View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 (1 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
50k bankroll by end of 2012
xandelas
Guests
January 5, 2012 - 8:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cliffs:

– starting roll of 6K

– earn 50K bankroll by end of 2012

– play avg 35 tourneys a day, 20 days a month

– abi to never go above 1/150 of my roll

Hey there, decided to set up a PG&C thread for 2012 to really get me motivated. I work full time in IT and find it as boring as shite. I really want to make poker my sole source of income, so am setting out to make 2012 the year in which I grind out a big enough roll to make that happen. In short I want to earn a minimum 50k bankroll over the next 12 months and then make a decision as to whether I quit my job or not. Quite a big call for me given that I have 2 kids and a mortgage, but I swear I’ll go nuts if I have to stay in IT much longer 🙂

I made around 25k last year but unfortunately I’ve withdrawn and spent most of it (I should stop telling my wife about my big wins as we immediately start thinking of ways to spend it). I’m going to start with an initial roll of 6k and if I blow that then game over, but I’ll be following some strict brm rules, so hopefully that won’t happen.

My main game is turbo mtts, and I’m pretty comfortable with a 15-25bb stack, so those will be my main focus. I really want to improve my deep stacked game this year so am going to start mixing more reg speed tourneys into my schedule, and will be taking shots at the $162 and Sunday million on Monday public holidays here in Australia.

So in order to make $50k, I will need to make around $4166 a month. Playing 20 days a month, with an abi of $30 and beating them at a roi of 20% that equates to about 35 tourneys a day. I’m going to focus more on the volume aspect of this target rather than the actual dollars, so as to not let variance get to me too much. I think if I can put in this amount of volume then I’ll have a decent shot at hitting my goal.

Now the tricky thing for Australian players is that the evenings are not great as far as volume is concerned. The tourneys are unbelievably soft, but you can’t really get in any serious volume, and having a family it’s not really ideal from that perspective as well. I will put in some evening sessions, but certainly not every day. The really high volume time for us is early morning (really freakin early, like 4am!). So my plan is to get up at this ridiculous hour and grind $3r, $8, $15 and $35 sngs plus whatever turbo mtts kick off around then. A few nights a week I’ll also do a session playing the higher buyin turbos like the $77, $109 and $85 hyper, and on weekends when i’m not doing other stuff, put in some mega sessions playing reg speed mtts as well as turbos.

Bankroll management rules will be to maintain an abi of $30 while my br is above $5000. If it drops below $5000, then drop the abi to $25 etc. Will always keep at least 150 buyins in my account. I’ll also scale up my abi as my br increases. Once my br is above $10k I won’t increase my abi above $50 as I’m pretty sure that would be -ev for me.

One of the other reasons for starting this thread is to have something that my wife can look at to see that I’m actually achieving the goals I’m setting out to achieve. As I’m sure a lot of guys here can relate to, it’s not an easy task convincing a partner/family that poker is anything apart from luck. Fortunately my recent success has given her a lot of confidence in my ability to earn money from poker, but I need to put in some solid results over a longer time span in order for her to really believe that i can do this.

As far as this thread is concerned, my aim is to update at least once a week, good or bad.

Any comments on any aspect of the challenge are welcome. I really think I’ve got a good shot at doing this, but if anyone thinks I’m not being realistic then fire away 🙂

Wish me luck!

xandelas
Guests
January 5, 2012 - 9:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Will be a bit of a slow start to this challenge, as I’m currently overseas on holiday, but back in oz tomorrow and with jet lag it should be pretty easy to get up at 4am to kick things off.

Have done a few short sessions here in Singapore, but as I’ve only got a laptop and no HEM/hud, haven’t been doing too much mass-tabling. Had a terrible start to the year not making a single cash in my first session with a seemingly endless run of coolers and bad beats, but made up for it with a 3rd in a $77 6 max turbo later on. Nursed a 10 bb stack from 25 left right through to 3 way on the FT, which I was pretty proud of 🙂

Up around $300 so far, but I’ll post mores accurate updates once I’m back using my desktop and HEM.

