View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Play this river... live $400 301 person MTT @foxwoods
brentd22
Guests
February 27, 2012 - 12:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Villain is a middle aged reg.  He seems creative, but not overly crazy or stupid.

Villain on btn – 100K+

Hero in BB – 70K

Blinds 1.5K/3K 200a

Folds around to the villain on the btn who limps (which was an odd move for him here).  SB completes and I check QcTh. 10.8K to a flop of Tc8s7c, sb checked, hero in BB bets 7500, villain calls 7500, sb folds.  22K to a turn of Kc and it goes c/c.  River 5x… hero?

Final Board – Tc8s7cKc5x 

Hero’s Hand QcTh

brentd22
Guests
February 27, 2012 - 12:54 am

Also one that I'm not sure about.

6BB's for hero

Mp1 shoves 15BB stk

BTN re-shoves ~20BB stk

Hero with 33 and only 6bb's total?  I folded, but felt it was close.  We just made money and moved up 1 spot and no pay jumps where very much for the next 7-9 spots.  1st paid $25K and we had $909 locked up with 28 players left.  So surviving wasn't part of my stragedy/wasn't scared to bust, I just felt 33 was probably 19% and I wasn't getting 4-1 closer to 2.5-1 so I chose to fold.  Should I be gambling that I'll be the best pair vs. 6-12 outs I needed to dodge?  

JLUDEOBV
Guests
February 27, 2012 - 2:31 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The first thing I would do is try and put the villain on a range of hands. I realize this is relatively tough to do since he his limp is strange but if you've played with him for awhile you might be able to do so. You def have to bet this flop but 7500 is way too big. If someone raises/jams are you folding? More than likely… so I like a bet of 4500ish here. When villain calls what hands are in his range? Does he limp button with premiums like QQ+? Possibly… but I think he's limping here more often with a “pretty good” hand like suited connectors or broadway cards or Axs… maybe even a small pocket pair. I like your check on the turn for pot control. I really don't see many K's in his range so if he bets I probably call even though a flush is possible cuz you do have the Qc.  River is obv good for your hand but quite honestly I'm not sure if I'm good here or not. I def check river and pray he checks back. If he doesn't then I reevaluate the hand and call/fold based on how big the bet is. If he does bet, I think he's repping a flush. There really aren't any 2 pair combinations in his range and I really don't think he plays a set that way. I also don't think there are many straight draw combinations that he actually misses because there aren't many 9's in his range. He could possibly have QJ and missed but who knows. I check and hope he checks back.

brentd22
Guests
February 29, 2012 - 2:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

His limping range to me was small pairs, suited connectors, and suited Q’s & K’s. He’s raising pre with suited aces and 2 big cards or medium/big pairs. After the flop he re-checked his cards and quickly called my bet. At that point my read was draws 9T, 9J, 9Q, 9K, KXcc, QXcc, and random floats.

I checked and he bet 40K a very large overbet. Now what? His range is leaning toward made hands trying to look weak. Maybe even nuts. Ur thoughts?

JLUDEOBV
Guests
February 29, 2012 - 4:04 am

Do you think he gets tricky by looking back at his cards if he has clubs?  People remember when their cards are suited and some try to get cute by looking back at their cards. Not knowing where we are at I fold here and save my 20 bb’s for good re-shove spots.

hapetimes
Guests
February 29, 2012 - 5:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

this reminds me of my last LIVE tourney not so long ago, the guy who'd been 3betting and opening a lot open limped the BTN which really puzzled me

turned out he had the Q4o on the 446 board to bust me

i agree with jlude about the flop bet size not needing to be so big to achieve the desired effect

turn check is fine

and i'm probably always checking that river for showdown – and sigh folding to the over pot bet in this case

calling off in this spot just seems yuck b/c it's real hard to tell where we are due to his weird open limp

isaacjames
Guests
February 29, 2012 - 10:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

brentd22 said:

Villain is a middle aged reg.  He seems creative, but not overly crazy or stupid.

Villain on btn – 100K+

Hero in BB – 70K

Blinds 1.5K/3K 200a

Folds around to the villain on the btn who limps (which was an odd move for him here).  SB completes and I check QcTh. 10.8K to a flop of Tc8s7c, sb checked, hero in BB bets 7500, villain calls 7500, sb folds.  22K to a turn of Kc and it goes c/c.  River 5x… hero?

Final Board – Tc8s7cKc5x 

Hero's Hand QcTh

I dont mind your bet on the flop if you feel villain will fold overcards (i doubt he will fold flush or str8 draws), but live in general requires smaller cbets to fold most hands unless they are drawing.

OTR I am check calling up to around 11k.  he definitely played as a speculative hand trying to hit.  and the clubs and some unlikely str8s got there so there is nothing you can beat that calls your bet, so let him bluff if he missed or check back his second pair.  If he bets I will call a smaller sized bet unless you have a pretty good reado of him overbet bluffing

Pneumatic
Guests
February 29, 2012 - 9:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

His range is very merged. I feel as though most of the time he has a 9x or a worse ten. He could also have the flush, however.

The best play is to bet/fold around 11k. You had 20 bigs heading to the river and b/f 3 bigs is not a catastrophe. The other reason I think it’s profitable is the villain you described didn’t sound like the type to bluff-raise the river. Therefore if he raises you are obviously behind, ez game. If he calls you are most likely ahead.

