View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 (1 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
BigSnowball 2014
BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 88
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 27, 2014 - 8:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey TPE.
I’ve never been inclined to write my thoughts/goals out for others, who would be interested being a major reason, but as I enjoy reading other peoples articles and blogs maybe some of you will be.

If you wish to read some background my Introduction is entitled “Happy New Year”. In that you will see that I’m a new father so obviously there are some constraints on the amount of time I get to play. Probably because of that I’ve spent the past few months doing all the wrong things though taking shots, squeezing in sessions, turning to HU and SnGs and Cash or just playing tired basically trying to take short cuts, playing badly and losing. Therefore last week I took a step back and looked at what I was doing well last summer when I was starting to get decent results.

I came up with the following ‘RULES’. By sticking to these I will consider myself to have had a winning session regardless of the $$$$s in my accounts. By writing them here I’m using you guys as leverage (hope you don’t mind) to stick to them throughout the year.

1. DONT PLAY !!
if I’ve not got the time to play at least 180 man.
Otherwise get onto TPE, watch videos, read or even just do something completely different instead.
2. PREPARE PROPERLY !
Obvious, I know, but got into the awful habit of turning computer on and diving in.
Think about how I’m gonna play each stage, what spots to take etc but actually WRITE THEM DOWN each time to implant it better. Have post it notes.

3. NO distractions.
Phone, TV etc

4. GOALS
Spent a few hours at work (I’m spare/standby on occasion) thinking about what I want to achieve, WHY and how I’m going to go about it. The usual Tony Robbins/Jared Tendler stuff but Committed it to paper to read during prep.

5. LOWER THE STAKES.
Bankroll (re)Build with $4.50 180 Mtt and <$10 on Stars. Slightly higher buy ins on other sites if something catches eye. Take shots for the right reason at the right price.

6. FOUR TABLES
Max until I'm back to winning ways. I saw on TPE that playing only a couple tables did Mike Leah no harm. As and when I want to increase tables use the Tendler books to help do this skillfully rather than ploughing in.

I felt really happy about doing all this, put it into practice over the weekend and what do you know? First night out of 8 Mtts, I binked a $22r (with 1 bullet) on 888, was chip leader at FT of 180man (til a button shoved into my KQ bb and got there with KJ), some good deep runs on the second session too but more importantly I felt my decision making in the main was very good, putting them on actual hands quite often and with a far better attitude to the inevitable swings of MTT poker. nothing major certainly not perfect but a promising start.

I'm confident the last two are quite fluid, hopefully playing higher and more as the year goes on. Over time I'll keep you updated with my progress but for now ThankYou for reading.

Good luck to you all
BigSnowball

2headedmonst
Lighting Money On Fire
Members
Forum Posts: 26
January 27, 2014 - 9:07 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds like a great plan and a good set of rules. I really liked how you said that you'll consider it a winning session if you stick the rules regardless of monetary outcome. I think that is smart and will keep you in a proper mindset for a successful year.

ttwist

TPE Pro

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 1230
January 27, 2014 - 10:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

any plan is a good plan and you have put together a great one. Keep us posted on your results if possible

weeeeee
Lexington Kentucky
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 75
January 28, 2014 - 10:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

ttwist, that is some good goals. I will be watching this thread definately.

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
January 30, 2014 - 3:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.
My son is 10 weeks old so as I say my volume will not be great for a few weeks yet but I’m looking forward to updating the blog regularly as the year progresses

I’ve joined Twitter as BigSnowballSi if anyone is interested in following.

Cheers

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
February 5, 2014 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

MY SUPERBOWL SUNDAY

BRAG TIME In the Official NFL.com’s Weekly Pick ’em I came 785 out of at least 170000. A good deep run but Picking San Fran and against Seattle every week cost me a higher position 🙂

Well I was pretty excited as Sunday was my only day off I thought I’d get a session in then watch whatever was left of the game. I’m a 49ers fan, due to the fact that when NFL came to UK screens in 1982 my dad pulled them in a sweep at the pub. There are five live games a week shown here, Thursday Night, Triple Header Sunday and MNF plus obviously highlights of all the other TDs and highlights as they happen. I don’t think they should have a franchise in London though. You can fill Wembley with 95000 every week but people who have supported a team for 30+ years are never going to change the allegiance to a new London outfit. At best they’ll be everyone’s “second team” not really a done thing here.

Anyways back to being excited… After a long week at work and with little sleep (not complaining my little lad is as good as 1849 gold) the time came to fire up the PC and get cracking when I looked at “My Rules” smiled and went to bed. No way was I in a fit state to play and no chance if I was awake I’d leave the tv off while the game was on.

