View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 Topic Rating: 5 (1 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Barra2088 $500-$5k Bankroll challange
barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 41
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 28, 2015 - 12:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi i am Nathan (Barra2088 on PS), i am recreational player from Catterick North Yorkshire England. I have just finished having coaching from Matthew Hunt(theginger45)
and though this would be a good idea to use this to help me progress my game further, ready for 2017 to do hopefully another challange or something similar to this.

I will be updating this blog weekly most probably Tuesday/Thursday with how the progress is doing and what i have been doing during the week.
As i currently have a full time job,i will be mostly playing weekends, i can play during the week but most of this time will be used for studying,
if i do play during the week it will be to play SnG’s or Cash games.

I have set myself targets to hit during the year and here they are:
– By 31st March Bankroll Upto $1250

– By 30th June Bankroll Upto $2500

– By 30th September Bankroll upto $3750

– By 31st December Bankroll upto $5000

I am going to use the standard 100BI bankroll management.

I have never played live poker either so i am hoping to play at least 3 of these this year but will not be using this bankroll or adding the
winnings to this bankroll, this is purely an online bankroll challange, but will update what events i will be playing and how i get on in them.

This is going to be my general schedule for playing but sometimes it will have to alter with working away and not having internet connection sometimes
so these days/weeks will be used for studying.

Schedule – Mon – Study
Tue – Day Off/Update Blog
Wed – Study
Thu – Day off/Update Blog
Fri – Play Poker
Sat – Play Poker
Sun – Play Poker

Thanks for reading, hope you follow my progress.

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
January 6, 2016 - 4:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey TPE nation Happy New Year to you all,

I have had a change of mind and will not be updating this weekly. I am now going to update monthly or if i have a decent cash that has boosted the bankroll. The reason for this is i was trying to write the blog tonight after a week and had nothing to really mention. This being said ill let you know my bankroll is currently at $450 after the past week, i have been playing really well just not holding when i get it all in but i dont let these spots get to me as long as im playing well. Not had much time this week to study either due to getting back to work and the first week back always being the busiest.

Ill leave it there for now hopefully will be posting the cashes at least once a week fingers crossed, good luck to you all on the felt.

barra2088

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
January 9, 2016 - 6:52 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey TPE nation

Yesterday was a great day we FT 2 tournaments the $2.20r $4k gtd and the $2.20 $1.5k gtd. I played really well and was happy with how i played. i finished 4th in both tournies one for $355 and the other for $143. In the $2.20r we lost A8o<AJo BvB AIPF flop came KK8 turn J(sigh) river Q. In the $2.20 i got short on the final table i was card dead and got it in 22<A4o Flop came QQ4 and we couldnt improve. i will be reviewing these tournaments during the nex couple of weeks and ill post any interesting spots i come across if anyone wants to talk about them. Well i will leave it there for now and i am about to start my Saturday grind now hope i will be posting more results tomorrow. the Bankroll currently stands at $900

GL to you all on the felt.

barra2088

florianm1
Playing The Prelims
Members
Forum Posts: 588
January 12, 2016 - 9:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

hey,

gl for the challenge.

Quick question: do you play on stars.com only? I think other sites like FTP, 888, party, ipoker or .fr would be easier to grind the role as fields are smaller and opponents generally weaker

cheers

kmid
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 51
January 12, 2016 - 11:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Nathan

What a start to the challenge. Good luck going forward. Given that you’ve only played online you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the relative softness of the fields once you start to play live. As your in Yorkshire a good start at live tournies would be the Elland Road grand prix poker tour stop in April. It’s a great tournament series and the buy-in is only £70 so wont be to brutal on the bankroll. Also satellites and online day 1s run on partypoker, which as florian suggested is considerably softer than stars.  

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
January 12, 2016 - 4:33 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey Guys Thanks for following the challange.

To answer your questions. Florianm1 i do play on other sites other than stars but the bankroll challange is just for stars, i know there field sizes are huge in the low/micros and the variance can be huge but thats what im wanting from this challange a test of how i can handle the variance and keeping my focus while going through these.

Kmid, i am going to play the St James park leg of the GPPT and then going to hopefully play the Elland Road leg, If you are going to either of these let me know it would be nice to meet fellow TPE members in the flesh rather than talking in forums.

Regards

Nathan(barra2088)

kmid
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 51
January 12, 2016 - 8:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ll likely be playing both stops. Will get in touch closer to the event.

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
January 24, 2016 - 4:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey TPE.