bennymacca
Adelaide Australia
Road Gambling with Doyle
Members
Forum Posts: 2616
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 5, 2012 - 9:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

nice work – i certainly agree with you that it is pretty hard to find some decent tourneys in australian night times, especially turbos, although i am about ABI $20 so its a little easier. 

interesting to see how you go though, i have about the same bankroll as you, and could conceivably put in at least half the time you are, so i will be following your progress with interest

swhitelex
Guests
January 5, 2012 - 10:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t have that type of bankroll but I have a wife and three kids. My wife doesn’t have any idea of what poker is. She thinks it is just an obsessive Bobbie of mine. I will be interested in your progress. I am in IT too and can definitely relate with where you are. I spent all day working on Exchange and doing some migrations. If I see another progress bar I would just choke. I do some of my grinds by using a VM machine with HEM on my laptop so grinds sometime whilst I “watch progress”. Lol. I have FT while I do it.

RonFezBuddy
New York City

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 2313
January 6, 2012 - 2:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

really nice post.  Good luck and definitely will be following your progress.

ttwist

TPE Pro

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 1230
January 9, 2012 - 9:41 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

all the best to everyone in 2012. this is a great approach to things glgl

xandelas
Guests
January 9, 2012 - 8:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the well wishes. Back home now, and like I thought, getting up at 4am has been a breeze with jet lag – just have to stay in this routine now smile

Had some horrific run-bad the last few days. Busted out deep in so many tourneys it's not funny, and always in spots where I have no option but to get it in (I shove A10 in SB and BB wakes up with AK or button shoves 12BB and I call with AJ in BB and his 9s hold up). And if it's not the coolers and losing flips, its getting my aces cracked by 57o on the bubble of a $35 180 sng… cry

Haven't started tilting yet in the traditional sense, but I'm starting to really tighten up my game as a result which is bad. I know it will turn around, but it's never fun.

I'm still playing on a laptop without a HUD, as my brother and his family are staying with us at the moment and I can't use the room where my PC is. I normally 16-20 table, and am limited to 8 tables tiled on the laptop. I started trying to play stacked, and I honestly don't know how people do it. So hard to get a sense of game-flow, and without a HUD it's almost impossible to get reads, so this probably has a lot to do with my lack of results.

So today I went back to playing only 8 tables tiled and it was more of the same run-bad. When I got down to my final 2 tables (a $15 and $8 turbo) I said to myself “I'm going to win one of these no matter what!”. Really concentrated on playing my best, got deep in both and binked the $8. Not losing every single flip helped, but I also think there must be leaks in my game when I'm auto-piloting that I have to work on. Will go through all my games tonight and see if I can spot anything obvious.

Overall, I'm down around $800 since starting. I play $30 hypers when I don't have long to play to keep my push/fold game sharp, and am up a few hundred in those, but I'm not including them in this challenge, so I'm probably down around $1000 in mtts. I'm dropping my ABI down to around $20 until I get out of this down-swing. Will get everything in HEM this weekend so I can post some more accurate results.

swhitelex
Guests
January 9, 2012 - 11:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Keep your head up. I have HEM2 and really like it. I have it running on a laptop but find that I am not profitable when I run a lot of tables. I have toned it down to just 4 now where I am profitable. I really like the new HEM2. Lots of new stats and great way for sharing hands and great reports.

xandelas
Guests
January 10, 2012 - 12:01 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny you should mention HEM2, as I've been using PT until now. Bought HEM2 recently but had probs with it on the laptop, so waiting to try it on my PC. Have to agree that all the new features look amazing, so can't wait to have a play.

bennymacca
Adelaide Australia
Road Gambling with Doyle
Members
January 10, 2012 - 12:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

i like HEM2 as well, but it seems to crash pretty often for me. i had it from the alpha version though, so i think there may be some leftover problems from that. i think i might do a fresh install some time

xandelas
Guests
January 10, 2012 - 9:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Did my first evening session this year last night, and wow, the games are so different at this time! Tables full of my countrymen all calling each other fish and playing terribad laugh  I swear, the standard in $2.50 180s is higher than in these. Got itm in three tourneys ($109, $75 and $33 6 max turbos), but couldn't close any of them. Looking at my bust out hands today, I think the $109 and $75 are standard, but not sure about the $33. I was in the SB with 8BB and the button shoved his 8BB stack. I had JTo and figured it was slightly ahead of his range (pretty much any 2). I probably should have passed it up as I could survive another round, but I don't think it was a huge mistake as we were still 30 places out so no ICM considerations really.

