View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
JJ 50bb deep in the final 50 of the Big $7:50
ScotFish
Edinburgh
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 64
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 20, 2017 - 3:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This hand came from a deep run I had in the Big $7:50 on pokerstars last night, and we were down to the final 50 or so players. 

As far as dynamics are concerned the BB who is the main villain of the hand seems competent and aggressive, and has taken several pots away from the smaller stacks at the table in the 30 or so hands we’ve played while not going to showdown. 

The initial raiser has been playing very tight. 

PokerStars Hand #174542867216: Tournament #1994284974, $6.82+$0.68 USD Hold’em No Limit – Level XXXII (6000/12000) – 2017/08/19 21:53:36 WET [2017/08/19 16:53:36 ET]
Table ‘1994284974 72’ 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: DeM!st3r (89562 in chips)
Seat 2: MachadoVitto (756165 in chips)
Seat 4: kzka (721561 in chips)
Seat 5: vadka (272311 in chips)
Seat 6: MagnatG (651592 in chips)
Seat 7: ScotLib (581709 in chips)
Seat 8: jradjo21 (372169 in chips)
Seat 9: quoki (451589 in chips)
DeM!st3r: posts the ante 1500
MachadoVitto: posts the ante 1500
kzka: posts the ante 1500
vadka: posts the ante 1500
MagnatG: posts the ante 1500
ScotLib: posts the ante 1500
jradjo21: posts the ante 1500
quoki: posts the ante 1500
DeM!st3r: posts small blind 6000
MachadoVitto: posts big blind 12000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ScotLib [Jd Jh]
kzka: raises 12000 to 24000
vadka: folds
MagnatG: folds
ScotLib: calls 24000
jradjo21: folds
quoki: folds
DeM!st3r: folds
MachadoVitto: calls 12000
*** FLOP *** [Ts 6c 4h]
MachadoVitto: checks
kzka: checks
ScotLib: bets 43750
MachadoVitto: calls 43750
kzka: folds
*** TURN *** [Ts 6c 4h] [7s]
MachadoVitto: checks
ScotLib: bets 92500
MachadoVitto: raises 134365 to 226865
kzka is sitting out
ScotLib: raises 285594 to 512459 and is all-in

MachadoVitto: folds
Uncalled bet (285594) returned to ScotLib
ScotLib collected 631230 from pot
ScotLib: doesn’t show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 631230 | Rake 0
Board [Ts 6c 4h 7s]
Seat 1: DeM!st3r (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: MachadoVitto (big blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 4: kzka folded on the Flop
Seat 5: vadka folded before Flop (didn’t bet)
Seat 6: MagnatG folded before Flop (didn’t bet)
Seat 7: ScotLib collected (631230)
Seat 8: jradjo21 folded before Flop (didn’t bet)
Seat 9: quoki (button) folded before Flop (didn’t bet)

This hand felt like a demonstration of the old adage of JJ being tough to play. 

Pre-flop I decided to flat in posiiton mainly due to the stack sizes involved – at the time I had a top 5 chipstack and felt like I was chipping up effectively without trying to take many high variance spots. In this case the initial raiser had also been playing a very tight range from UTG, so I felt I would be able to play very well against a tight range post-flop. 

After the BB comes along the flop is pretty ideal, missing UTG’s range except for overpairs, and maybe giving the BB enough of the board to call a couple streets as well so I c-bet slightly less than half pot to hopefully fold out some combos of overcards, and get called by hands like A10, K10, Q10, J10, 109 and possibly some strong 6’s that would be in the BB range such as A6. 

After the BB calls and UTG folds I feel very good about my hand – the BB doesn’t have any stronger overpairs and outside of sets and maybe a very wide 2 pair I’m well ahead of his calling range. 

The turn is when things get a little funky. The 7s isn’t the best card, if he’s calling with a gutshot which I think he may some of the time with the depth of stacks then he’s got there, and there’s a small chance that he’s called 77 on the flop, but outside of this I see no reason not to bet again to get value from all of the 10’s in his range, with my plan being to likely check back river unless it’s a complete brick or a J. With this in mind I bet 92,500 into a pot of 177,500. 

The BB throws a spanner in the works by throwing in a tiny check-raise to 226,865 – about 1 1/2 times my bet. I tanked a long time and eventually decided to move all-in. As far as my ranging I felt like he does this for value with sets, 89 and possibly 2 pair, although it is tough for him to have these hands even in the BB. However, I feel with us getting deep in the tourney this is also a spot where he’s liable to make a move – if he’s turned a flush draw he may decide to take this opportunity to turn it into a bluff, and there’s a chance he’s raising a 10 to try and extract value if I’m betting down with AK or AQ. I decided that having disguised the strength of my hand pre with the flat that my hand was strong enough to stick in the middle. 

So – thoughts? Is my logic sound, or am I getting over-attached to an overpair? Any comments on my ranging? What do you do in this position? I feel like call, fold or shove are all valid options. 

