) Being aware of the effective stack sizes as well as your goal for the hand is important. With this stack size vs a SB range (not every range) i think it is decent to try to get it in preflop. You did well by 3betting if that is the line you choose to follow to get it in but if not just call IP and play some flops.

Final comment: I think you played both hands well! You just ran into the top of peoples ranges which is unlucky. 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11986

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1