View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Irish Open Main Event Hand €2250
peterswellman
Guppy
Members
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 3, 2013 - 12:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So this hand is from Day 2. It's very early on in the Day and i've just been moved table. To my left is Darren Rabinowitz and guy to his left seems some English guy in his 30's. Rabinowitz is an Americian pro who grinds live now. Not really following the table much and seems really busy on his Ipad. I had a bit of discussion with him and I would think he assumes i'm semi competent. I'm youngish, in a hoodie and wearing Beats.  

Both guys have me comfortably covered in the hand with Rabinowitz has 40k and English guy has 60k+. I start the hand with 19k which is 19bb @ 500/1000 and this is the first orbit at new table. I had known who Rabinowitz was by goggling him after checking out the seat draw.

So it's folded round to me. I have A 2

What do we think our best line is here? I'm turn in between 3 things here. I could open folded and just wait to rip over a raise with a nice bit of fold equity. I could open for 2x and fold to any heat. Or I could just rip them in. This is a slow structure here and there is still a good bit of value in the field. e.g. My table for most of day 1, 5x was the standard open.

jjpregler
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 70
April 3, 2013 - 4:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have two questions here:

1) what position are you in?

2) I cannot read the images attached as your suits.  Is your handed suited or unsuited?

peterswellman
Guppy
Members
April 3, 2013 - 5:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

jjpregler said:

I have two questions here:

1) what position are you in?

2) I cannot read the images attached as your suits.  Is your handed suited or unsuited?

Sorry sir. We are OTB and our hand is unsuited.

jjpregler
Grinding Micros
Members
April 3, 2013 - 5:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So the pro is in the SB?  Assuming 100 ante, your M is just under 8 and this hand is strong enough to open push from the button.  Against weaker players, I may be tempted to open raise to about 2200, but with a pro in the SB, I think I just ship it and don't take any chances.

duggs
nz
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 591
April 3, 2013 - 10:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

whats the dynamic like with the pro, how agg are they?

if they were agg i like limp/shove as a standard raise/fold is fine. not folding, not shoving especially in a live tourney

FkCoolers
Cambridge, Ma (Central Square)
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 1610
April 4, 2013 - 8:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

duggs said:

if they were agg i like limp/shove as a standard raise/fold is fine. not folding, not shoving especially in a live tourney

I like this reply

peterswellman
Guppy
Members
April 4, 2013 - 9:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

FkCoolers said:

duggs said:

I like this reply

No dynamic atm, it is still first orbit at this table.

jjpregler
Grinding Micros
Members
April 4, 2013 - 11:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don't know why you are reluctant to push.  Granted pushing is not always the most optimal play, but: 1) we are under an M of 8; 2) A2 is in the equilibrium shove range for M of 8 OTB; and 3) we have a pro in the blinds left to act.  

To me this does come down to a choice in the best way to play this, considering all of the above, I think shoving and making the pro have a hand and not try to outplay you is the better choice.  

duggs
nz
Playing The Prelims
Members
April 4, 2013 - 11:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

yea but you dont shove an equib range, you would be raising a whole bunch of value hands and alot of hands with postflop playability. shoving severly caps your range and the relative upside of stealing blinds is negated by being called correctly but 1 if not 2 opponents and being a huge dog

florianm1
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 588
April 6, 2013 - 3:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hey

so if yo ushove i guess they call

AA-88,AKo-AQo,AKs-AJs,KQs

if you raise they should reshove wider

prob AA-22,AKo-A8o,KQo-KJo,AKs-A2s,KQs-KTs

if they reshove this wide r/f is less +EV then open shoving.

with the read that the pro is busy with his ipad he is most likely playing his cards and might reshove tighter.

so i think r/f is the way to go with the blocker

cheers

duggs
nz
Playing The Prelims
Members
April 6, 2013 - 6:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

you get called way wider when we shove, BB calls with A10o A9o A9s and 77 which matters because they are combos that crush us

badabing78
Hitting The Circuit
Forum Posts: 639
April 6, 2013 - 10:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

online its a shove to me but live in a good structured tourney i guess i would pass this spot most of the time and fold

and lookout for a 3b shovespot against a loser opener in the next 2 orbits.

imo 15-20bb stacks are live more worth / powerful than online

i absolutely dont like raise/fold with that stack,especially against competent players with bigger stacks in the blinds

florianm1
Playing The Prelims
Members
April 7, 2013 - 6:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

adjusted for looser calling range:

AA-77,AKo-A9o,AKs-A9s,KQs-KJs

and same reshoving range.

so its then:

r/f +760t$

f/c -330t$

shove 231$

cheers

florianm1
Playing The Prelims
Members
April 7, 2013 - 6:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

badabing78 said:

i absolutely dont like raise/fold with that stack,especially against competent players with bigger stacks in the blinds

i like r/f here a lot because of the stack, the blocker and the fact that we have competent players in the blinds who are most likely the type of players which are not r/f 15-20BB stacks.

so your perceived range is pretty strong

FkCoolers
Cambridge, Ma (Central Square)
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 1610
April 7, 2013 - 7:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Doesn't seem like a shove at all in a live, good structured MTT. In fact, I've heard a lot of very good live players say this is a common leak by online players – i.e. using the same exact shove range for both online and live.

duggs
nz
Playing The Prelims
Members
April 7, 2013 - 7:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

yea you have fold equity way shorter live due to so many people calling incorrectly and busto hurting more, so getting called by better is a disaster for 19bb. i still would r/f this online tho, id only be shoving if one or both of the stacks where shallower reducing the effective stack.

Clarke206
Grinding Micros
Forum Posts: 51
April 12, 2013 - 1:44 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

19 bb way too much for a shove with A2o and too little to be raise/folding which is what you'd have to do IMO.  Too much of these guy's calling (and 3betting for that matter) range includes better aces.  Therefore, open folding is tough but necessary here to preserve the reshoving stack for a better spot.  This is assuming you think the blinds are competent.  Full disclosure, I know Darren a bit and think he's probably 3betting a bunch so I'd just fold.  If you think they're folding a ton of the time, then I'd raise/fold.  I'm far more likely to raise/fold with hands that hit flops better than ace/rag in this spot like 22-77 and a lot of suited connectors and even suited 1-2 gappers. 

g1mmeALL
Guppy
Forum Posts: 5
April 13, 2013 - 3:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

In this spot I think i would just open-fold due to the following:

Your stack is too shallow to open and fold to a 3bet, which will probably happen since the first hand you play that table/orbit is from the button.

If you say that the structure is good, you have time left to find a better spot to get it in.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11988

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1