View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
BvB multi-barrelled bluff at the Final Table of a $5 888 deepstack.
ScotFish
Edinburgh
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 64
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 16, 2016 - 5:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Final Table payouts: 

9th: $38

8th: $55 

7th: $75ish

6th: $100

5th: $135

4th: $180

3rd: $240

2nd: $345

1st: $455

***** 888poker Hand History for Game 841129866 *****
$2,500/$5,000 Blinds No Limit Holdem – *** 12 11 2016 22:53:17
Tournament #90462504 $4.50 + $0.50 – Table #45 9 Max (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: joquebec69 ( $137,754 )
Seat 2: JJokocza ( $315,090 )
Seat 3: Markus103er ( $268,823 )
Seat 4: ScotFish14 ( $260,021 )
Seat 5: champion126 ( $627,790 )
Seat 6: warriorfrog ( $167,921 )
Seat 7: NL_Basmach ( $157,587 )
Seat 9: RunekXX ( $312,352 )
Seat 10: wwwooon ( $432,662 )
RunekXX posts ante [$625]
joquebec69 posts ante [$625]
warriorfrog posts ante [$625]
JJokocza posts ante [$625]
ScotFish14 posts ante [$625]
Markus103er posts ante [$625]
champion126 posts ante [$625]
NL_Basmach posts ante [$625]
wwwooon posts ante [$625]
Markus103er posts small blind [$2,500]
ScotFish14 posts big blind [$5,000]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to ScotFish14 [ 3s, Qs ]
champion126 folds
warriorfrog folds
NL_Basmach folds
RunekXX folds
wwwooon folds
joquebec69 folds
JJokocza folds
Markus103er raises [$10,312]
ScotFish14 raises [$22,500]
Markus103er calls [$14,688]
** Dealing flop ** [ Ac, 7c, Th ]
Markus103er checks
ScotFish14 bets [$28,250]
Markus103er calls [$28,250]
** Dealing turn ** [ 5s ]
Markus103er checks
ScotFish14 bets [$40,000]
Markus103er calls [$40,000]
** Dealing river ** [ 4d ]
Markus103er checks
ScotFish14 checks
** Summary **

Markus103er shows [ Ah, 9h ]
ScotFish14 mucks [ 3s, Qs ]
Markus103er collected [ $197,125 ]

Have ended up pasting the hand history straight into the body of the post from HM2, anyone got any advice on how to get it to show up clearer or is everyone happy with it as shown above? 

We have just made it to the final table in the last 5 hands or so, so are still 9 handed. As far as reads go, Markus103er the main villain is a steadyish reg as far as the stats and sharkscope stats show, limited history. I have not got out of line at anypoint in the last 2 tables, so my image is fairly normal/unestablished. 

1) Does this line make some sense? I decided to use Q3spade in my 3-bet range from the big blind against a small blind range as it allows me to represent a much better range when barreling if it goes to a flop, and its not very playable as a call. Having watched too many blind defence videos, I’ve had a lot of sucess, especially at the micros with an aggressive strategy from the bb against sb or button raises. However, am I now taking this too far? Should I just fold, or call and react to the flop accordingly? 

2) After re-raising pre is a c-bet mandatory? I felt so, because I have all the strong A in my range, and felt that he caps himself somewhat by calling, but maybe I’m wrong? By calling he can certainly have some A in his hand, and occasional sets that are simply slow-playing to trap me. 

3) After he calls m c-bet on the flop, is it sensible to barrel turn? I figured with the ICM pressures of the FT he could potentially be pushed off either a weak A or most 7’s or 10’s, and maybe a weakly player flush draw. 

4) Should I follow through and shove river? After showing so much strength re-raising pre, and then betting flop and turn, would a river bet have a better chance of finishing the job, especially as I have 0 showdown equity. As it was I checked behind as I felt his timing, especially on the turn, indicated strength, and he seemed likely to call River after calling turn. Especially as at this level people tend to play the turn very straightforwardly. 

All comments are welcome, and I can attempt to answer any questions about my line/goals if posters think it will help them give me feedback. 

MovieFX
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Balla
Members
Forum Posts: 309
November 16, 2016 - 5:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I just call pre with a suited Q and fold to c-bet if not my flop. I’d probably wait for something a little worse or a little better to raise, but I don’t have a specific range in mind as I type this, just feels like a decent defend hand. 

As played we should have a lot of A in our range so a c-bet seems a must. Hard to follow but it looks like around half pot? I think I’d go a little bigger pre-flop, 2.6x-ish? Then I’d probably size the flop bet a little smaller if I really hit my A…maybe a little over 1/3? He won’t have a flush draw very often heads-up so I’m not trying to protect. I might fire the turn if I took this line.

Once V calls both preflop and on the flop, considering our actions, I think V has an A a lot of the time and probably isn’t folding it BvB.