Yesterday was a good day we FT’d and won the $2.75 deep stack for $440. We made a deal HU, i had a decent chip lead HU but after 13hrs+ of play on one table i just wanted to finish feeling very tired. I played great throughout the whole tournament and cannot think of many mistakes i made. i am going to review the tournament during the week(might take a little longer than i expect) and if there is any good spots or bad spots i got in i will put them up in here. The bankroll is now upto $1028 but i am not going to move up stakes yet as i feel i still have a big edge in the micros, saying that i will be adding in the big 7.50 and big 8.80 into my schedule, i am also trying to stay away from turbos as much as i can but i have to play them sometimes as they are good for learning push/fold situations and i love to learn more about the game. Thanks for following the blog, on the 2nd Feb i will be doing a whole review of the month of January with a few stats from HEM2 added so if you are good at reading into the stats as i am not the greatest it would be good to get some feedback from you, ill leave it there for now and i hope you have a great Sunday on the felt.

barra2088

Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
Forum Posts: 141
January 24, 2016 - 9:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Keep it up buddy! 🙂

phillabong
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 13
January 25, 2016 - 11:33 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great job Nate!

The information contained in this transmission as well as all documents transmitted herewith are privileged and confidential information.  This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it was sent, and the recipient is obliged to protect this information as appropriate.  If the reader of this e-mail, and/or the documents within is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or reproduction, copying, or storage of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email.

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
January 25, 2016 - 1:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cheers Mike and Phil

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
February 9, 2016 - 2:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey 

Not had much to report on the past couple of weeks but here are my HEM2 stats for Jan 2016 if anyone is any good at reading these and can give me some direction it would be great. Thanks in advance and hopefully i can get some more pics of decent finishes in here in the near future. Also the BR is currently at $820.

Thanks for taking the time to read 

Barra2088

Image Enlarger Image Enlarger Image Enlarger
barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
February 15, 2016 - 5:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi 

We had a win on Friday for $230. The bankroll currently stands at $850 after a bad Saturday and Sunday at the felt.

Image Enlarger
barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
February 17, 2016 - 7:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey 

Forgot to take to get a picture of the lobby after yesterday as i was streaming for the first time. I came second in the $2.20r 2.5k gtd for $518, a pretty good result to say it was my first day on twitch. I am going to start streaming more often now and if you want to come watch me in my journey you can at twitch.tv/barra2088. The stream isn’t the greatest at the minute but hoping to get it there in the future my internet is slow so wasnt able to stream and have my stream on at the same time, some people were saying it had an echo which i am going to try and sort out and in the near future i am going to get an overlay.

I hope you get to tune in and watch me on my journey.

barra2088

Sen
Sunday Major
Members
Forum Posts: 233
February 20, 2016 - 5:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

GG! Looks like you are on fire since your start. I wonder what was your starting roll?

Do you still manage to stick to your 100 BI limitation? If so, just ignore the following paragraph:

My advice if you want to ensure you’ll be successful in your challange: Don’t ever make an exception to your BRM plan. 100 BI isn’t much in a high variance field like these large smallstake tournaments on stars, so if you take a shot from time to time or play SATs for tournaments you aren’t rolled for it is more likely to hurt your progress.

Seems like you probably already reached your 1st goal of $1.25k, just a small suggestion, don’t use these linear steps, as the progress won’t be linear. Something like $600, $1500, $3000, $5000 sounds more realistic.

I have set myself targets to hit during the year and here they are:
– By 31st March Bankroll Upto $1250

– By 30th June Bankroll Upto $2500

– By 30th September Bankroll upto $3750

– By 31st December Bankroll upto $5000

GL for your further progress, keep crushin’! 20k isn’t a huge sample size, but your BB/100 is very high. If you make an update on that, please show this stat filtered by stacksize.

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
February 21, 2016 - 5:49 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Sen,

My starting BR was $500, My BR management is good and id say its over 100BIs i filter stars tournies upto $9 so i don’t get tempted by the bigger BI tournies. My BR currently is $1038 i had to pay some money to set up my twitch stream so took it out the bankroll as i still have plenty of time to make up $250 to hit my 31st Mar target. I will be posting my HM2 stats every month for the previous month just so people can see how ive been doing and if theres any leaks ive let creep in from the previous months that i can sort out.

Thanks for following and taking the time to read my blog

Barra2088

Squallneo
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 12
March 2, 2016 - 6:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Barra,

Well done, impressive results. How many tables do you play at the same time ? Also, do you play the multi-tables SnGs like the 90-man or 180-man ?

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
March 2, 2016 - 3:50 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi Barra,

Well done, impressive results. How many tables do you play at the same time ? Also, do you play the multi-tables SnGs like the 90-man or 180-man ?

