View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
On my way to Supernova in 2014
jungix
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 14
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 2, 2014 - 5:51 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi,

I am new to TPE, see my introduction here : …../jungix/ 

I create this thread to post about my 2014 goals and achievements.

As stated in the title my goal is to become supernova. My bankroll is currently 7k and I want to achieve this without reinjecting any funds, I'm going to play small and increase the stakes as I build my bankroll. I played a lot in december and stakes too high for my bankroll : I won 12k VPP that month by playing 25k of tournaments but I can't really handle this variance and will more 5-20 tournaments and less 75-100.

I wanted to kickstart the year with a good Jan 1st, and I did:
72 tournaments (including S&G).
700 VPP earned
1100 usd profit (out of 1500 buy-in)
won a 180 MTTSNG 15usd turbo for 743
finished 2nd in a 54 knockout for 706
incredible performance in SNG with also 520 usd profit (108% ROI) on 30usd 18 pplayers turbo SNG including 2 win and 3 second place out of 16 SNG.

I am playing MTTs and adding the SNG for 2 reasons : diminish variance that is crushing in 1000+ players MTT with long downswings, and also to train my late stage play : I have downloaded the trial version of sitngowizard and I am reviewing my play. I am learning much about my game and in particular that I play the cards too much and the position too little : shoving a bit too much short stack early position and shoving too tight in SB in particular, especially when I am the short stack. Also calling a little bit too light usually : my errors are usually small -EV but close depending on ranges, no huge leak except failing to push the SB in ATC situations (tough for me to push 63o).

My other goals are :

* Keep reviewing my late play in sitngowizard
* Keep going through TPE university : I am currently at step 2 early stages and absolutely loving bigdogs videos in general : the way he describes what he does and why seems just so clear to me.
* Focus on the suck outs and positive thinking : it's easy to blame pokerstars for being rigged and to  think i am the most unlucky player in the world so I want to remember when it goes my way too to help digest all those bad beats:
A) i won the 180 15usd MTT after having suck out an ace on the river with AQ vs KK when all in pre with 10BB and about 20 left
B) i finished second in a 30usd 18 SNG for 150 usd after winning an all in with the same hand AQ vs KK on a board runout 66K66 for the runner runner suck out

Target is to reach 2k VPP by the end of the week (on top the bonus) and hopefully win some more money in the process.

Jungix 

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 4582
January 3, 2014 - 2:55 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

good goals, keep grinding and keep updating this thread!

jungix
Playing Freerolls
Members
January 6, 2014 - 8:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi,

Posting an update on my progress.

I have reached now 3750 VPP on pokerstars including the bonus. That amounts to 6k of buy-in already this month which is almost the size of my bankroll, so big turnover with about 280 tournaments played including sitngos.

Overall my P&L has not been impressive with a lot of busting and a few bad beats, including a big cooler on a final bubble where I busted BvB defending A5s to a minraise 25BB deep and getting it in on a A75r flop to see villain turn over 77.

But a few positives.
– Even though I have been pretty unsuccesful in reaching FT of large MTTs, I have won the last 3 when reaching the FT, 600 in one and 743 in another 15usd 180 MTT today. Overall out of my last 11 final tables I won 5 and finished 2nd twice so this is really very positive and I hope to repeat when I reach a FT with decent prizes.
– I am still massively up on 2-table sitngos, up 650usd for almost 40% ROI : if this keeps going well I will slowly move up and take a shot at the 60usd ones. I really appreciate the lower variance of those to smoothen the P&L.

There are 2 other goals I forgot to mention for myself:
– I will take a shot at a big live tournament this year, either the WSOP ME or the EPT London where I live. To train I will probably do the £1k UKIPT beforehand.
– I have been playing way too much. I work 10h a day and play 7h a day on average with an average sleep of 5h I'd say. This is way too much and I need to balance a bit more my personal life, getting to the gym and my sleep. Playing less but more focused and energized is really  important.

Net P&L I am flattish, +379usd YTD or 6% ROI, definitely want to do better.

I have been very disciplined in bankroll management this week. I have not exceeded 55 buy-in any tournament except on sunday where I did the bigger 109 and sunday million. 

Poking_Fun
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 166
January 8, 2014 - 4:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jungix, be careful with the shots in $109+ tournaments if your bankroll is 7k and you do not want to reinvest. I have had first hand experience last year of taking too many shots in the $109-215 range and it showed dramatically in my ROI.

Look up my thread in the goals and challenges where I have identified some issues I had with bankroll management. My roll is similar to yours and I have identified a schedule to play which will help me build lots of points and manage variance (hopefully!). I also work a full time job and know that my schedule is probably still tight for time but achievable. Much depends on whether you are a single person with no kids I reckon!

Good luck!

jungix
Playing Freerolls
Members
January 8, 2014 - 8:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you for your input. I just read your post and it seems you have suffered a lot with the 109+ shots.

I am indeed working, single with no kids, my bankroll is actually sized compared to my savings and the money i make outside. It’s big enough that I won’t waste it but won’t change my daily lifestyle : if I make or lose 10k it won’t change anything to my lifestyle and I’m able to redeposit if needed. What I don’t want though is to be the fish and keep losing and reinjecting money : if I lost 10k/year I would be upset, as much about the money itself as about being a losing player. I currently have no clue about my long term ROI on the 109+ due to the small sample.