I think this is a good situation for a “one-and-done” c-bet.

almofadinhas
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 586
November 16, 2016 - 8:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I would shove the river, if I had 3bet this, and specially because you cant beat most of his busted draws or hands that vilain is trying to pot control oop. (I prefer to call IP and see the flop)

Assuming a range of 22+, A2s+, K9s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 86s+, 75s+, 65s, 54s, A8o+, K9o+, QTo+, JTo, T9o, 98o for V to raise call a 3bet; and on the flop that he goes for check call line with 77+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, J9s+, T8s+, 97s+, 87s, Kc9c, Qc9c, A8o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo, T9o, 98o

OTT, 5s dont change much, and I think V will go check/call with something like 77+, A2s+, KTs, QTs, JTs, T8s+, 98s, KcQc, KcJc, QcJc, Kc9c, Qc9c, Jc9c, A8o+, KTo, QTo, JTo, T9o, 98o

OTR, 4d just improve A4s, that is 2 combos, problem here, to me, is that you cant beat his busted draws KQ, KJ, QJ, K9, Q9, J9… you beat 98 tow… I think you can make Tx, JJ, QQ and KK to fold for an all in otr, and I guess a weak Ace too. I calculated about 130k on your stack and a 190k on the pot.

Some of this ranges may check raise at some point to create FE; Also you need to think if V is capable of playing big aces or AA like this, trapping.

ScotFish said

Have ended up pasting the hand history straight into the body of the post from HM2, anyone got any advice on how to get it to show up clearer or is everyone happy with it as shown above? 

I use HM2 too, to post a hand I go on Reports, there you check for a butom that has two cards, (show or hide the hand viewer), on that new screen, you check on botom right, the second one is “select a format and copy to clipboard”, I use “poker forums”, after you select that you can just click on the first one, and that will copy on that format on future hands.

I am tired and did the ranges quite fast, if someone think is wrong please say so.

kmid
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 51
November 17, 2016 - 7:37 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

1) I would call pre but could get behind a 3bet vs a villain with a high sb open stat and a high fold to 3 bet stat. I think folding would be the worst option.

2) If you are 3 betting this wide I think it’s likely you have many better bluff candidates on the flop. You will have loads of straight draws and flush draws to continue with. This is almost as bad as a flop could be for your hand, sometime we just need to give up. If you are bluffing this wide you will be very unbalanced towards bluffs on your cbets. An A high board in this spot does not mean we can cbet our whole range, I imagine villains range actually flops more equity than yours in this spot.

3)See above

4)As played river seems like a good spot to shove, I like almofadinhas analysis of the river.

improvementss
Lighting Money On Fire
Members
Forum Posts: 25
November 17, 2016 - 11:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In this situation I would think its both fine to either c bet or check back on the flop with the intention of giving up if we get called or get bets from V. If we go for the flop and turn barrel I assume we have to bet this river every time with a 3/4th to pot sized bet since it reps strength and V can have a lot of missed draws and weaker bluff-catching holdings as Almofadinhas pointed out. 

ScotFish
Edinburgh
Grinding Micros
Members
November 18, 2016 - 7:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you everyone for your replies! 

I think my issue here, as it often is, is not assigning a specific range to villain in hand, and mostly playing against a general feeling of how strong they are. Going forward I need to try and be more specific, especially in high equity spots like this. 

I think people are right in including this in the straight defend range, as it probably has enough equity to take the lower variance route, and I can mainly include it in a bluffing range when I flop some sort of equity like a flush/straight draw. Likewise, having 3-bet, villain calling the c-bet is indicative of a lot of strength, and unlikely to be someone getting too sticky with a weak hand. 

As played, once I barrel turn, a river shove is mandatory, both for folding out missed draws that I still lose to, and for potentially folding out some weak A’s if villain reads me for a strong A, as he has capped his range by not 4-betting pre (or at least I can perceive his range as capped, as he has not shown any propensity to slow play). 

I think the next video series I need to watch is some of Andrews videos on bluffing, and maybe some of the blind vs blind videos, as I feel like there’s a lot of EV to be made in these spots at the stakes I play, but I keep making mistakes like this!

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 924
November 29, 2016 - 2:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t like the hand selection for 3-betting here, or the sizing. Q3s is a good hand to flat here, you can 3-bet with your T4o and trashy stuff, and probably make it a fair amount bigger – 28-32k – since your range is more polarized.

Also don’t love the 3-bet given that you’re quite deep and there are shorter stacks at the table – the ICM value of trying to play back at people who have you covered isn’t great by any means, even if this guy does only have you marginally covered.

When it comes to playing postflop, I think this needs to be a one-and-done hand, or perhaps even a give-up on the flop. Your opponent is going to be peeling your 3-bet with a large % of their opening range, and the AT7cc flop gives them a lot of equity with a big portion of that range.

In terms of range construction, a hand like Q3ss is one of the worst hands to c-bet here, since it has no blockers of any significance and no real equity for future streets. Since most of your hands with two cards 8 or higher have at least a gutshot here, using a weak Queen like that isn’t necessary. It’s also at least a somewhat dynamic flop even despite the Ace, so your c-bet percentage shouldn’t be higher than around 70% here in all likelihood.

