View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
2014 - The Year of Turbos
jasonchr
Charlotte, NC
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 93
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 5, 2014 - 10:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So for those who didn't see my intro post, I am currently juggling a full time job along with grad school. So I don't have a huge amount of time to focus on poker in 2014 but still wanted to set some goals for my game. So I've decided to make 2014 the year of turbos! I think turbos fit in the best with my schedule and I'm honestly enjoying them. Patience is not my strong suit and grinding these tournaments for 6-8 hours was getting a little old smile

I will be playing exclusively on Bovada and mixing in Turbo DONS & 6 max SNGs. My volume in January was fairly high (for me) since I didn't start grad school until later in the month. I didn't get to tally up the total amount of tournaments but it was probably 100+.
January Results
134 DONS – 6% ROI
114 6 max SNG – 0% ROI 
Tournament results –

1/1/2014 $2K Knockout (non turbo)   2 $498

1/4/2014 $2k Turbo DS   1 $547
1/14/2014 $2k Super Turbo 10k Chips    4 $245

1/27/2014 $2K Turbo DS   2 $412
1/29/2014 $500 SS (non-turbo)   2 $240

1/31/2014 $2K Action Hour Turbo   4 $229
1/31/2014 $3K Turbo DS   2 $546
Thoughts
Can't complain, a pretty good start to the year. The 6 max SNGs were definitely helpful in learning when to be aggressive and when to let people just spazz out. For February I am going to start some coaching sessions and really look to tighten up my game. The main problem I saw is just inconsistency. So having a coach is going to be great in keeping me accountable. I am planning on taking some time off work in March to play the Black Diamond Championship series that Bovada is running. So I have good motivation to work hard on my game this month!
2headedmonst
Lighting Money On Fire
Members
Forum Posts: 26
February 5, 2014 - 1:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck with your goals. I too work full time and also am doing grad school online, plus my wife and kids, so I don’t have a whole lot of time for grinding either. But I try to get an hour or so a night in, and I too have been focusing on DONS and Turbo SnG’s. I have also been playing cash as well. It’s just tough to get a full MTT session in, but I try when I can because those are my favorites. I started out very rough on SnGs and DONS, but I have started to turn those around and have begun to be above break even on those. Cash has actually been very profitable for me lately. I have recently joined TPE and I have already learned a ton and can tell improvements in my game that have led to improvements in SnGs and cash. I really want to master the SnG game and play MTTs when i can. Good luck this year and I look forward to updates

jasonchr
Charlotte, NC
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
February 5, 2014 - 2:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes, sounds like we are in the same situation! I'm doing my grad program online at the University of Colorado – how about you? 

Would be happy to talk SNG strategy anytime – what site do you play on? The nice thing about Bovada is you get to download everyone's hole cards post game. Really helps to see what people are betting & shoving in those games. I also found this book pretty helpful – …..ngs.com/ 

GL!

jacobsharktank
Florida
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 547
February 27, 2014 - 4:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

just saw this. UPDATES JASON

we bovada fools gotta stick together 🙂

jasonchr
Charlotte, NC
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
March 4, 2014 - 2:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

February Updates:

A good month. Started some coaching sessions which have been super helpful. Watching a video is great but there's nothing like having someone looking over your shoulder and asking questions. 

Made six final tables – biggest cashes were for $1k and $2k in the nightly $10k Turbo DS. Roughly $5k total in winnings. Going to do a better job this month of keeping track of all my buy ins so I know my ABI and can analyze my profits better.

Excited to take a week off from work this month to play in the Bovada Championship series! Going to work on my game as much as possible and hopefully take an event down. 

manxmann78
Lighting Money On Fire
Members
Forum Posts: 25
March 4, 2014 - 5:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey Jason, I have just joined and was happy to see someone in my situation too. I have a busy full time job, wife and kids which makes playing anything other that SNG’s a bit tricky.

I’m just starting out so playing 6 max single table micro stakes and am enjoying it. Have been winning a fair bit so looking to go up a level, which is only $7 so not exactly big money. But am teaching myself to play two tables at once while still playing optimally and it seems to be working.

How did you find a coach? Do they charge a lot?

Good luck with your goals. Will keep an eye on your updates.

jacobsharktank
Florida
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 547
March 4, 2014 - 8:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

nice month jason. it's been fun and informative skyping during our sessions. i know i've realized mistakes a lot faster that way. 🙂

glad to hear youll be in a lot of the championship series. i hope youre in the main event with me! 

jasonchr
Charlotte, NC
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
April 1, 2014 - 10:28 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well I wish I could say this is a April fools post but March turned out to be a bust frown I actually started mixing in a lot of non-turbos and was doing well at the start of the month, up about $3k. But I hit a downswing in the latter half and ended up -$1k on the month. 

However, I was happy with my volume this month and ended up playing around 250 tournaments with an ABI of $40. With the downswing I've been taking a deeper dive into my HHs. This will also be a focus in my coaching sessions. So far I've noticed that my middle/late stage game needs some work. I seem to be doing well with building up a top 10 stack but then punt it off in the end.

One of the benefits of the Bovada HH review is that I can see the good folds and bluffs I'm making in addition to reviewing my terrible plays surprised.  I'm trying to focus on using this as a learning opportunity and owning my mistakes. Here's to a better April!

SIGABA
California
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 201
April 2, 2014 - 1:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You will do it.  Everytime when you have a downswing or you make a lot of mistakes, you learn something new.  That means that you can apply what you learned to your future.

Take what you learned and move on to the next month.  April is a new start smile

Douggyfr3sh
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 181
April 2, 2014 - 5:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jason- This downswing seems like it is really forcing you to dig into your HH's and make the correct adjustments.  It will end up being a good thing!  Keep working and you will be back in no time.  It's all variance 🙂

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
46 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1