This week end was actually very disciplined for me : I have been extremely aggressive in my BR management earlier on. Check my graph jungix on sharkscope it’s brutal : after each big 5k+ win I got crushed by playing too big : I was hoping to get in a rush and get a 6 figure win. I have not only played a few shots but I had an average buy in of around 100 at some point : one Sunday I played almost all the majors including the warmup, million, 215 second chance and 215 supersonic. I even considered taking shots in the Sunday 500 or Super Tuesday.
But of course I lost 2k that day and flet pretty bad about it so since then I am using a more conservative bankroll management : will keep doing so and try to build a bigger bankroll by grinding and move up ABI little by little not exceeding 0.5% of my bankroll. A few shots are ok and exciting but I don’t want to blow my bankroll again.

Poking_Fun
High Stakes Shark
Members
January 8, 2014 - 8:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hear you Jungix. That is pretty much a carbon copy of where my graph is probably at too. It seems we are making similar adjustments with main difference being that I have a partner to consider too so can’t play as much as you. Good luck with building that roll!!

jungix
Playing Freerolls
Members
January 8, 2014 - 9:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks and good luck to you too !

Playing with a partner must be tough : I don’t really imagine saying to my ex gf that I couldn’t eat out because I had just started the big 55 and that I could finish at 10, midnight, 2am or 4am if I wen to the FT haha.

Regarding this variance I think it will be easier to move up in the sit n gos but will do so very slowly cause I think the level of the regs must increase dramatically as you move up.

Poking_Fun
High Stakes Shark
Members
January 8, 2014 - 4:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Actually, my partner is really supportive and I tend to stick to predefined times of playing so that I’m not taking the p***!

With the SNGs I think as you step up no doubt ROI will drop. I can’t imagine too many players with an ROI of more than 5% once they get to $60 buy-ins. It seems that the method is a volume game to earn VIP points and cash rewards on top of a small ROI. FWIW I’m starting now at $30 9 and 18 mans on Stars. I am pretty sure I will be profitable in those given that I used to exceed 4% ROI pre Black Friday on FTP. I have reviewed my first handful of games having played $15-30 last week as a trial and I felt the standard was fairly weak even in the $30 games. My plan is to move up to $60 assuming I can comfortably beat the $30 games after say 1,000 tournaments.

If you want to do some study on the SNG side of things I might be interested in that if you are?

jungix
Playing Freerolls
Members
January 8, 2014 - 7:24 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Good for you if she is supportive of poker !

I will focus mostly on the 30usd 18players, moving up to 60usd potentially after a while (so far I have been running good, need a bigger sample to measure that ROI before moving up). On top of that I will keep playing 180 15usd and I have just started 35usd. Yes it could be interesting to review the sitngos too. My pseudo is jungix there I guess we will play a lot against each other !
In my MTT schedule I will try to focus a bit more on the <500players ones instead of the large fields >2k. I feel I have a large edge in the sunday storm for instance but am pretty negative on it so far due to the field being so big and so tough to get a real deep finish.

Otherwise glad to update my results : my bankroll is back at 8k and profit to 1750usd YTD (24% ROI) thanks to another win, I have been running like God in final tables winning my last 4 in a row: this time the prize is bigger also, I won the 33eur turbo tonight for 1400 eur cool

Poking_Fun
High Stakes Shark
Members
January 9, 2014 - 4:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well done, definitely sounds like we will be playing SNGs against each other a fair bit laugh

If you are on Skype, PM me your details and I will set up a contact if you're up for some SNG discussion. Be good to bounce some ideas around with someone operating at a similar level.

Good luck with the grind!

jungix
Playing Freerolls
Members
February 2, 2014 - 5:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

Update on my progress.

P&L is not that great, I am at -1500usd (-5%) ROI. I have lowered a bit my buy-ins, I don't do many 55 any more, only the big55 most days and i skip most large fields 44 turbo, 55 turbo etc.

The variance in MTTs is really crushing, I realize that playing with a bankroll of 200 ABI should be enough for 200ish players MTTs, however when playing the pokerstars daily bigs where the field is usually >2k one would theoretically need a much bigger bankroll.

A few positive points though:

– I am playing better than ever and I master pretty well the push/fold ranges but I get better and better with the 3bet shove ranges vs opponent positions/stats

– I have had a few very deep runs in MTTs but unfortunately busted just when the money got really big, finished 9th/2600 in the saturday speedway 33usd turbo and yesterday finished 9th/4750 in the big 22. Only 720usd in the end but was one card away from a double up and ICM stack of 6-7k when a flush on river ended it. Hopefully the next one i'll get top3 and a 5 figures payoff. I also finished 36th in the big55 yesterday.
– To reduce variance I have been doing many more 180man sng (and not too many 18man anymore) which i have been crushing on a small sample, In 250sng 15usd turbo I have several final tables including 3 1st and 3 2nd places. I have done about 50 35usd and I have 3 top5 finished including a win for 1700 usd. So very positive in those. 

I am net about -3k in 55usd+ tournaments on a small sample size (65 tourneys) due to large fields and a lack of FT : compensated by SNGs and the few smaller buy ins tourneys where I've perdormed 

I do now more sit n gos during the week (basically laucnhing 5-6 big tourneys and adding sit n gos as i bust) while on the week-end I do mostly larger MTTs. 

I have changed my view about bankroll management. I had reduced at some point my buyins and even stopped the big55 for a few days when my bankroll got to 4k, but now I've decided to put a floor on the buy-ins I do if I run bad. I'm not a pro and busting my bankroll would not be the end of the world so I will play what I like and if I bust so be it I'll reinject a bit more, but the large MTTs are what's fun where you can hope to score big payouts (my goal is not to grind even if that meant winning 10usd an hour). I'll practice a very strict bankroll management when i get my next big payoff though, ie if i win big i wont start playing the big109, big162 etc everyday as i understand that with the variance it's burning money on fire.

I'm almost through the videos of step3 in the TPE university as well 

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
32 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1