View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
Follow a US "reg" through 2014
Bangarang
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 14
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 17, 2013 - 1:54 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to my thread! I'll be using it as a blog, to post goals, to post trouble hands, and just mark my progression as a poker player. This will be my intro post and probably quite lenghthy, but I hope you stick it out. I invite anyone to join in the discussion, ask questions, or to just say hello.

About Me

My names Pat. I've been a member of TPE on and off for about a year and a half. Sadly enough probably more off time than on, but I really plan on that changing in 2014. For some of the US players you may recognize me as xTrickx on Merge, BigGigantic on the Winning Network, or formely trickster3261 on Merge and FireTilt on Revolution. I'm Revis Island on 2+2 and pocketfives.

I've been playing poker for about 9 years now. In the beginning I never took it seriously, just playing house games and donking off at Turning Stone now and then. I played almost exclusively micro cash all the way from 2006 on Party Poker until April 2012 when I was still playing micro cash on Juicy Stakes. I'd throw in the occasional live tourney and live 1/2 session. I did chop a live tourney for $5k at Turning Stone November 2011, but it still took me a while to get fully invested in MTT's. 

Things really changed for me in 2012. I got in a random $2.75 rebuy on Juicy in April and ended up shipping it. From then on, I was hooked on tournaments. Funny how a couple hundred dollars online could switch me to MTT's, but $5k couldn't lol. I played micro and low buyins not really knowing what I was doing, but ended up making a small profit. I got on Merge a few months later and was lucky enough to get a 2nd in the old Dollar Frenzy for a couple hundred in August 2012. I knew push/fold, and was just learning things like 3b shoves, but this was enough for me to beat the micros for a small profit. This is when things truly changed for the better.

It was September 2012 and I was surfing 2+2 just casually applying to stables and people looking for horses. I was extremely lucky in that I found aznxray and pkratitsbest. I was even luckier that they wanted to turn a micro donk like me into a profitable midstakes MTTer. They accepted me and soon I was under their wings. Since then it's been no looking back and I can say that between some coasting here and there I've seen solid progression in my game in the year plus that I've been with them. I started out being backed for $11 freezeouts and $3 rebuys. Currently, I can play up to $215s, even though I do game select things like the nightly high roller out of my schedule. 

I haven't quite gotten over the hump yet in 2013. I've been close to some 5 figure scores multiple times and I feel like I've left a lot of money on the table. I have multiple $1k-$2k scores and a few bigger, but nothing that has made me seriously think about quitting everything for poker. That's where this thread comes in. I have periods of being complacent, and not doing anything to work on my game. No vids, no hh review, nothing. I just hate to think how if I used my time wiser in those aspects how much better I would be. I'm hoping this thread will keep me on track.

I've droned on long enough. My next update will be my goals and expectations, short term and long term. Good luck at the tables.

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 4582
December 17, 2013 - 2:38 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck!  as a fellow US reg this will be fun to follow!

Bangarang
Playing Freerolls
Members
December 17, 2013 - 2:35 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks KB! And gl to you at the tables, I'm sure I'll be seeing you around quite a bit we seem to play a lot of the same MTT's.

Bangarang
Playing Freerolls
Members
January 1, 2014 - 10:38 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Been a bit busy with the holidays, but now that those are behind us, it's time to look forward to 2014. I like to do short-term and long-term goals. Some will go hand in hand. Some will be added and taken away as I go month to month.

Short-Term Goals

-125 MTT's in January

-Watch 15 TPE videos in January

-Review one MTT of my own per week

-Review all of my bustout hands

-Post two hands in the forum per month

-One coaching lesson per week, whether it's with my backer or with one of my students

Long-Term Goals for 2014

-$100k badge on PocketFives by July 1st

-1500 MTT's 

-$25k in total profit

-Have my first 5 figure score

-Have $5k+ live score

-Finish TPE University (this might be too ambitious?)

-Track all of my live play, I don't track it at all right now

I think that about covers it. Eventually I'll be spicing it up with screen-shots, HH's and results. I might throw in a little video discussion of some concepts and theory, but may leave that to the vid comment sections.

Bangarang
Playing Freerolls
Members
January 9, 2014 - 12:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, not too much to update on. Played Sunday and had a pretty terrible day, but I feel like I'm making up for it off the felt. I've done a few hh reviews with a student and I've been watching quite a few vids.

I'll be leaving for vacation to SC in a few days. Thinking about going to Harrah's Cherokee while I'm down there. Also, depending how that trip goes I'm going to try to make it to the Borgata for the $2 million gtd on my way home. It'll be hard to miss that one.

Bangarang
Playing Freerolls
Members
January 16, 2014 - 6:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Had a nice relaxing vacation even though the travel sucked. With two 14 hour drives I had plenty of time to listen to some podcasts. I also watched a few videos while I was down there. I think it's just what I needed to recharge and get ready to start grinding again. I'm playing a session today, I'll be playing one tomorrow as well as Sunday. Hopefully there'll be some good news to share with the next update.

Bangarang
Playing Freerolls
Members
January 24, 2014 - 12:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just gotta post a small update. Was running not so great and then completely snapped out of it. Got lucky a few times, played not too bad, and shipped the $55 5k on Black Chip. The pot to get things in the right direction was KK>AA, from there on I really couldn't do much wrong.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t400/Trick32/555kwinJan2014_zps5f794ebc.pngImage Enlarger

Big Sunday this week on Merge with there being double $100k gtds, double $10k gtds as well as the $1 $10k gtd. That thing is going to be a crapshoot but pretty fun. Hoping I can turn things around on there, I haven't had much success on there at all as of late. I'm gonna keep working, get in a few more vids and look over a few hands to stay fresh until then.

Bangarang
Playing Freerolls
Members
February 25, 2014 - 1:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I took somewhat of a break toward the end of January and beginning of February. I got sidetracked with the renovations getting done to my house, being busy at work and also trying to spend a little more time with my girlfriend. Having a pretty terrible Sunday didn't help either. I have a bad habit of taking a couple days off and letting it snowball into a week or more. I'm a strong believer that grinding is a skill that you acquire. It's hard to put in solid volume month after month. That being said, I've been back playing for a few weeks with some ok results.

To pick up where I last left off here, I had a terrible day on Merge for the double guarantees. Lost a good chunk of money, I only mincashed in both of the $11 10ks. That kind of discouraged me a little bit and that's when the break started. I've come back fairly strong since then. I've put together a couple winning days thanks to a 1st in the Nightly $60 on Merge and two third places in the $55 5k on Winning. Definitely some run good involved, but I feel good about my game as well. 

Off the tables I've been slacking a little bit too. I need to definitely continue to watch videos and go over more HH reviews. My goal for the rest of February is to continue to work on my game and get better each day. 

Douggyfr3sh
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 181
March 16, 2014 - 9:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Will be following!  I have similar issues with lack of studying.  I don't do HH review and generally don't study or watch many videos.  I'm hoping to change that this year and to grind a ton of MTTs!  GL!

Bangarang
Playing Freerolls
Members
March 18, 2014 - 3:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the reply. I've been slacking off quite a bit this month. I always get caught up in March Madness and pay less attention to poker this time of year. I've been playing here and there with not really much of anything to mention. I've been working a little more the past week or two in anticipation of the BDPO and OSS. With both of those series running I'll be taking a lot of time off of work to play. My goal is to make a push to win the OSS leaderboard and see if I can bink myself a live package.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
12 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1