So no poker news this week but I see that as a positive, like a good lay down. I know my time playing will be limited for the next few weeks but when I do play it will be quality time and hopefully I’ll be writing here about some decent wins.

Good Luck everyone
Big Snowball

BTW Who won??? :-S

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
March 4, 2014 - 7:06 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well a month on and nothing much to report really due to lack of playing time.
I have had perhaps 5 sessions and feel I have played much better, no actually more consistently for longer into the session rather than simply better, by following the rules I’ve given myself. Final Tabled a few 180 man on Stars. Liking the $11 Prog KO. (I know I know I said under $10 on Stars) a lot. Biggest disappointment was a second from a healthy chip lead when I also had $80 in KOs.

I did have a SnG session however it was when I’d planned a full session but things here overran. I could’ve perhaps should’ve reviewed some hands but I was ready to play, prepared properly and tbh wanted to play some poker!

I have spent many hours on TPE. Watching vids and browsing the forums. Enjoyed plenty but I should post a lot more often especially when I disagree with what’s being said (in Strat forum) as this obviously is a great way to learn.

As I said not much to report but I wanted to keep this up and hopefully will have plenty more content as the year goes by.

Good Luck

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
April 3, 2014 - 11:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

38 TODAY !!

Yep another year rolls by. Nearly didn’t make it much past 37th bday (burst gangrenous appendix I thought was a tummy bug nearly did for me) but am back to good health if not quite full (or half) fitness.
Still not as much poker as I’d like to be playing but my baby is well and starting to sleep more now so hopefully this will be a new start, no more setbacks and I can kick on as I hoped to do 12 months ago having just enjoyed lessons from Benwa.

I didn’t want this to be Monthly blog as it has so far been but again nothing much to report. I have enjoyed a few deep runs spoiled I think mainly by getting a little tired/impatient after hour 5/6 and trying to force things but also could’ve accumulated chips better when I had top 10 stacks.

Finally as this is the “Goals section” I want to put on record that I am aiming for poker to be my major source of income by my 40th birthday and am aiming to be at the WSOP the same year !
A long way to go but I think a two year timescale is reasonable from where I am now.

For now I’m off for a meal with Mrs Snowball and a few scoops in the local
CHEERS BigSnowball.

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
May 11, 2014 - 6:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

iNSANITY – Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

Time to take a break as I’m having the sh*t kicked out of me.
Part of it is variance I guess but mainly p*ss poor decision making costing me, whether it be a badly timed bluff, not seeing a short stack, game selection or a simple lack of patience my head is not working as it was 12 months ago when it comes to poker. Tbf this is undoubtably due to not having more than three and a half hours continuous sleep at a time since last year.

I strongly feel if I manage to play by the rules listed above I will be a winning player AND achieve my goals but for now things at home are not conducive to being successful so stopping for 3/4 weeks (maybe more) is for the best.

Best of luck to you all.

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
September 4, 2014 - 5:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

BACK IN THE GAME !!

After my self enforced break from playing and a crazy summer moving house, job and enjoying watching everyone else’s updates from WSOP things have sufficiently settled down enough for me to play some poker again, hopefully now with a clearer mind and a little un that sleeps more.
I had my first session on Friday and having watched the BigDog’s (THANK YOU BD) excellent series I reg’d for (approx) 6or7 $8 and $15 180 SnG. Took 2nd in a $15 (also made quite a bit on Zoom while I had one table left). Having more time on Sunday I reg’d for some Mtts but with no real results to write home about.

That was all fun but I wanted to get back to my original plan from the beginning of the year. I noticed the thread re 180 challenge and helped me decide that I should do similar. Hopefully this will be an effective BR Builder AND begin to entrench the disciplines I outlined in my original post

Therefore I have decided to play a 100 $2.50 180 SnGs before playing ANY other form of SnG/MTT logging the results and thoughts here. I will block my results as follows
A 180-90. B 89-28 C 27-10 D 9-4 E 3-2 F 1st

After one session of 8 SnGs on Tuesday I had 7 As and 1 F !!

92 to go

GL BigSnowball

Nervous Mike
Sweden
Midstakes Master
Members
Forum Posts: 141
September 4, 2014 - 5:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck! I look forward to see how the challenge goes!

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
September 5, 2014 - 5:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Mike

Tonight’s session of 12 resulted as follows
Cat A 7
Cat B 4
Cat E 1

So a bit more profit but all down to one tourney. The early KOs were due to shoving into monsters or losing flips; fair enough. I maybe should’ve done better with some big stacks that ended up in Cat B trying.
Was big chip leader of three when induced from SB w A7o which flopped two pair but lost to K8o and the guy went to town on me in chat box coz I “kept raising so deserved it” hahaha
Ah well 20 down 80 to go

GL all

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 4582
September 6, 2014 - 4:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

welcome back to the grind!

