View Plans & Pricing

If you are signed in and are seeing this message, please be sure you have selected a user name in My Profile. The forum requires it.
A A A
Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed
Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 Topic Rating: 1 (5 votes) 
sp_TopicIcon
February 6th, 2014 - Tournament Strategy and Hand Analysis with Andrew Brokos
Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 4582
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 6, 2014 - 3:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

New podcast episode is up with the one and only Andrew Brokos.

…..ew-brokos/

Let us know what you think!

ttwist

TPE Pro

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 1230
February 6, 2014 - 5:45 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

You guys really knocked this one out of the park. Well done fellas

Chuck Blaze
Small Stakes Grinder
Members
Forum Posts: 77
February 6, 2014 - 10:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

enjoyed it very much so far. casually listened to the first part to and from work. loved it. I'll listen to the strategy segment tomorrow when I can fully concentrate and I'm sure with Brokos it'll be top notch.

ShowbizTom
Nottingham England
Lighting Money On Fire
Members
Forum Posts: 26
February 7, 2014 - 6:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Loved it!! Already praised it on twitter but had to come on here and say how much i liked it. I loved the pauses of Ron Fez and killingbird as they tried to catch up with Andrews thought process 🙂 . Big Dog to go on Thinking Poker next? i would love to hear him talking philosophy and computer code with Nate.smile

TBMeyer42
Playing Freerolls
Members
Forum Posts: 14
February 8, 2014 - 2:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great podcast.  Really appreciated getting more background from Andrew.  

I could so relate to RFB's comment about his play right after reading Ed Miller's book, “Playing the Player”.  It's taking me a while to work through that, and I'm enjoying the change of perspective.  Can't imagine going from that right into a big tournament.

Oriah88
Los Angeles
Flounder
Members
Forum Posts: 8
February 8, 2014 - 9:02 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

do we know the result of the last hand from the strategy session?

oh yeah — great episode. cool  One of the best to date.

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
February 9, 2014 - 1:17 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oriah88 said:

do we know the result of the last hand from the strategy session?

oh yeah — great episode. cool  One of the best to date.

not yet, but will let you know when/if we hear.  and glad you enjoyed it!

MrPunty
Grinding Micros
Members
Forum Posts: 52
February 10, 2014 - 2:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I love the TPE podcast, and love the Thinking Poker podcast, and found this to be incredibly disappointing because of the poor choice of the hand used in the strategy discussion.  You don't get a world renowned chef on your program and ask him how to make mashed potatoes.  Sure, you'll get valuable information presented well (as you did in your talk with Andrew), but in the end you're still just getting a bunch of mashed spuds.  With all due respect to the podcast listener who submitted the hand, when you have as great a mind as Andrew on your show for an interactive strategy discussion, I think you can get more utility for your listeners by talking about a much more interesting hand.

bennymacca
Adelaide Australia
Road Gambling with Doyle
Members
Forum Posts: 2616
February 10, 2014 - 4:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

MrPunty said:

I love the TPE podcast, and love the Thinking Poker podcast, and found this to be incredibly disappointing because of the poor choice of the hand used in the strategy discussion.  You don't get a world renowned chef on your program and ask him how to make mashed potatoes.  Sure, you'll get valuable information presented well (as you did in your talk with Andrew), but in the end you're still just getting a bunch of mashed spuds.  With all due respect to the podcast listener who submitted the hand, when you have as great a mind as Andrew on your show for an interactive strategy discussion, I think you can get more utility for your listeners by talking about a much more interesting hand.

wow, i think you are being pretty harsh here. and if you think this is such a simple hand, then maybe you are either too good to be listening to the podcast, or you misunderstood some of the subtleties of the hand. 

i, for one, loved the podcast and i thought the hand was interesting enough – sure there have been more interesting ones in the past, but i think sometimes people get into the habit of every hand they analyse being a super tough spot, where even though it might be for a big pot, it happens so infrequently that it doesnt hurt our expectation much. 

and then they have glaring fundamental errors which are missed because they are always talking about having to fold a full house or somesuch. not saying you are one of these people, just that you shouldnt dismiss “simple” hands like you seem to have done here

MrPunty
Grinding Micros
Members
February 10, 2014 - 6:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Benny, I'm neither too good to be listening to the podcast nor did I misunderstood some of the subtleties of the hand (which is a nice way of saying that I'm too bad to fully appreciate it).  I simply thought that hero's line showed a fairly glaring lack of fundamentals and while listening to Andrew Brokos leakbust a fundamentally flawed line may be good because of his thoroughness and his ability to cogently organize his thoughts, it doesn't make a discussion of the hand very interesting.   The TPE boys said that they pulled this hand out of the mailbag the very morning of recording – that doesn't sound like an indication of a thoughtful selection process as much as an “oh shit, we have to do a freaking podcast tonight and need a hand!” moment.  I could be wrong – you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

RonFezBuddy
New York City

TPE Management
Forum Posts: 2313
February 10, 2014 - 6:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think you might just be better at poker than you are giving yourself credit for.  You said that the hero displayed glaringly bad fundamentals…in my opinion those hands make for really interesting hands because they put us in uncommon situations that force us to think about how to handle reactions we aren't used to.  Given that we spent nearly an hour on it and stimulated  discussion from Andrew regarding value targeting and categorizing ranges I think it was an interesting enough spot.  