Marginally profitable session overall, but still no big score to put me back on track. I feel it's coming, especially if I play another evening session, so will just hang in there.

bennymacca
Adelaide Australia
Road Gambling with Doyle
Members
January 10, 2012 - 10:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bad luck. 

with the JT hand, i would prolly rather call off with K7 or Q9 just because there are a few more of the villain's shoving range that you how have a better high card, but it would have to be close to neutral EV i would think

xandelas
Guests
January 14, 2012 - 5:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Finally back on my desktop and able to use my HUD again! Can't get HEM2 to run for more than 30 mins without crashing, so have gone back to PT3, which does the job nicely anyway. I bought HEM2 cos it seems like everyone is using it nowadays, but HEM2 is such a flaky bit of software that it's completely unusable for a serious player atm. I think they rushed it out early to pre-empt PT4, but might have done themselves a lot of damage in the process.

Anyway, I promise not to whine about running bad again, (even though I have been smile). Did a big session yesterday analysing my games and found a few leaks that are pretty bad:

– getting suckered by inducers a lot. People are inducing with a wider range now (used to be only AA/KK, but now more people are inducing with 10s+/AQ+), but even so, I gotta stop jamming AT/AJ over these guys.

– Shoving K7/A6 from too early position

– Calling late position shoves with A rag is def -ev against most regs shoving ranges

– Trying to own fish too much post flop. I think this stems from not using a HUD so I can pick up on who the staions are. A couple of times I was 2/3 barelling against stations which I'd never do if I had a read.

So I then did a big session after that, and I realised how much I rely on my HUD (especially playing 8+ tables). Made a lot of decisions much easier, although I still made some bad mistakes, which I immediately regretted. Got deep in a $75 turbo, and was doing great on a really soft table. Then I got AA and QQ on consecutive hands and couldn't get anyone to pay me off, which really annoyed me as they were doing rediculous things and I was sure I'd get paid… so next hand out of frustration I called off the biggest donk's shove with A8… god I'm an idiot!!!!!

Played well in my other games, but lost lots of flips late. Ended up going really deep in a $3r with 1000 runners and actually ran well deep! Key hand was a triple up with QQ on the FT. Ended up getting 2nd for 1.8K which pretty much puts me back to breakeven for the year:

Downswing was way more than I would have liked, but hopefully I'll be back on track now that I've got my HUD going.

xandelas
Guests
January 19, 2012 - 8:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Update 20th Jan 2012

Still just going sideways, but I'm really happy with the way I'm playing at the moment, and just have to hang in there. I've lost a couple of big flips deep in some of my higher buyin tourneys and I'm sure a decent score isn't far off. Final tabled a $35 180 today but got unlucky with QJ<Q9 (can't believe the BB called my CO shove with Q9!). Also binked a $3.50r after one of the most ridiculous HU matches ever. Opponent had a 10-1 chip advantage and the deck just smacked me in the face until I won. If only I could get some of that run-good when I really need it…

Entered the first TCOOP event today ($22 6max) and having got up at 3am was determined to play my small-ball A-game for at least the first hour. Got on a table with crazy Russians 3bet shoving 200bbs over every raise I made, showing A2o and the like. So I switched into TAG mode and bided my time and eventually got dealt QQ. Made a standard raise, got shoved on as usual, called and the guy has KK 🙂 Really looking forward to some of the other events where hopefully there won't be such huge fields (40K starters is basically a lottery). The structures are nice and deep so you can take your time to find good spots.

Only halfway through the volume part of this challenge for this month. I'm meant to play 700 tourneys a month, and so far have only done half that. Need to pump out 35 a day for the remaining days this month. Big ask I know, but I should be able to get in 2 sessions tomorrow and a huge one on Sunday that should get me within striking distance…

xandelas
Guests
January 21, 2012 - 4:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Been having some great fun playing the TCOOPs. I've been cutting my tables right down so I can concentrate on them more, and have been really happy with my play. I've been ranging people really well, and making good folds (layed down AQ a couple of times and turned out to be right). I won a satty into the $82 big antes, and was going really well despite no great hands and then got crippled with AQ<A8 and busted soon after.

