View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
What do you think about this call with a set? SCOOP 27$1R1A
p1kZoR
Wiesbaden, Germany
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 99
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 25, 2013 - 12:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I really had a bad feeling on that hand, when i called. What do you think?

Pretty dry flop, vs. UTG 20BB minraise and BigStack call. I even wanted to fold vs 20BB stack, because i thought there is no set value in 20BBs, but after BigStack called, i decided to fill it up.

UTG+1: unknown, new at the table.

MP BigStack: 22/9/0 (only 23 hands, he came to table with 30k stack, trippled up with AK all in)

Poker Stars $24.55+$2.45 No Limit Hold'em Tournament – t1000/t2000 Blinds + t250 – 8 players – View hand 2219593
TournamentPokerEdge.com Hand History Converter

rezla23 (SB): BB = 16.0, t32099
Hero (BB): BB = 57.8, t115596
silna_rakia (UTG): BB = 27.6, t55172
spartakrus1 (UTG+1): BB = 26.1, t52285
starsdk (MP1): BB = 67.2, t134453
spinefect (MP2): BB = 37.8, t75529
TrenerMedved (CO): BB = 20.8, t41564
Dr Bjahn (BTN): BB = 29.0, t57959

Pre Flop: (t5000) Hero is BB with 6 of diamonds 6 of hearts
1 fold, spartakrus1 raises to t4274, starsdk calls t4274, 4 folds, Hero calls t2274

Flop: (t15822) J of hearts 6 of clubs 7 of spades (3 players)
Hero checks, spartakrus1 bets t6874, starsdk raises to t14000, Hero calls t14000, spartakrus1 folds

Turn: (t50696) Q of spades (2 players)
Hero checks, starsdk bets t115929 all in, Hero calls t97072 all in

River: (t244840) 8 of clubs (2 players – 2 are all in)

Was it a good play for me? Or should i 3bet squeez the UTG stack? Any possible way to fold on turn? If im honestly, i had a bad feeling, when he pushed 2x potsize on Turn. His call pre and the 3bet the UTG cbet, although he should know 20BB stack might have overpair… And after i call his 3bet, instant dry shove on Turn. Would it have been a good fold here with my set or do i have to call it..?

8500 ppl start this tourney, and 700 were left, like ive said i was running good and had a healthy 2x avrg stack.. Obv ABC-Players gonna say “sure its a call” …I hope to get some feedback by some more experienced MTT regs. Because this other player was a nitty ABC player i thought… Even i only had 23 hands… He only played 2 of them… AK all in and this one… So whats best here, fold or call on turn?

danrose29
Midstakes Master
Members
Forum Posts: 147
May 25, 2013 - 1:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i am a bit abc but i think u should get it in i think often ul be crushing him

p1kZoR
Wiesbaden, Germany
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
May 25, 2013 - 6:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

But its like no way he 3bet him with AJ …AND if he does, he would not put 2x avrg stack all in on turn with it… Even not with JQ :/ …The only reasonable hand he could play like that is 77 imo, and i really tankcalled this 🙁

p1kZoR
Wiesbaden, Germany
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
May 26, 2013 - 2:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

push

MFlip
Guppy
Members
Forum Posts: 5
May 26, 2013 - 3:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

p1kZoR said:

But its like no way he 3bet him with AJ …AND if he does, he would not put 2x avrg stack all in on turn with it… Even not with JQ :/ …The only reasonable hand he could play like that is 77 imo, and i really tankcalled this 🙁

No one is shoving 2x pot with a set. He can easily just bet turn, bet river to get it in. Super easy call.

MadBaltic
Estonia
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 80
May 27, 2013 - 11:45 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Snapcall.

p1kZoR
Wiesbaden, Germany
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
May 27, 2013 - 4:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Def. not a snapcall for me, if u think about this a bit further than ABC theory tells you to do

I mean what hand could he otherwise have here with his tight image so far?