Pneumatic
Guests
February 29, 2012 - 9:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Isaac, why not b/f 11k with some fold equity to win a percentage of the pots uncontested rather than surrendering that fold equity for the sake of pot control? If you think about it, b/f is pot control when the majority of his range is behind your hand, and the player in the hand isn’t capable of bluff-raising the river often enough to be dangerous.

I feel like the sum of the fold equity plus the thin value is greater than the losses sustained through being raised off your hand and when he has the flush.

bennymacca
Adelaide Australia
Road Gambling with Doyle
Members
Forum Posts: 2616
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 1, 2012 - 1:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i think JT and T9  and 98 show up here often enough for us to go for thin value on the river, and i think a lot of them call a very small river bet

brentd22
Guests
March 25, 2012 - 11:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I checked with intentions of evaluating bet size and most likely call a modest bet. Instead I check and V bets 40K.

I3betshove
Guests
March 26, 2012 - 9:20 am

I think this hand comes down to what you think he is doing preflop.

Is he slow playing a monster, or does he just want to see a flop with suited connectors or set mine?

Also, I think a smaller flop bet of maybe half pot is better.

Either way however, I don’t think I make the call for my tourn life with just middle pair.

I hate myself for folding but, too many times he got there with a flush, set or overpair.

hawkeyeK9
Guests
March 26, 2012 - 9:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I squeeze jam pre in the first hand and pick up the 10.8k. As played, smallish blocker on river and fold to a jam.

Van H3Lzing
Guests
March 28, 2012 - 11:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hawkeyeK9 said:

I squeeze jam pre in the first hand and pick up the 10.8k. As played, smallish blocker on river and fold to a jam.

+1 to this

ytseshred
Guests
March 29, 2012 - 5:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Van H3Lzing said:

hawkeyeK9 said:

+1 to this

Really?  Not even sure if I do this online, but I def wouldn't do this live w/ QTo and 23bbs.  Live you're not on life support with 20-25bbs, cold jamming seems too high variance in this spot.

hawkeyeK9
Guests
March 30, 2012 - 1:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is a definite spot for a jam pre. Think of how much you are picking up with limps and antes. Punish them, you will get folds almost always in this spot and when you dont, you have a hand that flops well and you can really get a stack. Cant pass these up man, these are crucial.

isaacjames
Guests
March 30, 2012 - 5:07 pm

Pneumatic said:

Isaac, why not b/f 11k with some fold equity to win a percentage of the pots uncontested rather than surrendering that fold equity for the sake of pot control? If you think about it, b/f is pot control when the majority of his range is behind your hand, and the player in the hand isn't capable of bluff-raising the river often enough to be dangerous.

I feel like the sum of the fold equity plus the thin value is greater than the losses sustained through being raised off your hand and when he has the flush.

I hear you. Agression is better in most cases.  however here it seems to me the only hands you fold with an 11K bet are those that you beat (except maybe an unlikely call with an 8) and then ones that call are those you lose to. So I  don't see tremendous fold equity unless you bet big, maybe a pot sized bet..

Once I see this huge bet (almost 2x the pot) I see his range as polarized to bluffs and nut hands and I am Folding. His range still has a bunch of 2 clubs hands and str8 combos, as well as  trips or big pairs trying to trap early on that know they are ahead based on your check.  A hero call here is not worth it, I feel there are many more hands that hit in his range thant bluffs we pick pu for the price. and by checking you saved the 11K (now that we know he bet 40K I doubt he is calling or folding).

ytseshred
Guests
March 31, 2012 - 2:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hawkeyeK9 said:

This is a definite spot for a jam pre. Think of how much you are picking up with limps and antes. Punish them, you will get folds almost always in this spot and when you dont, you have a hand that flops well and you can really get a stack. Cant pass these up man, these are crucial.

Okay, picking up 9.5K if the table was full by picking up 2.5bbs and antes.  Still feels high variance in a live tourney in the money regardless of the math being profitable.  He said the limp was odd from this dude who he classifies as “creative but not overly crazy or stupid” – limping strong hands can't be impossible.  Does the hand really flop well against hands he limps but then calls off ~70% of his stack with if we shove pre?  I don't know the answer to that – wondering what range we assign him for that and what the stove numbers are?

Ironic the timing of your response quoted above along with your tweet from today 🙂  (via https://twitter.com/#!/Hawkeyek9/status/185879363970015232)

I am playing stupid aggressive for a month now. Need to tone it down!

ytseshred
Guests
March 31, 2012 - 2:14 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oops, my reluctance against the jam pre were thinking we were in the $ – I had blurred his description in the original post w/ his 2nd in the thread stating they were in the money.

Assuming the first spot was not yet ITM I'd loosen my stance to be as anti-shove pre.

hawkeyeK9
Guests
March 31, 2012 - 1:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Haha at the quoted tweet. I still like a jam though. laugh

mmfitter
Guests
April 1, 2012 - 12:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

With the blinds and antes getting up there at this stage, knowing what your M is can be extremely helpful. With an M of 10 I was taught you gotta be careful of making these plays w a hand like QTo because it's just just not necessary yet. Esp live where you see players limp/call or limp behind and call a shove w hands like KQ and AJ.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
14 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11986

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1