View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Borgata $600 6 max couple questions
joesmoe88
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 74
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 14, 2013 - 11:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok so the first hand is at blinds 8-1600 with a 200 ante. There are about 30 platers remaining and 12 cash. We are 5 handed and in the BB. It folds to the sb who limps. We raise to 3800 and the sb almost insta shoves for 44k. We have 80k and a little history with villain. In earlier spot, we 5 bet shoved AQ from the bb when he was on the button. And he tank folded saying he had 10s. I have also frequently 3 bet him in position and from the blinds.  What is your calling range in this spot? 

Second hand, we are down to 11 players and in the money however we only have 16bb and are the short stack in the tourney. The average stack at this point is probably around 60bb. We are on the button with 9 10 and villain limps from mp. I shove. Is this too loose of a shove? For the last couple orbits I had been pretty card dead and this seemed like the first good spot to try and steal. There are also no pay jumps for another 2 places and even then 9th only pays an additional $700. What do you think?

Just to add something about the tournament, the structure was great however, with a 135 person field as well as re-entry, only 12 places where paid. 10-12 got $1135 while first was almost $23k. Seems a bit absurd to me but i dont play a ton of live tourneys and dont know if this is standard.

P-aire 146
Showing Marc Alioto How Its Done
Members
Forum Posts: 832
June 16, 2013 - 3:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

First, I'm calling his Jam w/ TT-AA, AK, AQ maybe depending on your read of villain.  When you get down to 11 I don't mind your jam.  Sure you could wait and if that guy open raises, you have to fold.  I think he's horrible for open limping JJ, but that's just me.  NEVER open limp, wish you had QQ to crush his soul.  But…..ok, you jam. I think most of hte time your jam works he just decided to play a premuim hand badly and won. Sure, maybe wait or pick another spot. Just depends on your read.  I know most of hte guys at these two tables, was actually thinking I haven't really seen you much at Borgata because I'm a tourney reg most of the time.  Don't know the guy that busted you, but know Alex, Tony, the older guy who won and a few others.  Who's the guy that jammed on you?

joesmoe88
Grinding Micros
Members
June 16, 2013 - 11:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Michael Marder was the guy who limp jammed. Seemed like a solid player at the time and then I found out he had placed second the night before and has a reasonable amount of success at borgata.

P-aire 146
Members
June 16, 2013 - 12:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

wow, Marder limped. I'm shocked, but I know Mike would have a good reason.  Just reread the hand.  It's not crazy for him to lmp jam from the sb vs your bb raise.  Especially since you guys had a history.  He definitely had a hand.  Mike's not getting it in with bs.  He will cont to grind his stack to the very end.  He's a thinking player who plays on the tighter side.  Good fold.

FkCoolers
Cambridge, Ma (Central Square)
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 1610
June 16, 2013 - 1:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Factoring in a tighter range for live play I'm thinking something like 88 or 99+, A9o and A9s+

It's a bad spot for villain to open into us given what you've said about history. He can't just jam because we can play perfectly. If he opens 55 and gets 3 bet he's in a pretty rotten spot which is why you see a lot of limp/jams with this dynamic. 

While I think we can call off lighter and still be ahead, I don't think it's a great call off because we probably have an above average stack and we can chip up using other methods aside from taking a big flip for over half our stack. 

I'd defer to Pierre's answer over mine, though, because he plays a whole bunch at Borgata so he'll have player specific reads while the rest of us are answering based on only what we know in the original post. 

packallama
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 176
June 16, 2013 - 1:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

He doesn't sound like a thinking player if he 4b folded TT BU vs BB. That history is evidence that he is not GII unless he is sure he has the best hand. Definitely calling his limp/jam fairly tight. Fold the T9; just because you don't limp with premiums doesn't mean others don't. You didn't specify if it was suited which makes a pretty big difference. Snap fold if it's offsuit and probably fine if suited but very dependent on villain.

joesmoe88
Grinding Micros
Members
June 16, 2013 - 3:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess I should add that I tanked for like 5 min and called with AQ and he had A6. I asked the question more so because I think that’s probably the bottom of his range so it probably looked silly that I took so long but I figured that was probably the bottom of my calling range as well.

packallama
High Stakes Shark
Members
June 16, 2013 - 4:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It seems like he was frustrated with your aggression and decided to play back at you. AQ should be a snap call BB vs SB 28bbs deep. AJ is definitely a GII, but AT is close vs this player. He actually has a good hand to limp/shove. Weak aces are not going to play well with a low spr when he raises and you call IP. Limping allows him to min-bet almost any flop and take it down vs your very weak check back range and limp/shove over a wide raising range. What makes AQ such an easy GII is that I wouldn't expect him to show up with 99+, AK here very often because raise/4betting over a light 3b will take down a much larger pot than limp/shoving. That play is much better used by weak/suited aces and small pocket pairs.

joesmoe88
Grinding Micros
Members
June 16, 2013 - 5:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yea I think I agree for the most part. I think the insta shove threw me off and made me think for a bit.

P-aire 146
Members
June 16, 2013 - 8:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Trust me, Mike Marder is a thinking player with LOTS of great live results especially in the last 6 weeks.  His several live cashes and final tables speak for themselves. He's got 300k in live cashes the last 2 years.  He's much better then me, but I'm DEAD MONEY.  That being said, If you had AQ, I agree w/ others it's a call and not much to think about even against Marder………  I'm snapping his face off with AQ there, lol.   

And I understand that other player do limp w/ premuims, but I believe MOST if not all pros on this site would agree they don't open limp much if at all unless it's against absolute clowns.  

I agree w/ Coolers and Pack

packallama
High Stakes Shark
Members
June 16, 2013 - 10:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just noticed in the OP that he “said he folded TT”. Probably a lie to not let hero think he was 4b bluffing. I take back what I said about calling tight. Snap him off with anything decent.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
19 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11987

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1