View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
KQ tpmk early in FT 750K GTD
mmfitter
Guests
September 1, 2010 - 4:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Early and deepstacked in FT $750K GTD. Villain is a winning reg but most of his winnings came from one large cash – prob a good player.

KQ on the butt, deep enough to flat I think. But I think I have to iso the blind here always, right? Or is it OK to just flat 3 handed here and see what they do on the turn since I have pos?

One note – since I started playing online a couple of years ago, I played exclusively on Full Tilt. I would deposit $300-$500 at a time and play mtts that I wasn't adequately rolled for and for most of the first couple years, I did nothing to learn about online poker. I was basically a recreational gambler and my stats reflect that – shows me losing 7 or 8 k with a -45% roi – terrible and embarrassing. 

But the last 7 or 8 months I ve been playing mostly on Stars and I started to learn more about online play and also started working on my game. My stats on Stars is much more respectable – not a big winner yet, bot not a loser like before. I'm pretty confident the results will improve if I keep putting the work in.

Anyway, it seems when I sat into one of the Sunday majors on FT, I seem to often get played back at like this, early on.  I suspect the winning regs check to see who prob sat'd in and see my numbers. Just a guess.

Full Tilt Poker $750,000 Guarantee No Limit Hold'em Tournament – t20/t40 Blinds – 8 players
Hand Conversion courtesy of Tournament Poker Edge

BryanAce (BB): t2940 73.50 BBs
PlayinWitDreams (UTG): t3915 97.88 BBs
inhidonks (UTG+1): t3100 77.50 BBs
StoliMan (MP1): t3300 82.50 BBs
RioMata (MP2): t2390 59.75 BBs
AreTheseUtz (CO): t2795 69.88 BBs
mm209 (BTN): t3300 82.50 BBs
UaDeEzY (SB): t5260 131.50 BBs

Pre Flop: (t60) mm209 is BTN with K of spades Q of clubs
2 folds, StoliMan raises to t120, 2 folds, mm209 calls t120, 1 fold, BryanAce calls t80

Flop: (t380) T of hearts 6 of clubs K of diamonds (3 players)
BryanAce checks, StoliMan bets t280, mm209 raises to t600, BryanAce folds, StoliMan raises to t3180 all in

BBird40
Guests
September 1, 2010 - 5:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think the flat is fine. I do not like 3betting wide early on with no antes.

Although, since you flatted, I would just call the flop bet b/c it is early and small ball is my approach. Also, If you raise you are allowing both the players opportunity to play back at you if they so choose. Just ask yourself before you raise, if this player was to play back at me what would I do? If you would not like facing a re-raise dont raise.

Since you did raise, what was your plan on the turn? If a non-J, Q, or A card comes you get ready to shove? Well, if you did decide to shove on that sort of turn it would be an overshove b/c the max the pot can get is 2100(both just calling) and the lowest is 1560 (with Stoli just calling). You would have 2500. If this was your plan, then raise more to setup a turn shove.

What I am wondering is why you raised. Are you welcoming a shove from one of your opponents? (like you got) or  Trying to get more money in the pot to shove the turn? (shoving on the river would be rough depending on what fell on the next 2 streets)

mmfitter
Guests
September 1, 2010 - 7:16 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

What I am wondering is why you raised

I raised to to either take the pot right there or iso and go heads up with orig raiser.

plessis204
Guests
September 1, 2010 - 7:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

def flatting the flop here and re-evaluating on the turn.  Never calling 3 streets unimproved here, and probably folding to a bet on a lot of turns here if he doesn't check.

as played, fold now.

re: your answer above–  There aren't enough times that he continues with worse/folds better to make raising viable here imo.  Given the board texture, just flatting here will typically take care of the other guy in the pot.

slowTAOn
Guests
September 1, 2010 - 7:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It seems like a somewhat decent flop for you to just call the flop with your top pair and hope to keep the pot small.  Since this is not the case I would fold this spot because I feel like I run into hands that have me crushed more times than I don't, especially considering there are not antes and not a whole lot of chips to be fighting over without a real hand.

mmfitter
Guests
September 1, 2010 - 11:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did fold, that was the easy part.