He would fold J6/J7 preflop, also 67/45/89.. It would be too loose call vs 20bb stack and UTG raise. If this guy would habe been loose calling station, i would have snapcalled him, but not if he was pretty tight. The only hands make sense when he reraise the UTG cbet are JJ or 77… And MAYBE traps like AA or KK, what i dont think, because i wouldnt expect him to do something like that.

Even with AJ, JQ i dont see any reason, why he should reraise on flop. When i called, i was praying he has JQ, but i was pretty sure he hasnt.

He pushed the turn so huge, because i think he was afraid of playing such a bigstack and didnt want to lose it vs a hand like 45/89/58 (i was BB, so he probably thought i have to have an openender, if i call such a strong reraise on flop).. And on the turn were enough chips in pot for him to push and just take it down right there. The player seemed pretty nitty and bad, thats why i had such a bad feeling about his hand, when i called.

So bestcase scenario is JQ, the only reasonable hand, what he probably could have pushed on turn (still if he had JQ, he wouldnt reraise on flop, and just call the cbet…) If i call my 2x avrg stack on turn, i only run vs 77, JJ and (huge) MAYBE win vs JQ… I dont think its worth to call there such a huge push 🙁

NBG
Melbourne, Aus
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 50
May 28, 2013 - 3:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I dunno, from what I gather you lost the hand, which might be influencing your review of it, but seriously no player, good or bad should be shoving 2x pot with a made hand here (sets and straights).

IMO it could be a fishy way of him playing AA KK, scared by all the action and the board texture. Snap call all the time for me.

EatABagOfDonks
Flounder
Members
Forum Posts: 7
May 28, 2013 - 10:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Since he flatted the shortstack pre-flop, he could be trying to induce a reshove by one of the other short stacks with AA,KK,QQ, maybe JJ… but more likely he has weaker broadways (AJ,KJ,KQ,QJ..etc.), mid pockets, mid suited connectors, and maybe some suited gap connectors like J7, J9..etc.

The flop is somewhat connected, but pretty dry. I wouldn't really expect him to raise here with his sets. I would be putting him on some sort of top pair (AJ, KJ, QJ), possibly J7 for two pair, or a straight draw (possibly with a backdoor flush draw) like 98s or T9s. Occasionally he can have 77 and very occasionally AA, KK, QQ, JJ… but it seems unlikely.

When he shoves the turn I'd be putting him on QJ or J7 for two pair, combo draws, and then the less likely sets and overpairs. If you pokerstove it, your equity against this range is about 82%. You say he was tight… so maybe you can take a few of those combo draws out of his range, but even if you take all of them out you still have about 67% equity. It's hard to say definitively what would be in his range with only 23 hands worth of data. I'd happily get it in with 66 – if he's got 77, so be it.

Out of curiosity, what did he actually have?

p1kZoR
Wiesbaden, Germany
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
May 30, 2013 - 4:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

He had the 77, i think he was a bad player, who was afraid of “difficult” decision on the river. Like when river comes like “8” or “3”, he didnt wanna be beaten by a straight. I think this was the reason he shoved his stack on turn (I was BB calling, so if I call his 3bet, i think he thought i had an openender, thats why he shoved turn) …Obv its a bad shove with a set, but thats my thinking why he did it. However, i see on TV like ppl lay down FullHouses or sets on some boards like with “JJ” on an AAJKT board. I thought maybe this could have been such a laydown for me too. But if u all think its ok, so it be. Thanks

packallama
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 176
May 30, 2013 - 6:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why did you flat the flop instead of 3betting to get it in?

p1kZoR
Wiesbaden, Germany
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
May 30, 2013 - 11:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

His reraise on the flop was so strong, that i decided to let him hang himself. If I rereraise him on flop i would scare too many hands away & would not give him a chance to bluff.

packallama
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 176
May 31, 2013 - 11:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I doubt anyone will continue to bluff after someone cold calls a flop 2b on a dry flop. I think it is better to 3b flop and hope he spazzes with slowplayed QQ+, Jx, or a straightdraw.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
27 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

jankyjon

Elpokero

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11986

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1