Today I played the $11r and had a really soft table so managed to get a nice big stack by the end of the rebuy period. Was only showing down premiums so image was great and things were looking good… and then I got swapped to a table full of regs with even bigger stacks than me :/ No easy steals here, but managed to stay level. Was approaching the money and then in close succession lost AJ<A8 and AK<A9 to bust out 20 from the moneycry Ashamed to say I got really tilted and started shoving random hands in my other tourneys… and won a bunch of 60/40s 🙂 Got abused of course, but made me level headed again, so ended up going really deep in all of them, but only managed small cashes.

Got 2nd in a $25hyper yesterday to give my graph another bump, but still waiting for that biggish score to give me some momentum. Anyway, here's the graph so far:

Image Enlarger

Playing the $33 TCOOP today, so here's hoping for a deep run…

EDIT: This is getting ridiculous – really deep in a $44 turbo, and bust out with AK<A6 and then AT<A3cry

xandelas
Guests
January 24, 2012 - 1:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Back at the bottom of my saw-tooth graph again 🙁

I'm definitely being tested by the poker gods atm, but am going to grit my teeth and hang in there. Psychologically it's hard going, but I'm still loving poker and get up every day really keen to play. Had my aces cracked by A9 twice today, which sucked hard. Wasn't going to play the $153 TCOOP, but registered for a few $20 satelites, and got in on my third and last attempt… only problem was it was 20 minutes into it by the time the satty finished, so was at 10bb straight away and never really had a chance to get going.

Did really well in the $11 turbo however and was in the top 5 with about 75 to go (had over 3000 starters). Ran card dead for about 5 orbits, and couldn't find any spots at all to chip up. Had a marginal spot where a small stack shoved from UTG and the chip leader flatted from the hijack. I was in the BB with KJ and around 12 bigs and thought hard about shoving, but was scared of him slow playing a monster (although being an $11 turbo, not nearly as likely). He ended up having A9, and I would have rivered a straight, so regretting that one a lot, although it's not guaranteed he would have called my shove even though he would have had odds to. Busted out in 21st after I shoved my 8bb stack UTG with T9o and ran into AK.

swhitelex
Guests
January 28, 2012 - 9:47 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hang in there man.

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 4582
January 28, 2012 - 9:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

stick with it!  obviously lots of variance in MTTs, but just a matter of time before you ship a big one!

xandelas
Guests
January 28, 2012 - 4:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks guys, really apprecicate it. Yeh it's one thing understanding the variance in mtts, but dealing with it mentally is really hard to say the least. It starts to weigh down on you and really saps your motivation. I've had so many deep runs lately with no big scores, always losing that big flip late to bust out just in the money.

Funny story from yesterday:

I was on the exact bubble of a $75 turbo. Had JJ in the CO with an average stack. Guys behind me had the same size stack so wouldn't be calling my shove with anything except a monster. BB wakes up with AA 🙂 I was down to 500 chips, with one other guy in the tourney with 450, so it was a matter of who got the blinds first. Luckily he did and busted so I at least min-cashed. Down to 120 chips, but doubled and tripled and quadrupled my way back to 2K. Got dealt Aces, shoved, and got called by AQ and AK! If I win this I'm back to average stack again and looking at one of the biggest comebacks in history! But alas WhiteRabbito, who is an awesome player but also one of the luckiest guys I've seen, flops a flush and I'm out 🙁

After that, I decided to have a change of pace and play some regular speed tourneys as my wife's away this weekend so I could afford to play all day. Was such a nice change from the push/shove world of turbos, and I could actually put into practice some of the post-flop stuff I've picked up on TPE. Played 3 of them and cashed in 2 (got 19th in the nightly 30k), so I really wish I could play more regular speed stuff.

So I'm down about 2.5k in mtts this month, but up about 1k in sngs, so things aren't quite as bad as they look. Been playing a lot of the satellites to the TCOOPS which are quite profitable.

