View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (2 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
ICM question for the Final table of the Big $7:50
ScotFish
Edinburgh
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 64
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 20, 2017 - 3:39 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So we made it to the FT! For context this is probably the biggest online FT I had made, and we had an extended FT bubble where I was abused by the 3 big stacks at my table forcing me to really nit it up while 4 short stacks at the other table repeatedly failed to bust. I feel mentally this may have played in to my shove, as I am always worried about over-adjusting and tightening up too much frown.

Payouts are as follows:

1st: $3181

2nd: $2230

3rd: $1565

4th: $1098

5th: $770

6th: $541

7th: $379

8th: $266

PokerStars Hand #174548573305: Tournament #1994284974, $6.82+$0.68 USD Hold’em No Limit – Level XLIV (40000/80000) – 2017/08/20 0:23:28 WET [2017/08/19 19:23:28 ET]
Table ‘1994284974 162’ 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: patrickmr19 (1906338 in chips)
Seat 2: jradjo21 (843366 in chips)
Seat 4: lambika90 (2819306 in chips)
Seat 5: ScotLib (951198 in chips)
Seat 6: EdilsonRTJ (7992762 in chips)
Seat 7: gabrielBR99 (948974 in chips)
Seat 8: Bolleno (743222 in chips)
Seat 9: Guztafzon (879834 in chips)
patrickmr19: posts the ante 10000
jradjo21: posts the ante 10000
lambika90: posts the ante 10000
ScotLib: posts the ante 10000
EdilsonRTJ: posts the ante 10000
gabrielBR99: posts the ante 10000
Bolleno: posts the ante 10000
Guztafzon: posts the ante 10000
gabrielBR99: posts small blind 40000
Bolleno: posts big blind 80000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ScotLib [3c Ac]
Guztafzon: folds
patrickmr19: folds
jradjo21: folds
lambika90: folds
ScotLib: raises 861198 to 941198 and is all-in
EdilsonRTJ: calls 941198
gabrielBR99: folds
Bolleno: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ts 3s Jh]
*** TURN *** [Ts 3s Jh] [7h]
*** RIVER *** [Ts 3s Jh 7h] [9d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***

ScotLib: shows [3c Ac] (a pair of Threes)
EdilsonRTJ: shows [As 7d] (a pair of Sevens)
EdilsonRTJ collected 2082396 from pot
ScotLib finished the tournament in 8th place and received $266.43.
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2082396 | Rake 0
Board [Ts 3s Jh 7h 9d]
Seat 1: patrickmr19 folded before Flop (didn’t bet)
Seat 2: jradjo21 folded before Flop (didn’t bet)
Seat 4: lambika90 folded before Flop (didn’t bet)
Seat 5: ScotLib showed [3c Ac] and lost with a pair of Threes
Seat 6: EdilsonRTJ (button) showed [As 7d] and won (2082396) with a pair of Sevens
Seat 7: gabrielBR99 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: Bolleno (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: Guztafzon folded before Flop (didn’t bet)

I know from a purely nash perspective this is definitely a shove, however, as it’s so low down in my range, and I have the mega stack to my left (who incidentally won his chips against the chip leader with quads vs a boat and was v vocal about this happiness in the chatbox) should I be folding this with 3 micro stacks still at the table?

I think I know the answer, but wanted to run it past the fine minds at TPE to make sure I’m not being affected by the results of the hand. 

DuckinDaDeck
Hunting Max EV
Sunday Major
Members
Forum Posts: 284
August 21, 2017 - 7:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

At first glance, I thought this shove was very reasonable but not mandatory. ICMizer has some interesting stuff to say about this scenario.

The Nash equilibrium has Hero shoving 26% of hands, which seems crazy to me. 22,A2s,A8+,A5,K6s,KT,Q8s,QT,J8s,JTo,T8s,98s are all recommended shoves. If we only consider chipEV Nash equilibrium has us shoving 33%.

I’ve been experimenting with Future Game Simulation, which gives us slightly different answers. I can’t pretend to know FGS well, but it adjusts our strategy in an attempt to account for what is likely to happen in future hands after all possible outcomes of this hand. In situations with lots of short-stacks it will often result in a tighter strategy if other shortstacks will be forced to pay the blinds before we will.

FGS for 1-3 hands advocates dropping K6s from our range, and by 6 hands it drops K7s,J9s,98s and A5o. 22 went from +0.03% EV to +0.01%, and A3s went from +0.07% to +0.04%. Not huge changes but worth considering.