It may not have suited you but it's definitely not for a lack of selection prep.  We looked about 10 hands, including some of the most popular hands on the forum in the last month or so.  We selected this one because it represents a common situation for our listeners in that it was a lower stakes live game with pretty generic/bad opponents.  We did have a second hand ready, so perhaps that would have been better for our higher level listeners, but this unexpectedly took an hour and we had to cut short.

bennymacca
Adelaide Australia
Road Gambling with Doyle
Members
February 11, 2014 - 4:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

MrPunty said:

Benny, I'm neither too good to be listening to the podcast nor did I misunderstood some of the subtleties of the hand (which is a nice way of saying that I'm too bad to fully appreciate it).  I simply thought that hero's line showed a fairly glaring lack of fundamentals and while listening to Andrew Brokos leakbust a fundamentally flawed line may be good because of his thoroughness and his ability to cogently organize his thoughts, it doesn't make a discussion of the hand very interesting.   The TPE boys said that they pulled this hand out of the mailbag the very morning of recording – that doesn't sound like an indication of a thoughtful selection process as much as an “oh shit, we have to do a freaking podcast tonight and need a hand!” moment.  I could be wrong – you know, that's just, like, my opinion, man.

yeah fair point, i guess we all butcher hands from time to time, and i think this could stimulate more discussion than andrew saying how well this guy played, as RFB mentioned. 

sorry didnt mean to be harsh with my comments, wasnt my intention

MrPunty
Grinding Micros
Members
February 11, 2014 - 2:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bennymacca said:

sorry didnt mean to be harsh with my comments, wasnt my intention

Not taken that way – and in the end, it's nobody's problem but my own if I get butt-hurt over the TPE podcast's strategy segment not living up to my own expectations.  As I said, I was just expressing my opinion, which can be taken or left, and so long as RFB doesn't kick me in the balls if he ever meets me, I'll be fine.

bennymacca
Adelaide Australia
Road Gambling with Doyle
Members
February 11, 2014 - 3:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

have to admit, it would be pretty funny just imagining RFB just running up to you and being like “YOU DARE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PODCAST!!!!!” and then kicking you in the nuts and running off

MrPunty
Grinding Micros
Members
February 11, 2014 - 5:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

bennymacca said:

have to admit, it would be pretty funny just imagining RFB just running up to you and being like “YOU DARE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PODCAST!!!!!” and then kicking you in the nuts and running off

Wait – isn't that standard operating protocol?

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
February 12, 2014 - 12:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

well this escalated quickly!  smile

IDontLookLikeTO
Guests
February 12, 2014 - 2:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

LOL at the last few comments.  I enjoyed this episode.  I do wish that you had gotten into another hand or 2 with Andrew but I understand that since so much time was spent on his background and that first hand (which was an OK selection) there was probably limited time.  Hearing so much about Andrew's story was refreshing as we don't get much of that on the Thinking Poker podcast since he's interviewing guests and getting into strategy.  Other than wanting more hands to be covered, I was satisfied with the podcast and thought it was well done.

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
February 12, 2014 - 3:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

thank you sir! it was a fun one to do.

lapp3r30
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
High Stakes Shark
Members
Forum Posts: 176
February 12, 2014 - 6:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good listen!  Only criticism is, I wish it was a slightly better hand to go over when you have a guy like Andrew on the show.

MrPunty
Grinding Micros
Members
February 12, 2014 - 8:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

*Facepalm*

Callmemaybe
Flounder
Members
Forum Posts: 6
April 15, 2014 - 6:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good PODCAST. Been Listening to you guys for a few months, cant get enuf. Keep them coming.

Killingbird
Cary, NC

TPE Management
April 15, 2014 - 11:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

appreciate that! should have a new one as soon as RFB returns from vaca!

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 2780

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

bennymacca: 2616

Foucault: 2067

folding_aces_pre_yo: 1133

praetor: 1033

theginger45: 924

P-aire 146: 832

Turbulence: 768

The Riceman: 731

duggs: 591

florianm1: 588

Newest Members:

Johnelwood

Bocheech21

alexalex2015

oneout2many

JLPicard

Jackarmi

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 24

Topics: 12705

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 1063

Members: 11990

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Administrators: RonFezBuddy, Killingbird, Tournament Poker Edge Staff, ttwist, Carlos

Moderators: sitelock, sitelock_1