View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Merge $109: 100K Guarantee When short do you induce or shove?
Carlos
Atlanta, Ga
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 778
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 2, 2012 - 8:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

[converted_hand][hand_history]Merge, $109 Buy-in (1,500/3,000 blinds, 300 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 8 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager – The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: 78,421 (26.1 bb)
BTN: 33,148 (11 bb)
SB: 174,650 (58.2 bb)
BB: 44,660 (14.9 bb)
UTG+2: 95,648 (31.9 bb)
MP1: 17,070 (5.7 bb)
Hero (MP2): 48,961 (16.3 bb)
MP3: 120,783 (40.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Qdiamond Qclub
2 folds, Hero ?
[/hand_history][/converted_hand]

This is a common spot. I never know if I should raise to induce people to get in with weaker hands or shove and hope that they have something strong enough to call me. I guess is survival more important or do I take the extra risk in order to double up.

marc alioto
Guests
December 2, 2012 - 9:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think this depends on your table image.  If you have open ripped a couple times before this spot I think you want to continue with that theme and ship your entire range.  Having said that, if you use a HUD you can also see what the Big Blinds VPIP is (him defending).  If that is over 50% and he isn't a reg, I prefer min raise as he is flatting enough to where we want to encourage him to be in the pot.

For the most part, if i ran this situation readless and HUDless, i personally would be shoving 100% of the time as I am not normally min raise folding a 16bb stack.  Based on that crucial fact, inducing becomes useless for me as my range would only consist of nutty hands and we aren't allowing our opponents the illusion of Fold Equity which is obviously key if we are trying to induce.

If we are shipping properly, it is important to balance our range by shipping the 910 suited type hands along with the qq and kks.

hope this helps,

Azn

duggs
nz
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 591
December 2, 2012 - 10:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ship it unless you have been going to war with someone or have a spewy image if the table is any good, in later position it becomes a clear r/c but its hard for anyone to do anything other than nut our range when we raise from here. If this is a weak table i prefer r/c

another note is that i would be raising if either of the blinds are fish (generally fish love to see a flop and we have their range crushed and getting away from the odd horrible flop is worth risk in getting them to put chips in with **** all equity).

In game i probably r/c just to get the button and bb to punt there stacks a bit wider, or for someone to flat and them to shove over the top with a widish range.

TiltedEV
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 181
December 3, 2012 - 8:35 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Since i'm typically r/f this short I think this is usually a clear r/c for me. When considering what to do think about the tendancies of your table, and you think they are likely to call this off light it could be a jam.

jamo
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 73
December 3, 2012 - 5:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If what AZN is true that your range for raising this stack size is nutty, then can't we mix in more non-nutty hands where we have to fold to 3bets? If there are players on the table that have seen you raise/fold a 16BB stack then this makes this a fantastic raise/call spot. What most have said in this spot is about your image at the table. If you're shoving a lot with 16BBs then carry on shoving since a raise looks so strong. If you've been raise/folding then raise/call. If, as others have said, there are weaker players behind then raise/call.

marc alioto
Guests
December 3, 2012 - 5:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just dont min raise fold a 16bb stackso I cannot answer this ? properly.  Say we had 20 bbs and we are min raise folding(as we should?),we now can mix in nuts and bluffs which works wonders deep in mtts.

florianm1
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 588
December 4, 2012 - 2:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i am raise/folding 16BB from LP most of the time. so i am raise/calling here all day long compared to shoving

Carlos
Atlanta, Ga
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 778
December 8, 2012 - 7:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

marc, I like your take on this hand I have been shoving more with a wider range under 20bb and sometime up to 25bb if I think they will call me light because of my image. this prevents a lot of post flop play and allows me to play more tables kinda like back in the SNG days.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1