Despite the Nash solution resulting in a very wide shoving range, it depends on assuming a style from the other players that I rarely see. Is BTN pushing 86% if you fold, and is SB pushing 85% if it folds to him? Probably not, and most of the other ranges are similarly unrealistic in a real world situation, especially at the micros.

In adjusting the ranges to what I suspect is closer to reality, our shoving recommendations become much tighter. This is mainly due to assuming that BTN calls hero wider than Nash (A7o is significantly wider), as well as widening the call and overcall ranges for the blinds slightly.

Assuming BTN calls hero with 23% of hands, SB calls with 7.8% and BB calls with 10%, ICMizer only wants to shove 11% of hands.  It now suggests 55,A7s,A9,KQs as profitable shoves. If these ranges are correct A3s becomes a -0.08% EV shove, which is somewhat disastrous. If I’m not mistaken, that means that shoving A3s costs you $63.20 in EV compared to folding.

When running FGS for 6 hands A7s and 55 are no longer profitable shoves, and A3s now becomes a -0.11% EV shove. 

It is important to realize that these results are somewhat artificial, as it is very hard (if not impossible) to accurately assign calling ranges to 3 unknown players (let alone figuring out how they play when hero folds). However, I think the results for the modified ranges are much closer to reality than the equilibrium ranges. You can probably go a little bit wider than the 11% range profitably, however, you could reasonably adopt an even tighter strategy if the pay-jumps are significant to you. If you expect some of the other shortstacks are likely to get all-in wider than they should, it may be reasonable to shove as tight as 7.5%, meaning 77,ATs,AJ.

TLDR: The main determining factor on whether you can shove A3s profitably is how wide the BTN calls you. If BTN calls <14.5% of hands, A3s is ICM profitable unless one of the blinds is calling ridiculously wide. However, as soon as BTN’s calling range extends past 16% it is a losing shove even if the blinds are only calling you with JJ+,AK (3% of hands).

In my experience, most players at the micros with the kind of chip stack that BTN is sitting on are going to be getting in there for 12bb a lot wider than they likely should. For that reason, A3s is probably best hitting the muck. I think a shoving range of 66,A8s,A9,KQs is roughly where you want to be here.

ScotFish
Edinburgh
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 64
August 21, 2017 - 3:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you DuckInDaDeck that is some spectacular number crunching and I agree with your conclusions – I can’t thank you enough for going this in depth!

It’s also useful that it confirms a lot of what I felt instinctively – although as I seem to always find with ICM I should always go even tighter than I think a reasonable adjustment would be. 

DuckinDaDeck
Hunting Max EV
Sunday Major
Members
August 22, 2017 - 4:09 am

Very happy to help! I busted my first 5 or 6 big final tables in 7th or worse. I’ve felt the pain of making a ‘standard’ shove, and then realizing too late that I probably shouldn’t have, far too many times to count. This Sunday I shoved 22bb from the BB with 77 against a CO open 9-handed on my biggest FT in over a month. There were three shorter stacks at the table… it didn’t go well, lol. Best of luck in your future deep runs smile

The Riceman
London UK
Hitting The Circuit
Members
Forum Posts: 731
August 24, 2017 - 4:23 am

Disagree.

I’m always getting this in here. ICM is a consideration, sure, but you are trying to win the thing right? Not just ladder up a few places.

My messing around with FGS really only made very minor adjustments to my ranges. I thought it just considered the movement of the blinds around the table. 

“[FGS] adjusts our strategy in an attempt to account for what is likely to happen in future hands after all possible outcomes of this hand.”

Not quite sure what you mean by this, but I don’t know how the sim can possibly know what is likely to happen. I think you are closer to the mark talking about the blinds.

Although, neither am I any expert on FGS.

I guess if the big stack was calling way loose…I’d hesitate. 

It sucks to lose, but dem’s da shakes.

Edit: Deck said:

This Sunday I shoved 22bb from the BB with 77 against a CO open 9-handed on my biggest FT in over a month. There were three shorter stacks at the table… it didn’t go well”

and:

I’ve felt the pain of making a ‘standard’ shove, and then realizing too late that I probably shouldn’t have, far too many times to count.”

Just because you lose a pot, even in a critical spot, doesn’t necessarily mean you were wrong in the play. That 77 shove, depending on villain stats, sounds more than reasonable to me vs. most everyone. You don’t want to waste the equity of your strong hand by folding, and calling is pretty lame, just hoping to see a board of 664r or whatever.