Hi mate,

Thanks for taking the time to read and the feedback, i play 4 tables max at the moment but am going to move to 5/6 soon to see how that goes. I did play the $2.50 180 mans at the beginning of the challenge but not since my bankroll passed $750, i am currently working on the push/fold part of my game and then i am thinking of playing a few of these during the week when i have finished work to help up my volume rather than just playing on a weekend. 

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
March 8, 2016 - 7:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey all

I finished 6th on Sunday in the $2.20r $2.5kgtd for $176 not bad but would of loved to win it. We keep getting deep in tournaments which is brilliant also if you don’t fancy reading this all the time you can now follow me on twitch twitch.tv/barra2088 i am going to be streaming my progress on there aswel as updating my blog. Thanks for reading and hope you tune into to watch me on twitch.

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
March 12, 2016 - 2:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey,

I took down the $3.30 $1k gtd but did a deal HU when he had a 2-1 chip lead. Bankroll is currently at $1100 slowly building it up, dont forget you can also follow me on twitch twitch.tv/barra2088

Image Enlarger

barra2088

Garfieldno
Lighting Money On Fire
Members
Forum Posts: 28
March 26, 2016 - 7:26 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck in your challenge 🙂

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 4582
March 27, 2016 - 12:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

seems like the challenge is going well!  What is the latest?  Keep it up!

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
March 27, 2016 - 12:15 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

seems like the challenge is going well!  What is the latest?  Keep it up!

The latest isn’t the greatest been on a downswing as of late and the BR is currently at $700 but i knew this was going to happen from the beginning, i just have to see if i can bink something before the end of March, if not its re-evaluate time and maybe change the target, but then if i go on a heater and go above my expectation the target will go up.

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
March 27, 2016 - 12:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Also i’m going to change the Title to My Poker Journey or something like that, and have this as a long term goal with short term goals within like the BR challenge and make this a long term thread

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
March 28, 2016 - 1:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So after a huge run of bad results, and spending a lot of time studying with Nervous Mike, i come 2nd in the deep stack i played really well and was happy with my play we got HU and lost AKo<AA AIPF (sigh), but the result puts the bankroll back at $800 and a more workable BR with more studying planned i can feel even more binks coming not just from me but also in Mike’s blog as well so keep an eye out for us in the coming months, we are aiming for the top.wink

Image Enlarger 

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
March 29, 2016 - 1:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey again

I won The Big 7.50 today for close to $1900 1 better than yesterday, The bankroll is currently $1600, $350 above my expected target by the end of March which is good, i have taken some money out to spend on my family and treat them as they have been supportive of me throughout this challenge so far so they deserve rewarding as well. Image Enlarger

MovieFX
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Balla
Members
Forum Posts: 309
March 29, 2016 - 9:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Awesome!!! Congratulations!

SatelliteToStar
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 11
March 30, 2016 - 10:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Congrats on the big win barra! Its great to see you have success at the tables. Keep on grinding.

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
April 21, 2016 - 12:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey,

On Sunday i finished 3rd in the 4.40 8 max for $262, yesterday i finished 5th in the 5.50 Deep stack for $87, and today i FT’d two tournaments the $3.30 for $160 and the $5.50 deep stack for $50. I’ve been playing well as of late and i am looking forward to the SCOOP schedule where i can hopefully post more deep runs in here and maybe just maybe have the challenge finished early wink. The bankroll is currently at $1370

BadAstronaut
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 89
April 21, 2016 - 2:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Christ, you are on an absolute tear. This is very inspirational. Keep up the good play, keep coming with the good deep runs!

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
April 24, 2016 - 5:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

So here i am again with another bink. We did a deal HU but i took the most, I am ecstatic with this one though as the $2r are my favourite tournies and with stars changing the schedule i dont know if these are going to be in there anymore. i am now looking forward to SCOOP and have a few review sessions planned with Nervous Mike in preparation for this series. I hope i am able to post a win from the SCOOP in here, that would make me super happy and probably complete the challenge earlywink .

barra2088
Grinding Micros
Members
April 27, 2016 - 1:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Finished 2nd in the Big 16.50 for $2.1k bankroll now at $3983. May end up finishing this challenge early, if i do i will be keeping this blog live and making myself new goals to keep track of.

MovieFX
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Balla
Members
Forum Posts: 309
May 2, 2016 - 6:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nice work Nathan!!!

rabbhit
Home Game Champ
Members
Forum Posts: 32
May 3, 2016 - 4:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey!

Good work Nathan. Keep it up. Hope to see more of these deep runs in the future!

Svenator
Asperg, Germany
Flounder
Members
Forum Posts: 6
May 4, 2016 - 3:04 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey,

Really looks like you are up to it. Nice work and keep it going!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
44 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1