Had a big upheaval at work this week as well which may affect my ability to see the volume part of this challenge through. Basically my boss quit this week, and the CEO has asked me to take over his role. Would mean having to spend a lot more time at work and I really don't think I could do that and put in 3hrs a day of poker. I haven't decided whether I will take on the role yet, as I always vowed I'd never go into management, but seeing as I hate my job anyway, changing roles for a big payrise seems to make sense…

xandelas
Guests
January 28, 2012 - 4:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cashed another reg speed mtt just itm (yes I folded my way down to 8bb in order to cash). Here's my lol bust-out hand – win this and I'm back well above average…

Poker Stars $100+$9 No Limit Hold'em Tournament – t600/t1200 Blinds + t150 – 9 players

TournamentPokerEdge.com Hand History Converter

boyxavier (BTN): BB = 41.9, t50336
$mokin_aa09 (SB): BB = 18.8, t22557
apestyles (BB): BB = 15.4, t18441
Buffett1986 (UTG): BB = 20.6, t24664
Nick55 (UTG+1): BB = 15.7, t18865
GeorgeGunner (UTG+2): BB = 80.2, t96182
Hero (MP1): BB = 8.1, t9670
bliiz (MP2): BB = 13.7, t16476
cutup15 (CO): BB = 10.2, t12263

Pre Flop: (t3150) Hero is MP1 with Q of clubs A of diamonds
3 folds, Hero raises to t9520 all in, 1 fold, cutup15 raises to t12113 all in, 3 folds

Flop: (t22190) 4 of spades 8 of clubs K of diamonds (2 players – 2 are all in)

Turn: (t22190) Q of diamonds (2 players – 2 are all in)

River: (t22190) 9 of diamonds (2 players – 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t22190
Hero shows Q of clubs A of diamonds (a pair of Queens)
cutup15 shows T of clubs J of diamonds (a straight, Nine to King)
cutup15 wins t22190

xandelas
Guests
February 1, 2012 - 9:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

January Summary

Will post a graph later, but it's not pretty. Down around 3k in mtts in one month (although up about 1.1K in sngs and vpp bonuses), and my worst month ever I think. Only upside I guess is that it's forced me to take a good hard look at my game, especially around bubble time as that's where I've been exiting tournaments I get deep into. A couple of times I'm reshoving too light, as people with 12bbs rarely raise-fold on the bubble and always have it, but apart from that it looks like I've just been unlucky in these spots. I seem to have always been getting bad beats, coolered or losing flips deep.

Despite this I had to question why I'm always ending up around 10bbs towards the bubble, and not closer to 20, and I went back further in these tourneys and realised that I'm passing up a lot of reshove spots into bigger stacks that I used to take without even thinking last year, probably because I've lost a lot of confidence. If I have a 20bb stack on the bubble I can afford to lose a flip late, but with 10bbs you're out if you lose. So February resolution is to regain my confidence and make correct decisions 100% of the time.

Volume wise, I came pretty close to hitting my goal of 700 tourneys in the month (played 636). It was tough, and I'm not sure I'll be able to maintain that pace, so perhaps I'll have to revise my monthly target down to 500. Was hoping to be able to hit Platinum on stars, but doesn't look I'll be able to at that rate.

Late last month I started playing some large field regular speed tourneys and absolutely loved them. I think the only time I'll be able to play them is weekends, but intend to keep going with these. I came really close to final tabling the $55 30k last weekend, but tightened up too much late and blinded down to 10bb before busting out in 19th.

As far as my ABI goes, I'm going to lower that to about $15, and will take very few shots above $50. Once I'm back to breakeven I'll go back to my previous brm strat.

I'm going to have a lot happening irl in February, so will be even harder to hit my volume target. Apart from big upheavals at work, I'm also moving house next weekend, so might be without internet for a few days which will suck.

bennymacca
Adelaide Australia
Road Gambling with Doyle
Members
February 1, 2012 - 10:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

good luck! even though you are on a downswing, you seem to have your head screwed on right with regards to bankroll management etc so im sure its just a matter of time before you succeed.