The Riceman
London UK
Hitting The Circuit
Members
August 26, 2017 - 6:59 pm

Really? What the hell is going on with this forum? We have a higher membership than I can ever recall seeing yet the strat. forum has slowed to a crawl. A year ago, I couldn’t keep up there were so many hands posted. Now, there’s like one every three days.

Therefore, tomorrow, I shall present a new Riceman hand for analysis.

I bet you can’t wait.

And btw, I’d be very interested in a pro’s view on this hand. 

The Riceman
London UK
Hitting The Circuit
Members
August 30, 2017 - 2:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I promise a hand tomoz. Been busy.

DuckinDaDeck
Hunting Max EV
Sunday Major
Members
September 2, 2017 - 2:21 pm

The Riceman said
My messing around with FGS really only made very minor adjustments to my ranges. I thought it just considered the movement of the blinds around the table. 

I think I worded my explanation poorly. If I’m not mistaken the standard ICMizer ouput takes all possible outcomes of the current hand into consideration, but only as it relates to the situation that exists at the immediate end of this hand. By all possible outcomes I don’t mean small raises and/or postflop play, but all possible combos of shoves/calls and X or Y player winning once the chips go in. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Assuming that’s the case, then accounting for future hands is, as you say, basically a matter of predicting the movement of the blinds and their effect on ICM in future hands.

Either way, I have also found that FGS has only small effects on recommended ranges but, over enough final tables, small changes can have a huge effect on your bottom line.

The Riceman said
I’m always getting this in here. ICM is a consideration, sure, but you are trying to win the thing right? Not just ladder up a few places.

It depends on your priorities as a player, and I definitely respect the approach of maximizing chance to win outright. As a pro player I’ve learned the hard way that I can’t afford that luxury, and I tend to base my decisions around maximizing my $EV return. That being said, ICM is not a perfect solution to final table strategy. It has no way of accounting for skill edges, and I’m pretty sure we can all agree that playing a 25bb stack affords us a lot more profitable options than playing a 12bb stack, which ICM does not consider.

My own approach to shoving on final tables is to usually go a little wider than my best estimation of what ICM would suggest.

It’s also worth considering that the ranges I assigned the remaining players are completely arbitrary, and tighter ranges would make A3s profitable. The range of the blinds is somewhat irrelevant. ICM vs them is much closer to chipEV, as winning against them guarantees a payjump. Doubling through the deepstack BUT increases our $EV significantly less, so their calling range is critical to our calculations. With a hand like A3s each additional hand that BUT calls with lowers your $EV because you are never a huge favorite against any reasonable holding. If K3 and worse 3s start entering villain’s range that changes, but otherwise you are a ~55:45 favorite or a ~65:35 dog against most hands.

Even when considering the value of doubling up in terms of future play, I think we are burning $ by getting in as a 55:45 favorite against the bigstack when there are 4 stacks at roughly our size, so our hand’s value is basically a steal with a strong blocker that retains decent equity when called.

The Riceman said
Just because you lose a pot, even in a critical spot, doesn’t necessarily mean you were wrong in the play. That 77 shove, depending on villain stats, sounds more than reasonable to me vs. most everyone. You don’t want to waste the equity of your strong hand by folding, and calling is pretty lame, just hoping to see a board of 664r or whatever.  

I completely agree that being results orientated is a losing way to think. The 77 is a close example, and one that illustrates ICM’s effect pretty well. ChipEV wise its winning almost 2bb to shove against the CO range I’m assuming, and it would be criminal to fold here in almost any situation.

I actually had 24.5 bb in this hand, which obviously changes things a bit. I can post the hand history if you like so that you can run your own analysis, but for brevity’s sake I’ll just tell you my ICMizer results.

In this spot, considering table stack sizes and that CO has me well covered, ICMizer wants to shove AJs,AQ,99 and nothing else. AJ is losing 0.01% and has great blockers, so I’d likely be shoving it, but even 88 and ATs are rated at -0.05% and probably borderline at best to shove. 77 comes in at a whopping -0.12% ICM EV, and I can’t think any strategy considerations would make that a long term profitable shove.

This is assuming the CO raises 26% of hands and calls off with only 11%, which means we are winning heaps from fold equity alone. Open range will often be tighter (he was relatively tight and BUT had almost twice his chips), and enough players are calling off with ~half (if not more) of their raising range to make these range assumptions optimistic. 77 may actually be in even worse shape against CO’s actual ranges.

EDIT: As to what’s going on with forum, I’m new here so can’t really say, but it may be more dead than usual due to players prepping for WCOOP. I certainly would have been more active if my favorite time of the year wasn’t right around the corner.