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
September 7, 2014 - 6:36 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks KB

Nice and simple today 0/10

NFL picks nearly as bad. I’m looking at you NE, NO, CHI and BALTIMORE !

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
September 11, 2014 - 6:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Had short session today. Started up three table expecting to reg more when reqd.
Ended going quite deep in all three
1 B 1 C 1 D

Had FT chip lead and quite a big one til double barrelled on button v 3rd place BB (5 left) with nothing, three hands later KJ<99 so quite disappointing. Need to figure out better the line between bullying and conserving the biggest stack.

Third of the way through
A 22
B 7
C 1
D 1
E 1
F 1

Not greatest but double my money up to now and already a better feel for the mid stages so hopefully better things to come.

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
September 16, 2014 - 11:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

LIVING ON A PRAYER !!
50 gone

Totals A 32
B 12
C 1
D 2
E 2
F 1

Think that’s fifty…. I’m quite surprised how often I bust in first half but with the exception of a few of the early games they have been at the 50/100 level or the big pair losing.
Even if I don’t cash another I’ll show a small profit for the 100. Hoping to go a lot better though (obviously)

What the “challenge” has been good for is showing me that I can fail to cash 88% of the time and still have that profit so I’m not getting as frustrated at being knocked out. Long may that continue.
I’m off work this week so hoping to have the 100 done in no time. Fingers Xd for a few more wins !

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
September 18, 2014 - 6:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

As I said at the end of the last post I’m off this week so yesterday morning I decided to play some full MTTs on Stars and one on Full Tilt. The Big $16 ended quite quickly (when I didn’t fold AK on KK784 when should have) but held a chip lead in the three others I entered. $8 500 max and $5r $7.5k gtd on Stars and $26 $4k (about 100 runners) on FT. I somehow punted the latter but had a 13 and 2 respectively in the others for a nice little confidence booster, not to mention 4 figure BR boost.

By sticking to the plan from my original post (I knew it was a good one;-) it feels like a lot of things are starting to come together and hopefully this can be the start of a nice little run up to the end of the year and beyond.

Watch this space

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
September 19, 2014 - 7:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Soooooo I will continue the 100 SnGs but not at the $2.50 stakes. Played four $8/$15 tonight min cashing a $15 and winning another for another tidy night. If you’ve not watched the BigDog series on 180s I really can’t recommend it highly enough.

Was doing great in the Friday Fight Night on FT at same time, top 5 w 50 left and seven bounties or so, but had a rush of blood after the win and ran into another top 10 stack w KK. Was a double p*ss*r as his 88s beat my nines AIPF an hour earlier an when I looked ten mins later his chip lead had disintegrated into mid table.
Ah well. Day off probably tomorrow and back at it on Sunday

CAN’T WAIT

In other news I’m 18/22000+ on the UK NFL fantasy game. Would probably be higher if Falcons had kept Ryan and Jones inthe game last night. I can feel a trip to the SUPERBOWL coming on

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
September 23, 2014 - 3:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Round up of last three sessions…

A 12
B 7
C 5
F 1

As I said in the last post a mixture of $8s and $15s with the Win being in a $15. The Cs are really frustrating though as I feel once I get that far I should be finishing in at least the Top 3.

25 to go to finish this “challenge” but with being back at work can see me playing these 180 a lot over next few months.

BigSnowball
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
December 23, 2014 - 10:58 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I started this thread with intention of it being the leverage I needed to stick to rules I drew up at the start of the year. Clearly I’ve been abysmal at keeping it going, primarily for the reasons I’ve gone on about earlier although during the past few months (since starting the 180man challenge and getting back into good habits) I have managed to put some results together which I hope can be a decent foundation to start again after Christmas.

Past 120 days: 442 MTTs ABI $15 ITM 15% ROI 46%
Five 1st places
Six 2nd
Two 3rds
Nine other Top Tens

Obviously think things could’ve been much better (don’t we all?). Messed up a MicroMillions FT to finish 6th and got in very good preflop v Chip Leader of Bigger $55, for a top 5 stack with 21 left, being two prime examples of what “might have been”

On the plus side I know I can play a little bit but need to make some big improvements especially in the following
PREPARATION: too many bad starts to sessions when I’ve suddenly found time and gone straight into playing.
BANKROLL MANAGEMENT ie NOT fill table space with SnGs or worse Spin&Gos when too late to start another MTT.
REVIEWING MY OWN HANDS: when I’ve had time to go on PC I’ve always used it to play.

Thanks to all at TPE I really enjoy the site.
Best wishes to everyone for Christmas and the New Year
GOOD LUCK at the tables
BS

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
17 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1