DuckinDaDeck
Hunting Max EV
Sunday Major
Members
Forum Posts: 284
August 21, 2017 - 9:11 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like pre-flop and flop play. I think JJ is okay to 3bet here but I tend to like flatting in similar spots. I like your sizing on the flop, I’d probably go a little smaller on such a dry flop, but ~45% seems perfectly fine.

The turn is a bit sketchy. Your initial bet sizing seems good, but here I personally prefer sizing a bit larger. There is about 180k in the pot, and you’ve got just over 500k in your stack. Once you bet 92.5k, if villain calls, there will be 365k in the pot, and ~410k behind. If you were to make it 110k, the pot on the river would be ~400k and you would have just over 390k behind. Not that you’d necessarily want to shove JJ on the river here, but in general I think it is a good idea to structure our turn betting so that the river SPR is <=1 if it’s going to be close to 1 anyway. Also, most villains won’t adjust at all to the difference between a ~1/2 pot or ~3/5 pot turn bet, so if you feel you are ahead of villain’s calling range, you benefit from squeezing a little more value out of them.

Once BB check-raises I don’t understand your reasoning for the 3bet. Rather, I can make an educated guess as to what you were thinking (I used to make many similar plays for one of two reasons), but I don’t think that this 3bet is accomplishing what you want it to.

I agree that your hand may be a bit under-represented, and I agree that this is the stage of the tourney where villain may be choosing to apply pressure wider than he might otherwise. However, even if you think you are ahead of his check-raising range, do you think you are ahead of his check-raise-call range? By raising here you basically give him the opportunity to play perfectly, in that he is never calling you with worse (ok, maybe the occasional 10 or combo draw), and he is never folding a hand that is beating you (at least he really shouldn’t be).

I think you are much better off calling his check-raise and playing the river in position. You get to see his next action before making a decision, and although it may often be a difficult decision, it is likely to be much more profitable than getting it in on the turn. 

ScotFish
Edinburgh
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 64
August 21, 2017 - 3:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

DuckinDaDeck said
I like pre-flop and flop play. I think JJ is okay to 3bet here but I tend to like flatting in similar spots. I like your sizing on the flop, I’d probably go a little smaller on such a dry flop, but ~45% seems perfectly fine.

The turn is a bit sketchy. Your initial bet sizing seems good, but here I personally prefer sizing a bit larger. There is about 180k in the pot, and you’ve got just over 500k in your stack. Once you bet 92.5k, if villain calls, there will be 365k in the pot, and ~410k behind. If you were to make it 110k, the pot on the river would be ~400k and you would have just over 390k behind. Not that you’d necessarily want to shove JJ on the river here, but in general I think it is a good idea to structure our turn betting so that the river SPR is <=1 if it’s going to be close to 1 anyway. Also, most villains won’t adjust at all to the difference between a ~1/2 pot or ~3/5 pot turn bet, so if you feel you are ahead of villain’s calling range, you benefit from squeezing a little more value out of them.

Once BB check-raises I don’t understand your reasoning for the 3bet. Rather, I can make an educated guess as to what you were thinking (I used to make many similar plays for one of two reasons), but I don’t think that this 3bet is accomplishing what you want it to.

I agree that your hand may be a bit under-represented, and I agree that this is the stage of the tourney where villain may be choosing to apply pressure wider than he might otherwise. However, even if you think you are ahead of his check-raising range, do you think you are ahead of his check-raise-call range? By raising here you basically give him the opportunity to play perfectly, in that he is never calling you with worse (ok, maybe the occasional 10 or combo draw), and he is never folding a hand that is beating you (at least he really shouldn’t be).

I think you are much better off calling his check-raise and playing the river in position. You get to see his next action before making a decision, and although it may often be a difficult decision, it is likely to be much more profitable than getting it in on the turn.   

Just bolded the end of the above because you totally caught me embarassed– I basically came to the conclusion that I didn’t have to fold and decided because of that to shove and end the decision making there, rather than call and face a difficult decision on an awkward river where my ranging on him would be really put to the test. (Again, this isn’t conscious, but examining my thought process after the fact I can recognise this process creeping in). 

It can be particularly tricky in tournaments I think, because you get more attached to your tournament life the later you go, which can make you fear making the ‘wrong’ decision in a difficult spot even more! 

Thanks again for your comment though, it’s of excellent quality as before. 

theginger45

TPE Pro
Members
Forum Posts: 924
September 7, 2017 - 5:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree with DDD on virtually everything here. I think getting it in on turn is a huge punt, since you fold out any bluffs villain does have, and get snapped by anything that beats you.

If the check-raise were bigger I might even fold to it, since I think villain has a bunch of 77/76/T7 combos, maybe even some 85s or 98s. It’s really difficult for villain to have check-called a hand on the flop with a player left to act behind and still bluff with it on this turn. Maybe a hand like 65s or 54s are good hands for villain to do it with, but many villains won’t, especially in the Big $7.50.

Call turn, fold most rivers is probably the way to go. We’re getting great odds to call the check-raise and we look very strong in doing so, so villain will shut down often enough on river to make it a good line.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
32 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11986

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1