The Riceman
London UK
Hitting The Circuit
Members
September 2, 2017 - 2:45 pm

wow! I’ll have to think about this some…great food for thought.

I’ll get back with a fresh head tomorrow. 

WRTT forums, not sure. I think Andrew and Matt seem to act as a dynamo to create… can’t think of a good word… dynamism (lol) in the forums. Not sure where they are but I also expect WCOOP has something to do.

Edit: “By all possible outcomes I don’t mean small raises and/or postflop play, but all possible combos of shoves/calls and X or Y player winning once the chips go in. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Assuming that’s the case, then accounting for future hands is, as you say, basically a matter of predicting the movement of the blinds and their effect on ICM in future hands.”

Yeah I doubt the software bothers actually calculating all that and considers this a ‘draw’; therefore considers just the blind movement.

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 924
September 7, 2017 - 5:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think this is probably a fold. DDD’s analysis does a good job of explaining why. If you run some FGS calculations on HRC you’ll see that as DDD explains, we’re incentivized to actually be a bit tighter in late position when ICM is in play, since we have several more hands to wait until we go through the blinds – with a couple of the short stacks about to hit the BB in the next few hands I think we can afford to be tighter in this spot.

The Riceman
London UK
Hitting The Circuit
Members
September 23, 2017 - 5:58 pm

You know…I am still to get to start using the raise/3bet feature of HResources.

I can see easily how the calculator can determine open shove and flat call ranges for cev and icm, but I get wary around raise/3bet shove ranges like the 7 7. Too much estimation involved of ranges, no?

Edit: thinking about this, maybe I have been overthinking that for a long time. Range estimation comes in all calcs. Perhaps the raise/3bet feature is more solid than I thought. I do know, however, that the “flat call” feature of the calculator in the Advanced Hand analysis is meant to be used when setting up  action behind the call for us to examine; ie: what hands can be profitably shoved over a raise and a call.

The flat call in HRC is always assumed to be checked down, which is highly optimistic for the caller.

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 924
October 13, 2017 - 12:57 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Riceman said
You know…I am still to get to start using the raise/3bet feature of HResources.

I can see easily how the calculator can determine open shove and flat call ranges for cev and icm, but I get wary around raise/3bet shove ranges like the 7 7. Too much estimation involved of ranges, no?

Edit: thinking about this, maybe I have been overthinking that for a long time. Range estimation comes in all calcs. Perhaps the raise/3bet feature is more solid than I thought. I do know, however, that the “flat call” feature of the calculator in the Advanced Hand analysis is meant to be used when setting up  action behind the call for us to examine; ie: what hands can be profitably shoved over a raise and a call.

The flat call in HRC is always assumed to be checked down, which is highly optimistic for the caller.  

Actually, there’s no ‘estimation’ used at all with HRC. The biggest obstacle is the one that you’ve pointed out, which is that HRC assumes all preflop calls result in full equity realization for both players, i.e. no postflop play.

I’d say it’s less of a case of it being highly optimistic for the caller to realize their full equity, and more a case of position – from the majority of the GTO sims I’ve run, it’s usually the case that the in-position player will realize around 100-120% of their equity, while the OOP player will realize somewhere from 80-100%. Obviously these are averages, meaning some hands will do better and some worse.

The calculator establishes raise/3-bet or raise/flat ranges the same way it would do anything else – it runs X amount of iterations of a Nash equilibrium calculation. The equity realization flaw is the only issue we have to bear in mind – essentially we should just be  recognizing that whenever it tells us to flat-call a certain hand, we have to consider whether we can realistically realize all the equity of said hand.

What I tend to do is lock in reasonable flat-calling ranges and run spots as minimally exploitative calculations instead of maximally – it’s usually reasonably easy to predict people’s preflop flatting ranges since they’re quite narrow, and we can comfortably make good judgments ourselves about which hands we can realize our equity with when playing postflop against a specific player. Once we’ve done that, we can allow the Nash calculation to construct a strategy for us that builds around a specific flatting range.

The Riceman
London UK
Hitting The Circuit
Members
October 13, 2017 - 3:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

OMG. I give up. I thought at Nash equilibrium we were both minimally AND maximally exploiting a given villain Nash range…ie the two words were synonymous in a Nash equilibrium context.

(Of course, if villain deviates from Nash, I understand how we can employ a non-Nash exploitative response).

I truly both love and detest GTO simultaneously.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11986

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1