View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Merge $215 High Roller Turned second pair and a gutshot OOP
Carlos
Atlanta, Ga
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 778
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
August 24, 2013 - 11:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

[converted_hand][hand_history]Merge, $215 Buy-in (100/200 blinds, 20 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players
<a href=”Poker”>http://www.holdemmanager.com/affdata/PASG-LLC/twoplustwo/“]Poker Tools Powered By <a href=”Holdem”>http://www.holdemmanager.com/affdata/PASG-LLC/twoplustwo/“]Holdem Manager – The Ultimate <a href=”Poker”>http://www.holdemmanager.com/affdata/PASG-LLC/twoplustwo/“]Poker Software Suite. View Hand [url=”http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/poker-hand-converter.php?url=%2Fpokertools%2Fhand%2F19075422%2F“]#19075422[/url]

MP3: 4,250 (21.3 bb)
CO: 5,469 (27.3 bb)
BTN: 14,650 (73.3 bb)
Hero (SB): 12,273 (61.4 bb)
BB: 6,062 (30.3 bb)
UTG+1: 13,384 (66.9 bb)
UTG+2: 15,947 (79.7 bb)
MP1: 7,102 (35.5 bb)
MP2: 9,475 (47.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Theart Kspade
6 folds, [color=”red”]BTN raises to 400[/color], [color=”red”]Hero raises to 1,200[/color], [color=”grey”]BB folds[/color], BTN calls 800

Flop: (2,780) Qheart Aheart 5diamond[color=”blue”] (2 players)[/color]
[color=”red”]Hero bets 1,400[/color], BTN calls 1,400

Turn: (5,580) Kclub[color=”blue”] (2 players)[/color]
Hero ?

[/hand_history][replayer=19075422][/replayer][/converted_hand]

Sorry about the hand history. I am having trouble with the TPE one.

Villain is a good reg. He is running 22/19 and opening 17% from the button. This is his first time facing a 3bet. 

What do you do on this turn?

FkCoolers
Cambridge, Ma (Central Square)
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 1610
August 26, 2013 - 8:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

c/c is the safest route, obviously. It's impossible to get blown off our equity unless he overbets the pot. 

c/r is the highest variance. 

Betting is as a semi-bluff mostly since he can have a lot of Qx and Ax.

I don't mind firing 3 streets here if we think he'll fold Qx on the river. 

If we're not sure of that, c/c seems like it should be the option we choose. 

Carlos
Atlanta, Ga
Member Moderator
August 26, 2013 - 8:50 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

TURN ACTION:

I checked. He bet like 1800.

If you check call, are you calling a large river bet when scare cards come?

What range are you putting him on after this bet? I'm very interested in which Ax hands he is likely to have.

FkCoolers
Cambridge, Ma (Central Square)
Member Moderator
Forum Posts: 1610
August 26, 2013 - 7:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Weird bet sizing. He's not really protecting any equity he might have so it seems sort of polarized. 

In game, without reads on villain's postflop tendencies I might be tempted to turn my hand into a bluff and raise him on the turn. 

Normally I'd expect mostly big Ax hands to show up but I suppose he can also have suited wheel Ax hands with is being so deep. I'd expect the middle trashy ones like A8 to not really want to play a 3 bet pot even with having position on us. 

We have some important blockers, too, in this hand. 

Carlos
Atlanta, Ga
Member Moderator
August 27, 2013 - 12:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

IMO Most big Ax hands would 4bet pre and if not, I block AK, and I dont think AQ would play this slow on this board.

I think small Ax would fold pre unless they were suited and even then all of them are trash on this board at this point except A5. Plus his button range is so wide that I think he is more likely to have a draw than anything else.

Bottom line, I didnt think he had an A and even if he did, I didnt think he could call if I piled, so i piled.

Thoughts?

Al29
Midstakes Master
Members
Forum Posts: 122
August 27, 2013 - 6:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Struggling to see what he's calling here with a 3 bet PF and 1/2 pot flop bet, and then willing to bet the turn, albeit a third pot bet.

I'd think you already lost all pairs Jacks and below? I agree AQ would unlikely play this way. AJ looks more possible, and maybe QJ? Shove from you looks scary, and I'd be looking for 2 pair or better to call….

shutEMdown
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 86
August 31, 2013 - 12:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting hand. His range wud seem to have alot of broadway combos. when he bets tiny on turn it essentially polarizes his range, hes either inducing or stabbing. Which makes me steer away from piling. c/c for sure. On river, i might want to do something silly but i dont know yet lol.

Carlos
Atlanta, Ga
Member Moderator
September 1, 2013 - 2:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I cant think of many hands he could be inducing with. So most times he is stabbing or he has something marginal he will fold to a shove.

In this case, he had J8 of hearts and called the shove. I won a huge pot.

I am not sure if this was foolish or if it was the right read and move and a spot I should be looking to push in more often in future tournaments.

shutEMdown
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 86
September 1, 2013 - 8:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

…..

CCuster 911
Delaware

TPE Pro
Forum Posts: 187
September 8, 2013 - 11:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

FkCoolers said:

c/c is the safest route, obviously. It's impossible to get blown off our equity unless he overbets the pot. 

c/r is the highest variance. 

Betting is as a semi-bluff mostly since he can have a lot of Qx and Ax.

I don't mind firing 3 streets here if we think he'll fold Qx on the river. 

If we're not sure of that, c/c seems like it should be the option we choose. 

Why do we aim to fold out Qx on river if we beat Qx? 

i think turn is interesting, but our goal with triple barrelling would be to get Ax that are not two pairs to fold(since all of them are the same versus our range).

I think with betting the turn we are getting everything to fold that isnt JT(if he floated this), QK, Aj and AT or some sick combo draw(but we have th blocker).  Despite the fact all Ax are ahead of the same part of our rnage, AJ and AT have outs to the straight which is valuable.  He might also show up with like KJ/QJ/QT(although i think he can fold these somewhat frequently), and obviously could have a hand liek AQ/55(but I doubt he flats turn if he does).

If he flaoted the flop, its becuase he thinks your range is wide, and if he thinks this a turn bet by you looks sizzly in his mind because this isnt a board people often double barrel with air(in fact without the backdoor trip/straight i wouldnt like bluffing here).  If he reads you as competant I do like a bet on turn.

As played, his sizing is a little baffling, it seems he might have called flop with Ax and getting value from all your hands that have meh equity(like KT) or he is nutted with TJ ORRRRRRR he is bluffing.  Your range is pretty capped here as you are not giving him a free card with 2pr+, so c/ring isnt really a viable option, and this allows him to bluff somewhat comfortably.  I think c/c is nice, but just know your range is face up(ax, and non two pair broadway). 

I just hope he gives up on river cause facing a bet there is no fun.

You ended up c/shoving which i ahte(for the previously listed reasons), but his call with J8hh is dubious at best and not something I assumed would happen when you said he was a good reg.

For Coaching - ccuster911@gmail.com - HH Reviews/Leak Finder(HEM or PT)/Concept Discussion

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

jankyjon

Elpokero

WhiteMountn

Jensen68

PotCommitted

kinser111

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11982

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1