xandelas
Guests
February 6, 2012 - 10:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ok start to Feb so far, but nothing huge. Thought I was destined to make a big score today in the $11 turbo (2nd deep run in this recently for me). Was in 5th place with 25 left and had a really soft table except for a maniac to my right who was doing ridiculous stuff like calling off with JTo. He shoved 15bb from EP and I wake up with AK in the SB. Win the pot and I'm massive chip leader, but alas his QTo gets there and he goes on to take 2nd cry.  5k up top, so definitely the one that got away…

xandelas
Guests
February 13, 2012 - 10:06 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Grinding along through February so far, about breakeven. Had a good day on Sunday, getting a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in $15 180s and a 3rd in a $3 rebuy, but apart from that one brief ray of sunshine it's been more crap luck deep in tourneys. Not just losing flips late which is fine but losing my 70/30s and 80/20s when it counts. I'd so much rather get knocked out early to one of these than 2hrs in…

Had a disastrous session yesterday, but not because of bad beats. It was early Monday Aus time, which is Sunday prime time in Europe. Had 16 tables loaded up and was doing really well in a whole bunch of tourneys when my connection to stars dropped out. I thought it was just lag at first, but after a few minutes it looked like it was something worse. Everything else was fine on the internet except the stars software. In desperation I rebooted my router, and it connected to stars again, but about 15 minutes had passed which is an eternity when you're deep in a turbo, so most of my big stacks were halved and a lot of my others were down to 3-4 bbs.

Kept on grinding and the same thing happened again about an hour later. This time I rebooted the router straight away, and after the 5 minutes it took to get back up and running I still couldn't connect to stars. Checked out the 2p2 forums and it seemed a bunch of other people were having the same issue, most of them blaming it on the double vision sunday. So after about 10 minutes I could connect again, and same thing, all of my big stacks were decimated, and one $15 in particular where I was 1/35 I was now 19/20. I managed to min cash it, but still that's a pretty big loss of equity.

I emailed stars and at least they didn't give me a stock reply about them not being responsible for people's internet problems. They denied there was any problem at their end, despite a rep posting in the 2p2 thread admitting that there was, but agreed to refund my buyins for any tourneys where I'd been “materially affected”. Because I cashed in the $15 where I was chip leader, I got nothing for that, and only got $40 refunded from the tourneys where Id been crippled. Better than nothing, but I reckon I lost at least a couple of hundred in equity from the tourneys where I had a big stack but only ended up min-cashing.

Hopefully will have a positive update soon to balance the negative ones I seem to keep doing smile

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 4582
February 14, 2012 - 12:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

always like checking out these updates, keep it up!

xandelas
Guests
February 16, 2012 - 12:42 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did my first evening session in a while last night, and I really wish I could do more of these as the tourneys are so soft compared to the mornings. I broke my brm rules a bit, playing a few higher buyin tourneys, but they are so +ev it's hard to pass up the opportunity. Made a deep run in the $109 turbo and with $6k up top was really, really hoping that this would be my break through tourney for the year. The thing I love about these is that it's so easy to keep your stack healthy without taking too many risks. You can min-raise with 15bbs and get it through more than half the time, and 3-bets are much easier to pull off as well. So I was cruising along nicely with 15bbs approaching the FT bubble when I get AK in the SB. It folds to me and I make the no brainer shove and the BB wakes up with KK. So I busted out in 11th for $400 which was a massive disappointment for me. I swear if I would have folded AK every time I was dealt it late in a tourney I would be at least 10k richer 🙂 (Only joking, I'm sure I've doubled up many times late in toureys with AK, but I only remember the bustouts). I was so mad I couldn't sleep for hours and am still fuming over it.

Moving house this weekend (was going to be last weekend, but house wasn't ready) and I may be without internet for 2 weeks! I'm a bit worried actually, as the phone company can't confirm whether ADSL is available at the new place until we actually hook up the landline. I know 2 other people in the area that have ADSL so it shouldn't be a problem, but life would really suck if I had to switch to mobile broadband or worse…

swhitelex
Guests
February 16, 2012 - 8:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

it is great looking at your thread for I am a micro stakes player trying to work with variance in my own little way. Last night, I did the same thing and just took a shot for the Monster on merge and ran meh, ok. I played well. I usually play during the day. You are correct, it does seem like more regs play during the day in the week on Merge. It is fun to play in the evenings and if you are taking shots, it's best to do it then for there are more fish in the sea.