On the turn, I think it’s tough to see villain folding much of their flop calling range – you have a lot of perceived double-barrel hands potentially in your range, like 98, J9, any clubs, or QJ/KQ/KJ. Having said that, it’s kind of hard for villain to put those hands in your 3-betting range since you’re not super likely to 3-bet them preflop, so the turn barrel does look somewhat strong, but since villain has lots of Ax in their range and a fair amount of Tx I don’t actually see them folding turn much, especially if most of their draws would check-raise flop.

Barrelling turn with the intention of barrelling river is a little better, since villain is likely to fold Tx on river, but I doubt villain folds Ax very much – when he has Ax he blocks Ax, so if he’s a better player he’ll know that, and if he’s not good enough to know that I doubt he’s good enough to fold Ax since people hate folding top pair. You also don’t rep a lot of AT/A7/A5/A4/77/55/44 since villain is likely to expect you to flat many of those preflop – if you’re 3-betting all that stuff then you’re likely also 3-betting more hands that could be bluffs here.

If the flush hit the river maybe it’s a better three-barrel, but there’s a lot of ICM pressure for you here too, that leads you in the direction of not bluffing so often. In addition, your turn sizing is too small – if you really want to put ICM pressure on (as well as being more balanced, since your range gets more polarized on turn) you need to bet much bigger proportionally. If you bet 28k on flop and villain called, 56k on turn would give the same odds in relation to the pot, so I’d say you’d need to go at least 60k to set up a theoretical ~140k river shove – even if we don’t make the shove, setting up for it makes sense for both our value and bluffing ranges. When you’re thinking about 3-barrelling, you should always be looking to set up a spot where the third barrel is all-in if possible.

ScotFish
Edinburgh
Grinding Micros
Members
November 29, 2016 - 5:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Ginger, one of the reasons I posted the hand here was that I was sure I had mis-played it, but it’s really good to hear the actual reasons/where it went wrong. A lot of the time before joining TPE I wasn’t being very thoughtful with my hand selection, and was just generally going for aggression without picking the spots specifically.

One thing I’ve really improved since joining has been this selectiveness, but not in all situations as you can see :-/. 

At somepoint I think it might be useful for me to do some actual range work on what hands I like to bet/3-bet in various positions with various stack sizes, as having a little more structure in this might make me more mathematical, and reduce the feel aspect of what I do where I try to do the maths on the fly/react to game-flow a little too much. 

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
December 11, 2016 - 8:36 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ScotFish said
Thanks Ginger, one of the reasons I posted the hand here was that I was sure I had mis-played it, but it’s really good to hear the actual reasons/where it went wrong. A lot of the time before joining TPE I wasn’t being very thoughtful with my hand selection, and was just generally going for aggression without picking the spots specifically.

One thing I’ve really improved since joining has been this selectiveness, but not in all situations as you can see :-/. 

At somepoint I think it might be useful for me to do some actual range work on what hands I like to bet/3-bet in various positions with various stack sizes, as having a little more structure in this might make me more mathematical, and reduce the feel aspect of what I do where I try to do the maths on the fly/react to game-flow a little too much.   

WRT the last part, good idea. A good place to start is that the wider your flatting range in a given spot, the more polarized your 3-betting range should be, as you don’t want to waste good flatting hands by 3-betting them. In spots where your flatting range is very narrow and predictable (such as UTG+1 vs UTG) you might want to eliminate flatting altogether and 3-bet a completely linear range from AA downwards.

Your 3-bet bluffing range should also start at the point where your flatting range ends in a given spot – for example, in a BTN spot where you would be flatting J9s as the bottom of your range, J8s is one of your best 3-bet bluffs, because you’re not wasting a good flatting hand but you still have lots of postflop playability. In this BB spot, let’s say you decided the bottom of your peeling range was something like J5s or T6s (fairly arbitrary, not sure if that’s true), you could then use hands like J4s and T5s as part of your 3-bet bluffing range, to simultaneously maximise the EV of your flatting range while also giving yourself the greatest possible playability (and therefore highest EV) in your 3-betting range when you do get flat-called preflop.

ScotFish
Edinburgh
Grinding Micros
Members
December 13, 2016 - 2:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you Ginger! It’s really kind of you to take the time to explain how to start constructing a range – sometimes stuff like this is what intimidates me when I don’t really know how to start, or what concepts to include. 

This should really give me a good spot to start. 🙂

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
December 14, 2016 - 6:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ScotFish said
Thank you Ginger! It’s really kind of you to take the time to explain how to start constructing a range – sometimes stuff like this is what intimidates me when I don’t really know how to start, or what concepts to include. 

This should really give me a good spot to start. 🙂  

No problem, man (or woman). If you want a good video series to look at with regard to range construction, check out Andrew’s series on the topic. I can’t recall whether it deals with 3-betting ranges but it’s a great look at postflop range building.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11987

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1