Wanted to hear opinions of the raise – very helpful responses – thanks, especially plessis:

def flatting the flop here and re-evaluating on the turn.  Never calling 3 streets unimproved here, and probably folding to a bet on a lot of turns here if he doesn't check. as played, fold now.

re: your answer above–  There aren't enough times that he continues with worse/folds better to make raising viable here imo.  Given the board texture, just flatting here will typically take care of the other guy in the pot.

like it

RonFezBuddy
New York City

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 2313
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 2, 2010 - 2:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I fold pre.  Yeah you're on the button but he's earlyish position and KQ can cost you a lotl when you flop TP vs early pos and you rarely win a big pot with it against his range.

FkCoolers
Cambridge, Ma (Central Square)
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 1610
September 2, 2010 - 9:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

It's definitely good enough to see a flop with. You just have to be a competent post-flop player. I wouldn't ever fold it on the button here.

You could flop a straight draw, two pair, a straight, or even top pair will be good at least half the time when you make it.

Agree with plessis204's analysis post-flop so no need to add anything there.

JDOG1645
Guests
September 2, 2010 - 1:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Your deep and he is deep I like calling IP. Like Casey said KQ is a hand that can smash other ranges at times ( or something like that).   I call flop I wouldnt raise and reevaluate turn.

swet1
Guests
September 2, 2010 - 2:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Depending on the player I'm mostly folding pf to a 3x this early and sometimes calling (Maybe ~20%)…call me a nit

Mainly to avoid spots like this. Same as plessis call flop and see turn but keeping the pot small…

plessis204
Guests
September 2, 2010 - 5:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

you guys are nits.

lespaulgman
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 626
September 2, 2010 - 5:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

plessis204 said:

you guys are nits.

I am going to have to beg to differ on this one. Think about where you are in the tourney. the blinds are 20/40. You are looking at 180 chips in the pot, what is that going to do for your tourney here. 3bb in the current situation isn't going to make or break your run at this point. KQo isn't a bad hand and can dominate a lot of players ranges, but it is still early and what are you really gaining by risking anything here. What happens when you do flop TP with your okay kicker, are you really going to the felt at this point. This hand cost 20% of the stack for what? I fold this preflop at this point in the tourney, I play this later on in the mid stages, but now just get away.

FkCoolers
Cambridge, Ma (Central Square)
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 1610
September 2, 2010 - 5:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

We're not calling look to felt it with top pair.

50% of the time or more if we hit our Q or K it's good. The guy can be raising all pocket pairs and some other hands mixed it.

That's what post-flop play is for.

What we really want is to make a bigger hand like two pair or a straight in position and have him be unable to get away from AK/AA on a K Q X X X board, etc.

If we flat pre, flat the c-bet and then fold to a large Turn barrel after giving the guy credit for a better hand we only lost 1/8 our stack.

If we call the c-bet and the turn goes check-check we're good here so often and we chip up a little. There's not really any harm here if you play good post-flop and don't go nuts early with single pair hands.

swet1
Guests
September 2, 2010 - 7:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The king is not good in this spot.

JDOG1645
Guests
September 3, 2010 - 10:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

FkCoolers said:

We're not calling look to felt it with top pair.

50% of the time or more if we hit our Q or K it's good. The guy can be raising all pocket pairs and some other hands mixed it.

That's what post-flop play is for.

What we really want is to make a bigger hand like two pair or a straight in position and have him be unable to get away from AK/AA on a K Q X X X board, etc.

If we flat pre, flat the c-bet and then fold to a large Turn barrel after giving the guy credit for a better hand we only lost 1/8 our stack.

If we call the c-bet and the turn goes check-check we're good here so often and we chip up a little. There's not really any harm here if you play good post-flop and don't go nuts early with single pair hands.

+100

plessis204
Guests
September 3, 2010 - 1:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

fwiw, i was calling you nitty for wanting to fold pre, not for not wanting to stack off on this flop

Cougars4444
Guests
September 3, 2010 - 8:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Callin pre on button is fine…..I'd just flat his flop bet and reevaluate turn…..he raised ep and fired pretty big on flop…..lots of turns im folding as well if unimproved

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11986

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1