Anyways…Important to note. Variance is there. It will be always there. It sucks to be sucked out with 73o against your AJo and the board runs 3 3 on the flop with an A. If you stay inside of your zone BRM,,, those spots shouldn't bother us too much. Anyways, keep it up. I would suggest when a big shot is taken, spend a couple days down in the lower part of your BRM range and then take some more juicy spots at times to keep the mojo up.

Poker is supposed to be fun and not dredgery. Relax and have fun. Also remember….”The nuts isn't until the river is dealt”. Thanks man for continuing to update us.

xandelas
Guests
February 16, 2012 - 5:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks swhitelex – all good advice. Poker has lost a bit of its fun for me lately (just a bit – I still love it), so I gotta try and relax and enjoy it more like I have in the past.

I've definitely been abusing the ABI concept this year. Just because I'm keeping my abi to $20, it's still really risky if my spread of buyins includes loads of $109s and $82 hypers. This has actually been a major flaw in my brm strat and I have to reign it in. I checked last night, and I'm actually running at 20% roi in my $3.50r, $8 and $15 180 mans, but negative at the higher buyins which has been the cause of my downswing.

xandelas
Guests
February 23, 2012 - 1:19 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Moved house last weekend, and still waiting for the phone to be connected. Have to wait for a technician to come out and check the line next Tuesday, and then wait for the ADSL to be hooked up after that, so could be another week or so before I get internet 🙁

Having an enforced break is kinda good, as I'm having time to reflect on things and devote more time to study. I've been re-watching some of the epic video series on TPE and it's amazing how rewarding it is to watch these more than once.

I might go over to my parent's place this weekend for a session, but not too likely as there's still a lot of unpacking to do, but I may be able to slip the leash after everything's sorted 🙂

swhitelex
Guests
February 23, 2012 - 8:30 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

it's been great for me to take breaks. I had to withdraw my roll for a bit for some life roll happenings. I plan on hitting online poker this coming week starting again on the micros with a little roll possibly. These enforced breaks are good to re-evaluate the game. I hope your move goes well.

xandelas
Guests
February 25, 2012 - 6:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Borrowed a wireless modem from work and managed to put in a session yesterday. Don't know whether it's the new house, but I had an amazing day and ended up over $4k! I'm not superstitious at all, but I changed my avatar at the start of the year, and the thought crossed my mind more than once that it's brought me nothing but bad luck. I also started thinking about how maybe my fortunes will change moving house, all very stupid stuff of course, but you can't help thinking like that when things seem to go wrong for so long.

Anyway, it's amazing how you can suffer for 6 weeks on a horrific downswing and then just one day can turn it all around. It started off with a win in a $15 turbo for $700, and I decided to take a few shots after that. Got 13th in the $50 turbo 2nd chance for $400 and then the big one was 2nd in a $109 turbo for 3k. I really should have won it, having a 5-1 chip-lead heads up, but the other guy just went on a heater and there was nothing I could do (I've been over the HH twice, and I'm not sure how I could have played it differently). Earlier on there was a spot with about 15 left where I got it in with AK against AQ, and I was just praying for it to hold up. A queen hit on the river and I was getting ready to smash the monitor when I realised that it made me a straight (the other guy even had the nerve to call me a luck-box!). These are the spots where I've been busting recently, and it was so nice to not get shat on by variance for a change.

So I'm pretty much back to breakeven for the year in mtts, but psychologically it feels like a huge burden has been lifted. Here's hoping I can keep the momentum going in the right direction!

I'll put in a few more sessions this week, but nothing too serious, as the wireless modem is a bit dodgy, and hopefully will have ADSL by the end of the week.

swhitelex
Guests
February 25, 2012 - 7:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Glad to hear. I am hopeful that there will be a sudden upswing on my end. I am just hitting down in stakes a bit and doing some lower varience games in my sessions and throwing in less volumes on MTT's until I can get my strength back up BANK wise so I can get my BR right to play in the games I like to play. Glad to see things turn around for you.

Donskey
Balla
Forum Posts: 308
July 5, 2012 - 11:25 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Any updates?

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
18 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

WSOPstar2B

LuckyEva

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11988

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1