View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
AK in Live MTT Day 2 Horseshoe Hammond - 1/21/2017 
mnosek2
Flounder
Members
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 25, 2017 - 2:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory
Blinds 100 ante 1k/2k 
Stack Size 110K (55BB)
Villains Stack Size 120k (60BB)
Avg Stack 95k

ITM Early on Day 2 of a $210 buy live MTT. No reads on the opponents at my table. 

UTG+2 opens to 4.8k 
MP3 flats 

We are in the cutoff with AheartKdiamond and 3bet to 13.5K. Folds around to the original raiser who 4 bets to 40k.

What is the best play?
1. Fold and wait for a better spot. 
2. Call and see a flop
3. Raise all in 

Any input is greatly appreciated. Cheers 
almofadinhas
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 586
January 28, 2017 - 7:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It seems to be a deep tournament.

I think if you feel that you have edge on the field you should fold this one, if you dont have an edge I would move all in;

Call to see a flop is horrible for me, since you are commiting almost 30% of your stack to see a flop, assuming you are trying to hit; if you have a read that V is capable of 4betting like that, with weaker aces, KQ, maybe KJ, and V is going to shove any flop that he misses, I would call pre and call flop, depending how it comes, but this is very read dependent.

To me, all come down if you have an edge or not, if you do, fold and outplay them later.

Turbulence
Falkirk, Scotland
Showing Marc Alioto How Its Done
Members
Forum Posts: 768
January 28, 2017 - 11:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

mnosek2 said

Blinds 100 ante 1k/2k 

UTG+2 opens to 4.8k 
MP3 flats 
We are in the cutoff with AheartKdiamond and 3bet to 13.5K. Folds around to the original raiser who 4 bets to 40k.

This is an awkward spot as the stacks are too big to be comfortable getting in pre but too small for playing post effectively. I think your 3bet sizing might have also contributed to the situation being more difficult than it needed to be. Facing just the original opener I really like your 3bet size, but with MP3 flatting behind I think your sizing is to small, think t needs to be more like 17-20k i.e. more decisive, the last thing you want to encourage is both players flatting you “because they are priced in”. Your smaller sizing has given room to the original opener to be able to 4bet wider and still be able to fold if you jam. Put yourself in the original raisers shoes, if you are sat there with the lower end of the top of your range AJs, AQs, AQo, 99-QQ you dont want to fold to such a small 3bet but flatting is ugly as well because MP3 is coming along for the ride as well, then you are OOP in a bloated pot with hands that will be tricky post, answer: 4bet. 

Another thing to consider is when the next blind increase will occur? if it is going up in 5mins and will be 1.5K/3K all of a sudden you are on a 30ish BB stack and this exact same spot is a no brainer get it in.  

I cant stress this point enough, before you 3bet in any situation you need to have decided what you will do if you get 4bet. In fact its best to have some idea what you will do if they flat as well. Having a plan in advance takes a lot of stress out of these spots and puts you on the front foot. 

aka Prophead340 aka Prophead2000 aka Turbulence_1

PocketFives Profile: .....urbulence/

rbbeagles13
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 52
January 28, 2017 - 3:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, I think Turbulence nailed it to me. I think you need to do two distinct things here:

1) three bet a little bigger, i think 20k is OK, but I would prefer 16-18.

2) before you even three bet, you need to have a plan. if you’re willing to go to the felt with this, which I think I would be considering your stack size, I think you need to be prepared to GII pre. If you are not, though, I don’t hate a call behind. IP with a very disguised hand is not a bad place to be. Plus, it opens the door for someone to squeeze light behind you.

The more I think about it, the more I almost like flatting preflop here. Your stack is just too awkward. With 30-35 BBs, you can easily 3bet to GII. With 65-75, you can easily 3bet to bloat the pot for value. But with 55, I think a flat does a lot. Obviously you’re not thrilled about going multiway, but you have to think that if you get 4bet by either player you’re likely racing at best. This does not seem like a spot where a weak 4bet would be common.

mnosek2
Flounder
Members
Forum Posts: 10
January 29, 2017 - 1:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you almofainhas, Turbulence and rbbegales13. I think my biggest take away from this hand is when 3betting always have a plan for what your going to do when your opponent 4bets or calls. I have to continue working on developing this skill.

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 924
February 13, 2017 - 1:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree with a lot of Turbulence’s post. The major thing I would add is that the phrase “wait for a better spot” should never be in your vocabulary – you can’t predict whether a better spot will come along or not. That phrase is just going to end up being a justification for mistakes. Figure out how profitable this spot is before you think about future ones – if it’s profitable, take it.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
23 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11987

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1